Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GMTV on Overweight People
11-11-2004, 10:22 AM

All this week on GMTV they are highlighting overweight people, the stigma towards them and diets, pills etc that can help.

One lady was on yesterday who was overweight but have to say looked really good, her outfit was lovely. Anyway she was going on about the discrimination against people, that there are laws about discrimination against black, disabled, aged etc people and that there should be laws for overweight people. I have no doubt whatsoever that yes, many employers probably don't employ people because of their weight issue, it maybe because of their looks, their health problems or maybe they just don't like *fat* people. People become overweight through choice, you don't become disabled or black or get old through choice.......it happens.

This lady also went onto mention that overweight people need help financially because all healthy foods are expensvie and most people who are overweight can't afford these healthy food!! I found myself shouting at the TV! What utter, utter rubbish! I have never heard so much rubbish in my life! Whilst I appreciate that yes, some healthy food maybe more pricey than others, the unhealthy stuff is just as expensive! I mean how much does a Big Mac set you back these days?

I am not against big people, but I really do think that they should stop looking for excuses and either accept that they are bigger than average and just live with it or if they are unhappy then do something about it, don't blame society, don't go looking for scapecoats.

I am sure I am going to get a lot of flack for this, but Big is Beautiful complaining about whilst doing nothing about it isn't!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2004, 10:32 AM
I'd tend to agree with you Bella on the whole.

Ill health issues aside, there's nothing that stops any of us getting more exercise, or eating a more healthy diet.

Vegetables and plain chicken or fish are no more expensive than pre-packaged ready cooked meals, probably cheaper.

In most things in life, I take the view that if you dont like something change it.

I deplore the victim culture that we seem to be heading towards.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
11-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Bella Wrote:she was going on about the discrimination against people, that there are laws about discrimination against black, disabled, aged etc people and that there should be laws for overweight people.

Did she say in what way overweight people are discriminated against? Does it really happen, or is she just assuming it happens, I wonder?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
11-11-2004, 11:05 AM
survivorfan Wrote:Did she say in what way overweight people are discriminated against? Does it really happen, or is she just assuming it happens, I wonder?

I believe there are surveys that back this up.

It's not really the point. Scruffy people probably get discriminated against as well, but as with weight, it's something that they can change.

11-11-2004, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2004 11:45 AM by Bella.)
survivorfan Wrote:Did she say in what way overweight people are discriminated against? Does it really happen, or is she just assuming it happens, I wonder?

She mentioned it with regards to employment. She stated that many overweight people are not given jobs because of them being big but if they were disabled, black or older then that would not be allowed because you cannot discriminate against them. She mentioned that the reasons people give for not offering the job to the bigger person is that they may have health issues etc. As I have said, I have no doubt that it does happen, I remember on one occassion at my work we were sent in a CV with a photo attached, the female was very good-looking and my boss practically had her in for an interview to offer her the job before even checking out her CV!!!

Let's face it we live in a society where, sadly looks play a big part. Look at the X-Factor, Pop Idol for instance, how many of the acts were turned away because of them being too big? Ok, Michelle McManus may have won Pop Idol...(Michelle Who, I hear you ask?), but she has had one hit, and I am sorry to say it is her image that let her down in a lot of ways.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
11-11-2004, 03:16 PM
I was actually on an Equal Opps course when the trainer said, "Now, I know we're not supposed to discriminate, but I wouldn't give a job to someone like Anne over there because she's very overweight".

We were all gobsmacked.

The fact that Anne was otherwise well presented and may have been the best candidate for the job didn't matter!!

OK, you wouldn't give someone who was fat a job as a fireman or Police officer, but to sit behind a desk all day??!?!

If someone is the best candidate for the job then surely they should get it, unless appearance is part of the job itself (e.g. modelling - in which case you wouldn't BE the best candidate).

I'm not saying we should all be lardarses but I do think you have to draw the line somewhere!
11-11-2004, 05:33 PM
My daughter hasa rare condition called Cushings her weight will, if it continues be doubled by next summer. They are still sorting out what where in a complex pathway is wrong. She is at risk of many things as well as the cushings. The weight gain is truncal and so fat is stored round vital organs.she has flare ups where she blows up and dpown like a balloon. I never was an image Queen but she has a sunny disposition and weight is not everything. I wonder how many others with our diet and hormone popping society have had an interruption in biochemical processes and gained the weight adversly. If daughter had not got a learning difficulty that meant we know just what she spends we would have put it down to adolescent excesses. Fortunately hospital weigh in tells us its not possible to gain that fast with no reason. It has affected her fitness and stamina.
11-11-2004, 06:33 PM
Ceridwen Wrote:I was actually on an Equal Opps course when the trainer said, "Now, I know we're not supposed to discriminate, but I wouldn't give a job to someone like Anne over there because she's very overweight".

We were all gobsmacked.

OMG! Poor Anne! I would have wept!

I'm overweight (quite a lot) and I've never had a problem getting a job. I think people do often equate being overweight with being stupid, lazy and lacking ambition. Also people like to employ people who reflect well on them and looks/size plays a big part in that.

I never make excuses for being fat, I know it's my fault, and ulitmately only I can do something about it.

Possibly the reason some fat people feel victimised is because possibly they are! Obviously not in all cases.

I have to say I do have sympathy for grossly oveweight people who have let themselves get so fat that they are in wheelchairs, they must be terribly terrribly miserable and self conscious - two things that can be masked by agression and eased by eating!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
12-11-2004, 08:14 PM
Bella Wrote:This lady also went onto mention that overweight people need help financially because all healthy foods are expensvie and most people who are overweight can't afford these healthy food!! I found myself shouting at the TV! What utter, utter rubbish! I have never heard so much rubbish in my life! Whilst I appreciate that yes, some healthy food maybe more pricey than others, the unhealthy stuff is just as expensive! I mean how much does a Big Mac set you back these days?

Would you object if overweight people, who were genuinely trying to lose weight, were given drugs on prescription to help them lose weight? i.e. the taxpayers would be funding thier weight-loss. Similarly, would you object to NHS funded weight-loss clinics, dieticians, exercise classes, whose sole purpose was to help overweight people? These too would be a huge financial outlay by the taxpayer.

What then ,is the difference between those activites and providing financial assitance to fund healthy eating?

Healthy eating in schools is government funded. Overweight childern are being actively encouraged to eat fruit at school - the taxpayer is footing the bill.

I dont see the difference.
13-11-2004, 12:46 AM
floopy Wrote:Healthy eating in schools is government funded. Overweight childern are being actively encouraged to eat fruit at school - the taxpayer is footing the bill.

I dont see the difference.

Healthy eating in schools is aimed at all pupils, not just the overweight ones.

A skinny kid that eats chips alone for his 13 years at school is no healthier than any other kid!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why don't people READ anymore? The Curmudgeon 40 3,506 04-06-2008 05:51 PM
Last Post: Creme Doughnut
  When people don't like you... Dolores 50 3,173 13-06-2007 09:27 AM
Last Post: Isis
  Do we ever realise why people don't like us? Dolores 35 2,632 22-06-2006 10:26 PM
Last Post: Figaro
  People who don't read books isleofweather 73 3,992 21-08-2005 02:40 PM
Last Post: karenh