Poll: What would you chose as things that annoy/upset you?
People going off topic
Comments that seem innocent but are actually quite snidey
People get aggressive and personal in debates
Returning members not being welcomed wholeheartedly
"I'm back" threads ... then nothing more!
Banal threads
Not enough heated debates that stay focussed
People not openly disagreeing with their mates
Controversial viewpoints not aired
Something else ... please say what in your post
This may useful, but I'm not going to participate
I really don't think this navel gazing helps anyone
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Moans - The Poll!
23-08-2005, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2005 07:18 PM by Dolores.)
Forum Moans - The Poll!

After looking through the Forum Moans thread in the cold light of day, I think there are some very good points which have been made. And as a way forward (or maybe backward, or maybe stagnation!) I've decided to summarise the salient points as a poll to see if we can see if we can perhaps see where people want things to go and then perhaps put some serious thought into making it go in that direction.

The Soapbox forum and the News forum are (as Slipper rightly pointed out) sadly lacking. I certainly don't go in there often enough, but I'm willing to give it a serious go. I know not everyone wants serious stuff but quite often these are the threads that evolve into debate and they don't always have to evolve into personal insults and disregard for other's viewpoints.

Please note votes can be viewed and you can vote for more than one!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Forum Moans - The Poll!
Ok I've ticked my boxes (which you can view fully if you want to!).

I have to admit I've ticked a couple that I'm guilty off myself, namely:

... scared to upset mates on the board by disagreeing
... going off topic (I know I do it sometimes and it's something I really HATE!)
... making snidey coments

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
23-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Forum Moans - The Poll!
I really, really, really detest the going off topic things. It's ok if a discussion leads on to another area but when someone just flings a post in that they think is either witty or funny , I think they are showing disregard and disrespect to 1. the person who started the thread; 2. to the people who have replied and took time to think out their replies. :mad2:

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
23-08-2005, 08:21 PM
Forum Moans - The Poll!
Well I have ticked my boxes, but I should have added 'other' as well. I do find it slightly annoying that people sometimes forget that we are lucky enough to have this forum in the first place and that realisation sometimes gets lost in the usual moans (which I also join in with I hasten to add!) about how it works etc.

I remember a time when we had no SO for a while and despite moaning, falling out and all the other things that pee us off now and again I remember that most of us tried very hard to stay together in another place until SO re-opened! I think that says a lot.

Anyway, thanks to Haydon we do have this forum and regardless of my own personal irritations about it, I am grateful for that, and just for the record, I am not suggesting that no one else appreciates it, I'm just saying that the fact sometimes gets lost in the moans, and by me as well.
23-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Forum Moans - The Poll!
I've voted something else.

I am not a big debatOR, nor a vocalist for any particular thing. But what I do like to do is swap quite witted banter and I have found a place to do it.

I very rarely go in the soap box thread, can't be arsed....I don't like heated debates no matter how friendly they are. But what I really do like is finding people who can share my sense of humour....and here I have found it.

This is a great forum, I have been involved in only 2 before - I tend to give each one my all - in my experience; it's mature, funny and on the whole kind.

As Bonsai says...there are other forums if this dosn't suit you needs, lordy there are only so may hours in the day spare to post....here suits me fine.
23-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Forum Moans - The Poll!
Voice of reason Wrote:Well I have ticked my boxes, but I should have added 'other' as well. I do find it slightly annoying that people sometimes forget that we are lucky enough to have this forum in the first place and that realisation sometimes gets lost in the usual moans (which I also join in with I hasten to add!) about how it works etc.

I remember a time when we had no SO for a while and despite moaning, falling out and all the other things that pee us off now and again I remember that most of us tried very hard to stay together in another place until SO re-opened! I think that says a lot.

Anyway, thanks to Haydon we do have this forum and regardless of my own personal irritations about it, I am grateful for that, and just for the record, I am not suggesting that no one else appreciates it, I'm just saying that the fact sometimes gets lost in the moans, and by me as well.

hear hear Voice! I feel a new thread coming on!!

23-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Forum Moans - The Poll!
Although like Voice there are things about this forum that irritate me, it is the best forum that I have come across and that fact that I am still here, shows that despite these irritations I still enjoy it here.

I think everyone looks for different things from a message board and I think this forum caters for most tastes.
23-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Forum Moans - The Poll!
Mmmmm there's nothing really that annoys me in the grrrr sense of the word...maybe going off topic, but that's the way most real life conversations go, so, hmmm, dunno.

The snide comments etc usually go over my head, the ones that dont I ignore, or have done so far Smile Takes allsorts I suppose, sometimes I do giggle when someone goes off in a huff tho Smile thankfully huffing seems to be pretty rare.

Seems to be very quiet at the moment, I put that down to it being summer hols etc.

Sometimes I dont have much to contribute or cant think of what to say, I seem to be in that mode lately Smile

M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
23-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Forum Moans - The Poll!
I think the main thing for me is when people make innocent comments but they can often have different meaning/agenda behind them.
And people getting aggresive and personal in debates.
I think it was Flip mentioned somewhere else about this, why can't people have honest open debates without taking it personally.
We are all different people and believe in different things.
I actually find it really interesting reading about others beliefs.

I was going to tick the "controversial viewpoints not aired" but then realised that I don't do that, so it would be a bit hypocritical for me to choose that one.
But then again, I don't really discuss controversial stuff in real life with my mates, only my closest and my hubby.

But on the whole, I echo what Voice said, we have a great forum here and Haydon does a great job keeping it going.

[Image: 429.gif]
23-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Forum Moans - The Poll!
I find something that I do annoying.
Sometimes I make a comment and check back to see if nay replies but if there are non in the same day and the thread disapears off the first page I might forget to check back and a few days later if the thread is back on page one I find that several people made comments and I never replied which looks really rude- but honest I just forgot!

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!