Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Discussion on this year's show....
03-12-2005, 09:42 AM

I'm glad this show is coming to an end. I've only watched about half of it and then I'm usually doing something else so don't give it my full attention. I know it's been said before but if it wasn't for Ant and Dec I'd give up on it completely!

Not that I'm a sadist(!) but they don't seem to be suffering at all do they! I think the mix is dull, dull, dull.

An explosive combination is to have types of the same ilk in there and watch the egos explode, two tv chefs for instance.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2005, 04:11 PM
I know its hard for whoever makes the final judgement on who goes into the jungle to tell whether or not they will "perform" but for gods sake, whoever chose this year needs to be sacked !!!

Kimberley, Antony and Jenny in particular have been far too quiet and the word from the producers (according to an insider on the show) is that they dont believe that Jenny and Antony have earned their hugely inflated fees.

Personally, I think that the older the contestant, the more interesting the programme. Forget about the twenty-somethings, think about who in the past (whether or not you have liked them) have provided entertainment...

Christine Hamilton, Janet St Porter, Paul Burrell, Carol Thatcher, David Dickinson, Nigel Benn, Rhona Cameron, Jilly Goolden, Bobby Ball, Jenny Bond.
All of the above are mid thirties up to their sixties. All of them have a lifetime of experience, anecdotes and dare I say it actual personalities.

Jenny Frost, Antony Costa, Sid Owen, the likes of Peter Andre, Jordan, Chris Bisson etc are bland and personalityless in my opinion. Dont get me wrong, I like some of the blandies in my list and really dislike some of the older contestants in my list but who can forget the bickering and discussions between Janet and Paul, Rhona and Nigel, Jilly and David Dickinson or the ballsyness of Jenny Bond in the coffin full of rats and doing that unbelievable bug eating trial as if they were giving her caviar to eat?

This year has been duller than dishwater in my opinion. Mainly because I believe the producers have catered more for the younger viewers by putting in boy band and girl band characters, sticking in an actress from Neighbours who was so obviously not that interested it was untrue, an eastenders actor who is incredibly pleasant but not very interesting and Jimmy Osmond who again, like Sid, is nice but doesnt say or do much.

The only time the camp perked up (thank god) was when Cannon and Ball came in. The dynamics changed because of their age, their late arrival and also because they were older, had personalities and werent afraid of opening their mouths.

We need the likes of Chris Eubank (a dead cert next year I reckon as he is a bankrupt now), Jim Davidson (always gobby and outrageous) and other older celebs.

I think Antony was overawed by the other celebs and clammed up but also it became painfully obvious that he was never going to earn his hundred grand fee because he cant string too words together. He is also one of the breed of twentysomethings that "cant be arsed" when something gets too tough or difficult. Sid isnt and that is refreshing.

Jenny Frost I think suffered from the "Im a ShereeLebrity" decision made by the producers early on. She will be surprised I think at the extent she was edited out of the highlights. We needed to see more of the feisty, outspoken Jenny that we saw when she refused to be cowed by David Dickinson but it wasnt to be.

This years IAC reminds me of the 2nd (?) series, featureing the ghastly Phil Tufnell.
That one was a complete bore-fest, which again featured three or four celebs that were boring and didnt do much:- Wayne Sleep, Toyah, Sian Lloyd and Chris Bisson who frankly should have handed his fee back....

This however was followed by a couple of corkers, The IAC featuring the ludicrous Natalie Appleton, The Jordan/Peter/Jenny Bond/JohnnyRotten IAC and then the Janet St Porter & Paul Burrell Show.....

So who knows, maybe this was a glitch that they will hopefully learn from and next time theyll get the mix right? Smile

Liking the cut of your jib.........[Image: aniburns.gif]
03-12-2005, 04:54 PM
I am another who has been bored by this and have had trouble finding something to post about. I agree the older contestants give more value for money and yes Chris Ewbank would be excellent guaranteed to wind the others up.

We don't watch it to see them be nicey nicey to one another we want to see them suffer and starve.
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2005, 06:18 PM
I think they need to change the content of the show. Its got very samey. Bringing back the emus for the second time has been disappointing as everyone seems to forget they are there most of the time. The trials don't have the same fear factor as they used to either. Its as if the contestants know what to expect before they get to the trial eg eating or having bugs thrown all over them. The best trial ever was the one Jenny Bond did with the rats climbing all over her - why don't they do that one again - I'd love to see Sheree do it!
04-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Hey !!!! What happened to the emus?????

I remember the crate appearing, Jenny saying awwww, Sheree shrieking (quelle surprise) and the note on the crate said they had to feed and water the birds.

They featured a lot last year, but I dont recall seeing them again this year after they took them out of the BT...

Liking the cut of your jib.........[Image: aniburns.gif]
04-12-2005, 03:16 PM
BORING! I've not really been watching it anymore. Would rather do this ----> :wallbash:

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
04-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Dolores Wrote:I know it's been said before but if it wasn't for Ant and Dec I'd give up on it completely!

I'VE WATCHED A TOTAL OF THREE FULL EPISODES AND HAVE TO SAY THAT I HAVE SNORED THROUGH ALL BITS BAR THOSE PARTS WHICH FEATURE ANT AND DEC...oh and Carol the Thatch! :wink2:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
04-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Well, I'm going to be controversial...

I have absolutely enjoyed this series so much. Last year with Janet Street-Porter et al, I hardly watched any of it. This year, I have been hooked.

I have actually liked most of the people on it this year, which for me, makes a big difference. They seem to have all had such a good time, and I would MUCH rather watch someone enjoying themselves, cracking a few jokes and genuinely having a laugh with each other. Rather than last year when all it seemed to be was people moaning, and arguing, and bitching. Yes, its fun in stages, but I thought there was such a nasty atmosphere last year, it was horrible. And, personally, I thought there was a pretty bland winner.

Plus, last year I hated the fact that Natalie Appleton got voted to do the task ALL the time, I'd much rather see different people doing it.

The last five were ultimately my favourites, basically because I like them all, and now, I really do not mind who wins.

For me, it's all about likeability. This year has been a refreshing change from arguments, and hostility, and I believe it has been much better for it.

So there Tongue

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
05-12-2005, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2005 09:16 AM by Woodstock.)
Pandora Wrote:Personally, I think that the older the contestant, the more interesting the programme. Forget about the twenty-somethings, think about who in the past (whether or not you have liked them) have provided entertainment...

Christine Hamilton, Janet St Porter, Paul Burrell, Carol Thatcher, David Dickinson, Nigel Benn, Rhona Cameron, Jilly Goolden, Bobby Ball, Jenny Bond.
All of the above are mid thirties up to their sixties. All of them have a lifetime of experience, anecdotes and dare I say it actual personalities.

who can forget the bickering and discussions between Janet and Paul, Rhona and Nigel, Jilly and David Dickinson or the ballsyness of Jenny Bond in the coffin full of rats and doing that unbelievable bug eating trial as if they were giving her caviar to eat?

This year has been duller than dishwater in my opinion. Mainly because I believe the producers have catered more for the younger viewers by putting in boy band and girl band characters, sticking in an actress from Neighbours who was so obviously not that interested it was untrue, an eastenders actor who is incredibly pleasant but not very interesting and Jimmy Osmond who again, like Sid, is nice but doesnt say or do much.

The only time the camp perked up (thank god) was when Cannon and Ball came in. The dynamics changed because of their age, their late arrival and also because they were older, had personalities and werent afraid of opening their mouths.

I think Antony was overawed by the other celebs and clammed up but also it became painfully obvious that he was never going to earn his hundred grand fee because he cant string too words together. He is also one of the breed of twentysomethings that "cant be arsed" when something gets too tough or difficult. Sid isnt and that is refreshing.

This years IAC reminds me of the 2nd (?) series, featureing the ghastly Phil Tufnell.
That one was a complete bore-fest, which again featured three or four celebs that were boring and didnt do much:- Wayne Sleep, Toyah, Sian Lloyd and Chris Bisson who frankly should have handed his fee back....

This however was followed by a couple of corkers, The IAC featuring the ludicrous Natalie Appleton, The Jordan/Peter/Jenny Bond/JohnnyRotten IAC and then the Janet St Porter & Paul Burrell Show.....

So who knows, maybe this was a glitch that they will hopefully learn from and next time theyll get the mix right? Smile

Excellently put Pan.

The oldies do more often than not prove to be the Goodies......that prompts me to say "GET BILL SODDIN' ODDIE IN THERE NEXT TIME!". When the show becomes painfully boring to watch, there he'd be, meandering his way through the dense woods (well the seemingly dense woods that merely separates the encampment from the luxury abode only an emu feathers throw away) and whispering away in a way that only he can as he provides the viewer/s (there may be more than one...) with a sublime running commentary of his micro-adventure......'cos....be honest......there's nothing quite like our Bill wandering through a rich verdant jungle during the crapuscular part of the day.....

It's a fairly obvious statement to make but you cannot compensate for experience. I think by far the best of the "youthful" crop has been Fran, who did speak like he had some experience in life. And i believe Sid Owen has given a fair account of himself throughout this series.

I have to disagree about your assessment of Cannon & Ball. Bobby was afraid to open his mouth at times.........mostly when he had a panful (is it just me or does the clanging sounds made by the scraping of knives + forks against those pans as the celebs dine by the campfire make you quite peckish?? - just me then......) of Sheree's cooking in front of him. No, you are right - the dynamics changed and the "comedy" duo's presence pulled the group slightly closer together. I cannot for the life of me comprehend why such a large mass of people wanted rid of Tommy Cannon so early. In doing so, they removed potentially some memorable moments around the campfire, which would have enhanced the fortnight's viewing.

£100,000 for Costa??? - jumping juggernauts!!- wow!:ohmy:. Then it's no wonder Adele Silva was smiling at that camera the way she was.....

My line-up (yes....AGAIN!) for next year's show would be.....

* The World's oldest man
* The World's oldest woman
* a nurse (luxury item a defibrilator)
* Bill Oddie
* Terrence Trent D'Ar.........no that's ridiculous!
* Bill Clinton (I really reckon he'd be game - saxaphone and all....)
* Mick Quinn (former footballer and true Geordie - trust me, he'd be an absolute hit!)
* John McEnroe
* Clive James (oh do be quiet! - the World's oldest man would make him look rather boyish)
* Pam Shriver
* Sinead O' Connor
* Jeremy Clarkson (it's be interesting to watch the motor vehicle withdrawal symptoms gradually taking their hold)

perhaps needs a little balancing with regards male to female ratio but it's not a bad lot there....

:sun: w o o d s t o c k:beer:
"I'm not a bird, I'm a festival!" :bored:
05-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Pandora Wrote:Hey !!!! What happened to the emus?????

I remember the crate appearing, Jenny saying awwww, Sheree shrieking (quelle surprise) and the note on the crate said they had to feed and water the birds.

They featured a lot last year, but I dont recall seeing them again this year after they took them out of the BT...

When Dickinson left........they left.....I'll say no more.....:shutup: :eat:

:sun: w o o d s t o c k:beer:
"I'm not a bird, I'm a festival!" :bored:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Next Year.... Coastie 9 5,277 08-10-2011 10:00 AM
Last Post: wowpop
  Eviction Interviews this year.... Pandora 9 3,154 05-12-2005 06:14 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Elaine Lordan NOT returning to the show... Pandora 38 4,307 24-11-2005 09:51 PM
Last Post: Cat
  The reason for the live show tonight... Pandora 4 1,266 24-11-2005 06:45 PM
Last Post: maxine
  That jungle TV show. Haydon_acc2 12 2,299 22-11-2005 12:14 PM
Last Post: bridge