Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Protesting
07-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Fuel Protesting

Apparently the protesters are due to come out again soon with the aim of lowering petrol prices.

So - are you in agreement with them, or do you think the prices we pay are justified.

Are you like me, and when the merest sniff of a protest looms, you fill your car to the maximum ... just incase you cant buy any for weeks ?

Im torn. Thinking selfishly Mr.B cant work as he needs petrol to teach people to drive - BUT the cost of petrol is so high that his bring home pay suffers hugely. And you cant just bump up the price of lessons as you have to be competitive.

So - i do think something needs to be done about fuel costs, but blockades really screw us up.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Fuel Protesting
We have been steadily stock piling for a few days. Our nearest garage prices have now jumped from 96.1p per litre to 101.6p per litre overnight - something is in the air.

As long as I have enough fuel to get me to and from the place where my new electric bike is then I don't care - as I can access things on my electric scooter, work shops etc.

The boys both get bused to school - so that is not my concern.

But in actual fact I am hugely in favour of the the protesters - I do't mind some minor disruption to highlight this fact. Because of our geographical location and lack of any public transport we NEED a vehicle to survive. I am not sure many could actually say that!?

So good on them!! And if I could I would TOOT very loudly to show my support!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

07-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Fuel Protesting
On my way home tonight Tesco here is still 91.9, and that just up today from 89.9 yesterday.

I hope there is no panic or protests, to me it's a bit daft. My car holds 40 litres, if it goes up by 10p it's an extra £4 to fill my car - what's that in real terms? A couple of drinks, a bottle of wine, for some not even a whole pack of fags. I can cope with that for the need and pleasure of driving my own car. Brown will never reduce the tax, he's a Scot for goodness sake! :naughty: The whole world is having to pay more, it's not just us!

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
Find all posts by this user
07-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Fuel Protesting
I am totally in agreement with the protesters.

I noticed one of our local garages put it's price up recently and deisel is 99p/litre.

And to think the last fuel protest was when prices were around 85p/lite:shock:

What I want to know is, even though the fuel barrel prices are going up, how do the major companies, Shell/Texaxo/etc. keep making so much profit.

[Image: 429.gif]
08-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Fuel Protesting
Eternity Wrote:My car holds 40 litres, if it goes up by 10p it's an extra £4 to fill my car - what's that in real terms?

£4 a day for people who work in their cars. So thats £20 a week (if working Mon - Fri) and so £80 a month. Quite a lot of money - and could of paid for the monthly shop in tescos.

Edited to say - i might be wrong, but i would of thought that the price of petrol effects other things, namely the food we buy in the shops. If it costs the lorry a lot more to drive from warehouse to shop etc ... we will pay the extra, whether it be in clothes or food.

08-09-2005, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2005 12:59 PM by survivorfan.)
Fuel Protesting
Panixc buying and stockpiling never works, if anything it creates shortages and helps force prices up .

Round here I've noticed prices coming down in the last few days. On Sunday it had gone up to 99.9 just about everywhere you looked, today it's down to a more reasonable 95.

I'm not keen on the fuel protests. Last time it was aimed at the government's tax hike, but raising fuel prices was what the govt had said it would do all along - and as we elected them we shouldn't protest if they do what they said they'd do all along.

This time the price hike is due to world prices, I don't think a bunch of protesters will be able to change that.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
08-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Fuel Protesting
survivorfan Wrote:and as we elected them we shouldn't protest if they do what they said they'd do all along.

I have an excuse then!!

I didn't elect them! Labour does diddly squat for country folk and we need diesal or petrol like we need water.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

09-09-2005, 08:01 AM
Fuel Protesting
Flip Wrote:I have an excuse then!!

I didn't elect them! Labour does diddly squat for country folk and we need diesal or petrol like we need water.

Neither did i :laugh: I need diesel too as i live about 10 miles from the nearest shop ...... and we dont get buses to our house either :unsure:

I think i will fill up regularly, just incase. Normally i wait until the red warning light comes on, but i wont at the moment.

09-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Fuel Protesting
I have a voucher that entitles me to 5p off a litre when I get diesel at Sainsburys. I don't use the car that often, so once it is full it lasts for ages.

I am though in favour of the protesters, I am sick of this government constantly targetting car drivers! Don't they get enough from us already?! :ranting:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
09-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Fuel Protesting
Bella Wrote:I am though in favour of the protesters, I am sick of this government constantly targetting car drivers! Don't they get enough from us already?! :ranting:

But isn't this latest price hike due to the effects of Hurricane Katrina shutting down US petrol refineries, forcing the US to buy petrol from abroad, resulting in higher prices for us? It isn't because of anything our government has done, is it?

Are the protests going to make the US reopen their refineries any faster, or maybe persuade hurricanes to be a bit more thoughtful of British drivers?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]