Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Good Thread/Bad Thread - What's it all about!
07-11-2004, 08:17 AM

Inspired by a conversation at the meet......

What makes a thread a success (more than 50 posts or so)?

It was Mellors (take a bow) who had us laughing away when he said about the times you start a thread and no one responds and after a while you realise that the only reason why the number of viewings has increased is because you're always nipping back in just in case.

Tis true.....I think many of us have created threads that have entered the black hole of moo moo land without the slightest bit of interest being shown....so begs the question:

What makes you want to reply?

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Lol Coastie, it's so tempting to let this thread fall ironically to the bottom of the forum with no replies Wink

The thing that makes me want to reply is how 'hooked' I am by the question or the observation being made in the post. Sometimes I read new threads that are interesting but to which I have nothing to contribute because they are not relevent to me or my life, so those I view as an interested but detached observer. Then there are others on which I have a very clear opinion or point of view that I feel compelled to express. I rarely read the 'DYJHIW/DYJLIW' type of thread so don't often contribute to them either. But they'll always be popular because everyone can add to them pretty easily.

Mind you, I wouldn't agree that it's the quantity of posts in a thread that determines whether it's a 'success' or not as it depends on the nature of replies and whether they are on topic posts or not.

I don't think there's any one correct recipe to creating a successful thread, it just depends on how much others can identify with or care and want to talk about the subject.
07-11-2004, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2004 11:41 AM by survivorfan.)
On this forum the most popular threads seem to be what you might call the 'lightweight' ones, where people can pop off a one -or-two-liner without having to give it much thought. I think the reason might be that quite a few people post at work, and use the MB as a time filler, and don't really want anything serious, just something chatty.

Personally I don't find those threads of any real interest, because reading them is more like watching a chatroom, rather than a discussion topic.

The good thing about the site is that there is a separate bit for more serious topics and posters, which is where I prefer to go.

You might say the popularity of the threads here seems to work a bit like the press, where papers like the Times etc don't sell massive amounts, but the Sun is bought by the millions.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
07-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Good points both....I don't often get to involved in the debating threads as I come on here for a bit of escapism. However I do read those which catch my eye and if I do have a particular slant on the subject I will respond.

Like Voice said it isn't the number of posts a thread receives which marks it as a success (I was just suggesting that may be how some people view it) but oft times the quality of the posts....I have read threads once which were no more than three posts long but everything had been said that needed to be said and it was very insightful.

I suppose it also depends on the general mood of the individual as they log in....are they too knackered to think up and interllectual reply to a discussion topic but simply want a bit of company or to let off a bit of steam....or are they full of beans having just ahd a really good debate with someone or whatever and atre ready to take on the world!

Having been to other Forums (yes okay I confess I have visited other sites and joined other forums) I have only stuck with one ( a writers forum) as the others seem to have the same tone to every thread....I guess that's why this site is so successful. Lots of people with different views adds to the variety thus maintaining the interest!

Well that and this smilie: Heart

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
07-11-2004, 01:10 PM
I think in order to answer this question, you also have to ask the question: why do people here use message boards?

It's obvious that alot of members use SO to fill quiet parts of their day, be that at work or otherwise, it's a useful place to while away a quiet 15 minutes.

Then you have the members who tend to stick to the themed parts of the board, such as X-Factor or IAC.

When I joined this MB the general discussion parts of the board were hardly ever used, it was all survivor. I think that shows how far it's evolved over the years.

You also have people who pop in and out to keep up with their cyber mates and then you have the people who like to measure their intellectual abilites against the other members in the so called "heavyweight" areas of the board.

The biggest problem with those threads for me, is that I just dont have the time to get involved in either reading a thread that's full of long posts, or having done so, compose one myself, unless it's a topic that I feel sufficiently strongly about.

You do feel that there are one or two members who spend ages Googling whilst composing their high brow posts.

I take sf's point with his comparison to daily newspapers, whilst ignoring his inference. Wink It is a question of how heavy you want to be at a given time.

Personally I spend all day reading newswires from Reuters and Bloomberg, SO is a bit of light relief and a place to come and have a quick laugh when no one is looking over my shoulder.

I do think it's more complicated than saying "the people in these threads are the thinkers and the people in these threads are light and fluffy".

You can tell much more about a persons speed of wit in a rapid fire thread than you can when they've composed it on word, cross referencing all over the net over the course of a few hours, before cutting and pasting it.

Back to the original question though, I guess what makes me want to get involved in a thread is when you can see alot of people have replied to it, rather than a couple of people discussing something over and over from juxtaposed positions. That or a nice light fluffy one. Wink

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
07-11-2004, 03:11 PM
I generally don't tend to read the lighthearted threads, such as those in 'avin a laugh etc, unless the title really grabs me. And much of the Coffee Lounge light hearted posts I won't bother to read for the same reason, those threads that have zillions of replies, such as what are you having for dinner. I might pop in there if I feel there is something I might wish to say, otherwise I don't really enjoy them.

The threads I do like are the ones in SO corner, that can be controversial, due to people's differing views. I find them quite interesting to read and I like to be able to see things through other person's point of views. I guess I don't reply in a lot of them as I tend to be a very black and white person, as well as being very religious, and sometimes feel I lack the insight to back up any arguments I might pose.

I guess as in any situation it would depend on how deep you were as a person as to what kind of threads attract you.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
07-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Basically, with me, it comes down to time. I dont have a great deal of time on my hands to go through every single thread in every section, so I glance at the Coffee Lounge Section and occasionally reply if I see a title that catches my interest, I never post in the debating section because I dont have the time or the inclination to get that serious. I mainly post in the TV section simply because its quick and easy.
07-11-2004, 05:16 PM
What makes a good or bad thread is obviously down to the individual.

Imo, what makes a bad thread is posters who take it completely off topic and possibly make the thread starter wonder why they bothered.

I don't always post in threads that I think are 'good' I just like reading them. Usually this is because someone has said something which sums up the way I feel but in a much better way.

I usually read a thread because of who started it; who was the last to post in it or the title catches my eye.
07-11-2004, 06:12 PM
maxine Wrote:I usually read a thread because of who started it; who was the last to post in it or the title catches my eye.

Wahey....looks good for you and I Pan! Big Grin

Seriously though....I often look at who was the last person to reply and depending on how mentally agile I feel I do or do not read that thread.

07-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Interesting Cool .

I always come on and look in the Coffee Lounge first, X factor on a sat/sun. Then depending on what time I've got I mooch about....books particularly.

I read all the threads in the CL. I come here for pure escapism and havin a larf.

Interesting reading what other people gleen from here tho.
:shock:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The 2007 Gardening Thread Dolores 22 4,493 19-04-2010 06:20 AM
Last Post: Groucho
  Good news! karenh 12 2,677 09-01-2009 08:41 PM
Last Post: Spooky
  Not so good news.... karenh 12 2,586 22-12-2008 01:03 PM
Last Post: karenh
  The official "Hot" Thread. The Curmudgeon 14 13,675 21-10-2008 10:24 PM
Last Post: The Curmudgeon
  Best ever thread titles floopy 3 1,221 29-05-2008 09:18 PM
Last Post: Fee For All
  The "I'm Still Alive" Thread Rob 26 3,880 26-01-2008 06:58 PM
Last Post: Gneiss
  It don't need it's own thread.... Coastie 181 8,105 06-10-2007 05:45 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  The "how drunk will Groucho get tonight" thread ... Dolores 49 4,280 05-10-2007 05:34 PM
Last Post: Rob
  The SAVE BLUEY thread Slipper 4 1,085 05-10-2007 01:38 PM
Last Post: Figaro
  The Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Thread Critique 84 6,402 23-06-2007 05:54 AM
Last Post: msgirl