Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funerals
30-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Funerals

After reading Maz's thread about the sad passing of her mother in law and that is going to be her 4th funeral in a matter of months, have any of you thought about how you would like your funeral to be?

I don't mean to be morbid - I ask as we attended our 2nd funeral since October, both people had terminal cancer and had been given a time and they organised how they wanted their funeral to be.

The funeral we were at on Monday was very emotional but upbeat, if that comes out right. It was very sadly for one of our very close friends who was diagnosed with cancer 18 months ago. He was Mr B's school friend so you can imagine he has been upset.

At the funeral all of his favourite songs were played throughout and his wife wore bright colours as requested. There were speeches from 4 people who said wonderful, funny and truthful things about him and even the minister was quite witty. Even though it was extremely emotional and very sad, there was a lot of laughter and it just put everyone at ease.

I suppose in some way it got me thinking that if you just suddenly die, then your next of kin organises things for you. It's not something your really speak about but I haven't let Mr B know if I would prefer to be cremated or buried and what if he chooses the wrong one! I know what hymns I would like but I haven't told anyone and although you are not going to be there when you die, your funeral should be how you want it don't you think?

I have never really given these things much thought but I suppose after the death of my auntie who was only 59 and more recently of our friend who was only 46, I am going to put my wishes down for my funeral.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Funerals
I'm 'morbid' as well Bella, if that's what you want to call it. I've planned everything out and have got it all written down. It will be hard enough I'm sure, without trying to figure what songs I'd like or what have you. I really got scared going through the worst part of my stomach woes and knowing it could be cancer at anytime, so that's when I went online and found some helpful info and some forms for a 'living will' and 'power of attorney' so my husband could have the decisions in writing...just in case.

As far as funerals, I had my share last May. My elderly cousin died on the 24th after me eating lunch with him, his wife, my other older cousin, and her husband on the 15th. Then just 6 days later my beloved Granny died, so right back around I had to go for her funeral. My G'Pa, her husband died on the 17th of May in 2002. The bad thing about all of it, besides the family passing on of course, is my birthday is the 10th of May:sad:

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
Find all posts by this user
31-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Funerals
We do shy away from discussing things like this, it would make things far easier for those that are left to deal with it if we wrote down exactly what we wanted and stored it with the will.

I have yet to make a will as Mr M had a bit of a phobia about it, his father died suddenly shortly after making his. He has promised after we have sorted out his mums funeral we will go and make one.
31-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Funerals
I have no set wishes Maz, so if I go first just tell your brother that he's to do it as cheap as he can possibly get away with and play whatever music HE likes (although I suspect that I will go out to some awful country and western thing - just as well I won't hear it) Big Grin
31-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Funerals
mazwad Wrote:We do shy away from discussing things like this, it would make things far easier for those that are left to deal with it if we wrote down exactly what we wanted and stored it with the will.

You are so right Maz, and I suppose with my auntie and our friend they had to face the situation as they were told time was running out so they discussed it with their respective partners, which must be very hard for them.

My auntie was adamant that she wanted to be in a pink shroud as she definitely didn't want white as it didn't suit her! She also chose her burial spot and chose her hymns.

In some countries funerals take on a more spiritual aspect whereas here we take on a dignified, restrained approach.

Critique, you see this is why you should organise what you want! Country & Western ain't all that bad? Wink Do you think he'll choose "You Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me, Critique (Lucille)? :ninja:

31-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Funerals
Mama Coastie and I have discussed this in the past and both agree we would like our funerals to be a celebration of life. The life we had and the life we are going on to...we are both Christians.

I would like people to wear colours but not being a flower person in life would prefer donations to a charity of my choice than blooms on the grave side...Mama Coastie loves flowers though!

A friend of ours died last year and loved the clour pink so everyone wore something pink. Her coffin was pink and all the flowers she recived were predominantly pink. It was a wonderful service and everyone was saddened at her passing and yet enjoyed celebrating her life.

I like yellow...and red!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
31-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Funerals
It isn't something i have thought of too much. Just one question i have, would Mr.B and i be buried in the same plot, or do you have to request this ?

I would like us to be bured together if poss, and i suppose churches like that as it saves them room !!!

Can you also request where you would like to be buried ? We have a lovely church in our village (which is where i would go i suppose) but ideally i would love to be buried in the next village along. Their church is beautiful and historical (the roof is in history books as its part thatched, part tiled) and its on a hill so you have a good view :wink2:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
31-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Funerals
Coastie Wrote:I like yellow...and red!

Oooh yellow just doesn't suit my skin colour - looks like I'll be wearing red when you pass on Coastie! :wink2:

31-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Funerals
Bella Wrote:Oooh yellow just doesn't suit my skin colour - looks like I'll be wearing red when you pass on Coastie! :wink2:

that's the rpoblem I have now...I love yellow but can't really wear it so I love red (not nearly as much as yellow) which looks fab on me so i wear that allot...I would give people the choice! :laugh:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
31-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Funerals
When my Mum died, my sister and I went out and bought the brightest colours in clothing we could find for her funeral, to reflect her, and the way she lived. A few old grumps looked a tad startled, but we knew it was what she would have wanted.

I never had a funeral for my hubby, he was just cremated in Singapore, then I spent 6 months organising a Memorial Service for him back here in the UK.

No flowers, I did that, over £500 worth in the church (after used on viewing to raise funds for the church), no black, though my old Gran stuck to her black! It was a bright farewell, lots of people eulogised, including our 6 year old Grandson who was fantastic. The Memorial was for friends and family to say goodbye, neither he or I are/were C of E, but they were.

Then I flew his ashes back out to the Far East and scattered them on a dive at sea as he wanted.

That's what my kids have been told to do for me, and I am quite looking forward to it!! :bag: