Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting the story right for you
03-01-2007, 02:49 PM

I was given the link to a story on the New Delhi child murders case and was suprised at the style of journalism. The same story was briefly covered by the BBC and although more familiar I found it a bit stark and emotionless. Obviously we are more used to Aunties style but is it really the best or right way.

I remember reading the Hong Kong Press and was actually quite keen on the way they reported items when compared to the more familar UK based papers. Compare them to the US papers and there is a completely different style again.

One style of reporting
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArtic...bcontinent

A more familiar style of reporting
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6222289.stm

There are many many others but I just wondered if you only tend to use one source for news. Eg BBC/CNN/SKY/Newspapers/Local media organisations nearer the story/word of mouth?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2007, 03:28 PM
I guess the BBC tries to avoid editorialising at all costs, but you're right it does make for a rather stark and impersonal account. For all its failings, the Khaleej Times version makes a much livelier read.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
03-01-2007, 03:55 PM
I have always found it interesting how 1 Brit dying in a disaster gets more headlines than a hundred say...Indians or Africans dying in a similar fashion...what's more many feel more upset about the one fellow countryman than they do the 100 foreigners and yet they are still fellow human beings...Huh

But I fear I am going off topic...I was just touching on media issues on a similar line...sorry Slip Blush

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2007, 07:18 PM
I tend to listen to the news on the radio, which is always brief, then go online to read more if a story interests me. I usually use the beeb mainly because I know it will be unbiased, to get the facts. Then, if I want the sleazy version, I'll go to skynews

Out of the two links you showed, Slips, I much prefered the BBC one, I didnt like the sensationalism of the first one. Maybe that's just cos I'm used to it though.

I think there's enough choice out there to satisfy any tastes though. Hell even the Daily Star has a website.

Allegedly...

Bollox to potplants

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  BBC News 24 - Main Story Groucho 2 1,061 01-11-2004 12:55 PM
Last Post: Andrea