Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giving Blood
31-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Giving Blood

following on from the whole organ donation thing, I wondered about people's opinion on giving blood.

Personally, I don't. I would love to but have been asked not to. The last 3 occasions I have, I have either passed out, thrown up or both. So they said it was very commendable & all that but they couldn't ask me to go through all that every time. I said I would be quite willing, not being a martyr but after all, it's only twice a year but they said no thanks. So I'm not allowed.

There is a radio advert that tells only 20ish% of people who can give blood do & I always think, what if me or mine need it & they've run out?

So do you...............& if not, how come?

That wasn't to be sounding judgemental, just interested

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Giving Blood
I am a strong believer in giving blood however because I am on meds and prone to bleeding internally, they would rather not take mine. I have had many blood transfusions and so I know how important it is to have the supply there especially if the blood type is rare. So, to sum up, if I could, I would but I cant.

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
Find all posts by this user
31-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Giving Blood
I have turned up to give blood when the donor van comes to our school and each time I have been turned away either because I gave birth within that year or that I am not heavy enough. You have to be at least 8 stone and I am just under. I have been told that I can be assessed in order that I may donate bone marrow but as yet I have not made that appointment. I guess I'll just have to stuff my face and put on some weight to fufill my wish!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
31-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Giving Blood
Funnily enough I'm exactly the same as jaycee (apart from the throwing up - I just pass out!) and I always feel guilty about not being able to give.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
31-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Giving Blood
I have thought about it in the past, but it appears that because I have been on medication in the past it is not possible.

I may be able to in the future though, so will try again to give blood at some point. Smile

Old enough to know better... :whistling
31-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Giving Blood
I'm the same too, Ross needed a blood transfusion for an operation when he was a baby and I can remember sitting there watching the blood go in thinking "please be a nice person".

I have tried 3 times now - first two my iron was too low JUST!. On the 3rd I had prepared and they laughed at me and said I had the iron of a man - it was a really hot day and I had been for a 6 mile run that morning (not a good thing I realise now). Within 2 hours I was proudly lying there, chuffed to have got passed the "have you shagged HIV monkey's" question and promptly passed out as soon as the blood started to leave me.

To be fair, I wasn't alone...people were dropping like fly's because of the heat.

I was told, thankyou very much for trying - again and again and again but enough was enough I had done my best.

Will leave it a few years and try again non the less.

My BIL has got his gold medal, and my SIL's dad is pulled in for one to one transfusions as his blood has special healing properties !!
31-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Giving Blood
I give blood regularly......my friend wants to but can't stand needles...I am working on her! :wink2:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
31-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Giving Blood
I am useless with needles and have to lie for an age after each time, I regulary feint and have had to be taken home by the blood transfusion bus once cos I was soooo bad.

But I do give blood - I am not a dead rare type but relatively uncommon - so I do. I feel a duty to do so - if I dont' I feel guilty. So I do.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

31-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Giving Blood
I used to give blood regularly, but since returning back from the states, haven't given any yet, mainly because I have been pregnant and really just not getting round to it.

I must hunt out my little blue card and get back to giving blood.

[Image: 429.gif]
31-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Giving Blood
Andrea Wrote:I used to give blood regularly, but since returning back from the states, haven't given any yet, mainly because I have been pregnant and really just not getting round to it.

I must hunt out my little blue card and get back to giving blood.

You get a credit card thingy now Andrea......Bronze, Silver or Gold depending on how many pints you have given...but even then they don't need it just so long as you take your invitation (or if you haven't given for a while turn up and they can look you up!)....I've given around 21 pints so far had to stop for a year after travelling to Africa and couldn't go a few times because of work, being away and sickness but they now give you oportunities to donate up to 4 times year! Eeeek....apparently giving blood is good for the old colestral levels aswell!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]