Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Best
24-11-2005, 04:20 PM
George Best

We had a thread on him somewhere didn't we?

Anyway couldn't find it so started this one...

The point being that his Doctor has said he has only 24 huors left, he is so ill there is no way he can recover.

If he survives the next day it will be a miracle apparently.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2005, 04:28 PM
George Best
I feel sorry for his family who have to endure the media circus at this sad time for them, but I don't have an ounce of sympathy for George Best. Harsh, maybe but he had many chances and he blew them. He was given a liver from someone who died, can you imagine if you were a family member of that person? He abused his right to have that liver.

I appreciate he allowed the photos to be taken to show as a message to other alcoholics and his saving grace is that he might save a few poor lost souls.

His dying wish is for him to remembered for being the talented, brilliant player that he was............somehow with today's hungry press I can't see that happening.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-11-2005, 04:50 PM
George Best
Bella Wrote:I feel sorry for his family who have to endure the media circus at this sad time for them, but I don't have an ounce of sympathy for George Best. Harsh, maybe but he had many chances and he blew them. He was given a liver from someone who died, can you imagine if you were a family member of that person? He abused his right to have that liver.

I agree with you. It is a harsh opinion, but one i share. That liver could of gone to someone who would of cherished it, and had a blummin brilliant life. He chose to go back on the booze, and the liver has had enough. He was warned what would happen, but he drank anyway.

I feel sorry for his family, but not for Best.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
24-11-2005, 05:01 PM
George Best
Agreed with the rest of the comments here. Yes it's a shame for his family who have had to watch him abuse himself like this over years but he only has himself to blame.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
24-11-2005, 05:12 PM
George Best
I think that the rest of you are bing a bit harsh on George Best - Alcoholism is a disease -

"Alcoholism is a chronic, often progressive disease with symptoms that include a strong need to drink despite negative consequences, such as serious job or health problems. Like many other diseases, it has a generally predictable course, has recognized symptoms, and is influenced by both genetic and environmental factors that are being increasingly well defined."

It's not something that he chose to have.

When he goes I will mourn the passing of one the most gifted footballers that I ever saw.

And - yes- I feel sorry for him - as I would feel sorry for anyone who has suffered an illness which has caused them to die before their time.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
24-11-2005, 05:17 PM
George Best
Rob Wrote:I think that the rest of you are bing a bit harsh on George Best - Alcoholism is a disease -

"Alcoholism is a chronic, often progressive disease with symptoms that include a strong need to drink despite negative consequences, such as serious job or health problems. Like many other diseases, it has a generally predictable course, has recognized symptoms, and is influenced by both genetic and environmental factors that are being increasingly well defined."

When he goes I will mourn the passing of one the most gifted footballers that I ever saw.

And - yes- I feel sorry for him - as I would feel sorry for anyone who has suffered an illness which has caused them to die before their time.

I feel the same Rob, there but for the grace of god go I and I suspect most other people!

Today is a sad day not only for his family but for football fans everywhere!
24-11-2005, 05:30 PM
George Best
Rob Wrote:I think that the rest of you are bing a bit harsh on George Best - Alcoholism is a disease -

I know it's a disease and I can't imagine how hard it would be to combat but you'd think that after being given a 2nd chance in the form of a new liver that he would've tried harder. It was just a complete waste of a healthy liver that a more grateful person could've done with.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
24-11-2005, 05:52 PM
George Best

He did chose to have that though Rob, he chose to let alcohol take over his life.

Maybe I am being harsh but I am reading Life & Limb and if anyone had to struggle with life it was Jamie Andrew. He has battled from the edge of death without the need for alcohol, wheras George Best had the world at his feet (pardon the pun) and wanted more, and destroyed the lives of those around him as well as himself.

Alcohol maybe an illness as such to some, but like drugs he could have walked away and said no before it came too much of a problem.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
24-11-2005, 05:53 PM
George Best
PJ Wrote:I know it's a disease and I can't imagine how hard it would be to combat but you'd think that after being given a 2nd chance in the form of a new liver that he would've tried harder. It was just a complete waste of a healthy liver that a more grateful person could've done with.

That's a bit like saying you should try harder to cure yourself of cancer isn't it?

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
24-11-2005, 05:56 PM
George Best
I am sitting rather on the fence over this debate.

I KNOW alcoholism is a disease, however, after a transplant don't they give you a medication that stops rejection of the liver, and isn't it agreed that to drink on top of this medication makes you extremely ill.

I do not fully know all the ins and outs of this and I maybe am being a little niave. But if you feel as sick as a pig when you drink ontop of medication, would that not be enough incentive to at least TRY to stop drinking...

Did George try to stop drinking?
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  St George deemed Racist in UK??? Eternity 120 5,708 13-10-2005 02:51 PM
Last Post: survivorfan