Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Mornin' Campers!
10-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Good Mornin' Campers!

Me and Luke (my 12 year old son) are off camping next weekend in a tent that my friend has given us. We are very excited cos it's our first time. If we enjoy it I'm planning a couple of other weeks away during the summer.

I've just joined a "tenting" website to get a few tips and who knows I might give them a few tips once I'm an expert!

Do we have any other campers who do it under canvas? What are the best things and the worst things?

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2006, 05:43 AM
Good Mornin' Campers!
Mr SB and myself have been campers for years and really love it. One of the things we do is make a " camping list " of all the things we need to take with us. This is kept on the computer and printed out each time we go. It`s just really the little things that you always forget. If possible always choose flat ground, sleeping on a hill or slope is not comfortable. No matter how hot the weather is always take something warm for the evening/night because once the sun goes in and the grass starts going damp it will be cold.

Give it a few goes before you decide if you love it or hate it. You don`t want to buy loads of gear after the 1st time out to find out a few weeks later it`s not for you.

The weather of course makes all the difference when camping. Sitting out late into the night and enjoying early morning sunshine is far better than being stuck in the tent whilst it`s lashing down.

Have fun
Find all posts by this user
11-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Good Mornin' Campers!
Roughing it eh Dol! It's great fun camping, just don't do what i did once and go camping in Cornwall when gale force winds are about.

Hope you and your son have great fun.

I love those huge teepee's - have you seen them?, the hippies use them, i want one of those.

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
Benjamin Disraeli

[Image: ake.gif]
13-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Good Mornin' Campers!
Ooo I love camping :applause: ...do you have a stove Dol? I have one you can borrow but you will need to get gas!

I was under canvas most of last month and have to say the only draw back is....bugs! The ruddy mossies get in everywhere but provided you slap on the old repellent you should be fine!

Have a fantastic time! :wink2:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
13-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Good Mornin' Campers!
Coastie Wrote:do you have a stove Dol? I have one you can borrow but you will need to get gas!

All those beans she will be cooking, she will have plenty of gas.:w00t:

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
Benjamin Disraeli

[Image: ake.gif]
13-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Good Mornin' Campers!
I lived on pork and beans and pasta while I was away...yes I did poot alot! :laugh:

Hmmm Dol...camping food you must have (cos they don't need to be kept cool):

Smash potato
Beans
Pasta
De-hydrated mince (you can get this in the same part of supermarket as the smash potato and it comes in various flavours...I particularly like the chilli one!)
Tinned potatos
Cereal bars (for breakfast cos you don't need milk which will go off quickly even in a cool box/bag)
Powdered milk for your tea/coffee in the morning
Hot chocolate in sachets...get nicking them from the office supplies girl!
Marshmellows - you can toast them over the grill if no fire is available!

I love camping food!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
15-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Good Mornin' Campers!
Looks like you're going to have a scorcher of a weekend Dol Cool ...just right for a couple of camping virgins!

Have a fantastic time...:bye:

19-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Good Mornin' Campers!
Any update on how it all went?
19-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Good Mornin' Campers!
A most marvellous weekend! I was BORN to camp!

we did have brilliant weather which must always be a bonus. The campsite was clean, well laid out and very family orientated.

We will definitely be going again ... SOON!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
19-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Good Mornin' Campers!
Photo's! Photo's!

[Image: 429.gif]