Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Freak accidents
19-10-2005, 06:58 AM
Freak accidents

I read an aticle in the paper this morning about the kind of injuries that pop/rock stars have to contend with.

But the one that happened to David Bowie was really freaky. Someone threw a lollipop while he was performing on stage and it hit him in the eye and got caught between his eyeball and eyelid and had to be removed by one of his roadies. Ouch!

I remember an incident as a child when my brother had an air rifle and he had just opened it (don't know the correct term but when it's in half) and closed it again and the end got stuck to my eyelid. So my eyelid was sort of sucked up the barrel. It was more frightening than painful.

Anyway, what freaky accidents have you been involved in?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Freak accidents
Meeting my little sister :laugh:
19-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Freak accidents
although while I was drunk, and i suppose it wasn't really an accident. last week I blew out a candle and the hot wax flew back into my face !!?? and into my eye!! I couldn't remember until someone reminded me.

There are three types of mathmatician:
Those who can count and those who can't!
19-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Freak accidents
We used to have a walkway at the back of our garden, which my dad made so that we could get into the field (actually a disused, overgrown refuse tip!) behind our house. One day, the gang plank broke and I got my leg wedged between the bricks. The choices were to drag me out or knock the wall down. I was dragged out and can still remember the pain of the grazes which I carried for weeks on end. Oooouuuuch!!!!
Find all posts by this user
19-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Freak accidents
my swine of an older brother and his 'gang' [ whom I thought were 'dreamy' even at age 10] were always egging me on to copy them in their mad exploits so they could laugh at me....

one of their favourite games was trying to get right around a house without putting their feet on the ground,{!} by means of walking on walls, jumping from trees to hedges, clambering over garage roofs etc. from front gate back to front gate...

I could never manage it so decided to practice on my own when there was no-one around. I got as far as the neighbours garage [two garden walls, one hedge and a tree :thumbsup:] and delighted with myself swung from the tree and jumped onto what I thought was solid garage roof.

Straight through.

Luckily a very bemused neighbour had been watching my slow progress with some interest and spotted my sudden dramatic disappearance. He rushed over and could hear me moaning in the garage, but it was locked tight and he couldn't get to me. He called the fire brigade, who in turn called the ambulance, so my brother and mates arrived home from school to a full blown blue flashing lights and sirens scene - boy's heaven...

I don't remember 'cos of my concussion but apparantly I had dropped down onto concrete paving, and my head went into a small well that the neighbours used to drain their engine oil into, and there I was, face down, making small bubbly sounds. I'd swallowed some of the gunk, my spine was scraped to the bone and I spent AGES stuck in bed, but my brother had a new found respect for me - mainly 'cos I said it was my own idea. :laugh:

The neighbour still gives me funny looks.

bam bam
19-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Freak accidents
about 7 yrs ago (I was running a big preschool at the time) we were trying to close up as the Monday was a holiday. The girl in the Nursery 'forgot' to take out her garbage full of dirty diapers. A very large sack I might add. I had had the light on checking things out and when I went to get the garbage I turned off the light. Well there was a baby gate I THOUGHT was locked into the doorframe, but alas, no it was just angled up there. When I stepped up I hit it w/ my right knee knocking it down. As it was falling my left foot was stepping on it. I 'baby gate boarded' around the room and had sh#tty diapers and other trash all over me and was in severe pain in my left foot/leg. My boss had happened to stop by and I ended up going to the ER and getting a hot pink fiberglass cast with this ugly flip-flop shoe so I wouldn't have to use cruthches. My boss laughed the whole entire time b/c of how she found me, even though I was screaming in agony!! I had to wear the thing 5 weeks as I had cracked some little bones around my ankle and 'jacked up' some tendons and ligaments. It was hot as hell here at the time, middle of summer. Spencer was 6 mos. old and a healthy, cherubic 6 mos. old I might add. I blasted the girl on the Tuesday and she NEVER forgot her trash again that I remember.

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
19-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Freak accidents
ROTFLMAO!!!! I have a great mental picture of that one MSG!!! :laugh: ouch though!!

bam bam
19-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Freak accidents
The worst accident i had was when i was about 12 years old. I had gone to Spain with my family, and as soon as we arrived i wanted to go in the pool.

Mum and Dad insisted they unpacked first, but within half an hour i was in the pool with my sister. I never swam, i used to do cartwheels and things underwater. They always called me 'the fish' as i spent half my time submerged.

But on this occasion i got cramp in my leg whilst under the water. Luckily for me, a man on the side of the pool noticed i had been under for some time, and he dived in and pulled me out. Also - luckily, he was a doctor.

My leg was so badly cramped the muscle was sticking right out - and my dad and this man spent hours rubbing the leg.

I ended up going to the doctors surgery (being carried there) and i had to wear an elastic bandage for the whole 2 weeks. My dad had been in direct sunlight whilst tending to my leg - and he got sunstroke and ended up in bed for about 4 days.

The holiday was wrecked - but, i could easily have drowned.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
19-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Freak accidents
A couple of years back I was washing a large glass vase in a sink full of soapy water. The sink was at one end of the kitchen and my husband was at the other end, as far away from me as it was possible to be. As I took the soapy vase out of the sink, it slipped through my hands, fell on the floor and smashed into pieces. Glass flew everywhere.

I was standing right above it, and amazingly not one single shard or splinter of glass touched me. However, one very large shard of glass made a beeline for Mr H across the room and embedded itself into his Achillies Tendon (unfortunately, he wasn't wearing any shoes).

He spent almost a year in a various casts and had two operations on his tendon because of that freaky accident!

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
19-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Freak accidents
When I was five I pushed a liquorice torpedo up my nose and it got stuck. They couldnt get it down at the hospital so we had to wait until it melted. I had black snot for days.... :ninja:

[/font]
When I was nine, I was playing over the fields with my sister and a gang of little mates. We climbed a tumbledown fence, I fell off and one of the shards of wood went into my leg. I was scared at first because there was loads of blood, and the wooden stake thing was still stuck in there, but being a typical kid I was secretly loving all the attention I got when the other kids carried me valiantly back home and I had to go off to hospital in an ambulance. Ive got a pretty big scar to this day because they botched the stitch up job.

When I was eleven my family went to the Greek island of Lefkas. One day there were some huge waves crashing onto the beach due to the fact it was so windy. Im quite a strong swimmer and decided to go into the water but Mum was having none of it, so we compromised and us kids went to the waters edge, looking for shells that the sea might have washed up.
My brother and I wandered slightly further down the beach when all of a sudden a massive, towering wave crashed onto the shore. All I remember is looking up and seeing a blue/white foaming thing coming down on top of me and then whoooosh, it hit me, punched me to the floor and dragged me out.

[font=Century Gothic]I remember thinking (extremely calmly), "Im drowning and Im only ten feet from the shore". I was turned over and over, as if in a washing machine by the wave, and all the time, my mind was totally calm and almost accepting of my fate. I was holding my breath, but there was no panic. Finally another strong wave washed me back to shore, and I was grabbed by numerous people, who had seen my plight.

Never mind being nearly drowned -, I was more mortified that the initial punch to the floor by the wave had ripped me bikini bottoms to my ankles and they were full of sand and pebbles, so when I pulled them up and waddled back to my hysterical mother, it looked like Id pooped meself ! Blush

Liking the cut of your jib.........[Image: aniburns.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "Freak" accidents Blink 20 1,448 04-05-2005 10:36 PM
Last Post: Flip