Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google - are they getting too big?
02-12-2005, 11:47 AM

The majority of people use Google as their preferred search engine, but that's not all they do...

They've now got GMail, Blogger, Google Maps, Froogle, Google SMS, Picasa, Google Talk and the list goes on. Google Calendar and Google Finance are on the way. Google are getting into all different sorts of industries. Is Google getting too big though? Industries that never saw Google as a competitor are now looking over their shoulder at the mighty giant looking down at them.

Predominately, Google provide information to the people and lots of it. Information is power. However, is there too much power in the hands of the people now? It's possible now with a few clicks to find the cheapest price on a certain product. Retailers obviously don't want to see their competitors price information out there, especially if their price is higher. But will they all now have to go through Google to get business? It's becoming a Googleconomy. In theory I guess they have the power to influence entire industries let alone tiny traditional retailers.

I've noticed recently though that whilst Google used to be the darling of the net world it's starting to lose it's shine. More and more people seem to have gripes with Google and I'm seeing more news articles about just how big they are now. I seem to recall reading that Googles finances are higher than the GDP of several countries. Scarey.

Personally, I've noticed that their search engine results often bring back lots of irrelevant sites, so have started to use other se on occassion.

Is Google getting too big for it's boots? Is it a good thing they have so much power, or is it just becoming a monoply? Are the vultures starting to circle over Google?

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Not being known for my deep thinking about issues such as this Blush I can only innocently ask is it wrong for Google to empower people to have all this information at their fingertips? Are you saying that our judgment is being swayed in a detrimental way by the results we get when we Google something?

I don't really understand all this talk about monopolies etc. Isn't there a Monopolies Commission to investigate this sort of thing. In terms of what they are currently worth, isn't that what business is all about? What about Microsoft? Aren't they worth a mint too?

Sorry Haydon, I would like to have an intelligent and informed discussion with you about this but, as you see, I'm just a simple soul who doesn't really have a clue Blush

Anyone?
03-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Eh, Google will be gone in a few years, as did many other internet companies a few years back. Let 'em have their fun now I say. But I agree with you Haydon, some of the stuff that comes up when you search something are so far off topic! Type in "cat" and you will get some bullsh*t about catastrophe
03-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Hmmm, cant really agree with that Haydon.

It wasn't so long ago that everyone worried about Microsoft becoming a monopoly with seemingly fingers in every pie.

Now Google has become a serious competitor, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect MS to start reacting by doing things better, cheaper, faster?

The fact is that Google has got where it is by doing everything well, in a simple way and giving customers what they want (or think they want).

Anyway, todays all empowered monopoly is tomorrows dinosaur.

When companies are small, they can react very quickly and be very innovative.

As they get bigger, change comes much more slowly, and smaller companies can fill new spaces much more rapidly.

Long live the free market!

Incidentally, at close of business last night, Google's market capitalisation was $123.45 billion.

In 2004 the GDP of Ireland was $126.4 billion.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
05-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Hello Haydon,

I've just checked something out through google and quite a lot of irrelevant information comes through particularly within the first 20 advertising list, of however many thousand they've found, sadly like most people 20 sites is around the average number of sites I'll check when looking for information. I then get bored and start to randomly select say another 3 or 4 and then stop altogether. Sometimes if I'm trying to check something similar to what another search engine has thrown at me, I become very frustrated at the prospect of not finding other competitors.

Although curiously it was yahoo which triggered my search in the first place, today.

Most times I actually search with a question and find that askjeeves is excellent.

I don't think small retailers have anything to worry about in relation to the internet revolution and one internet body becoming larger than any other. In relation to buying on the internet I confess I don't like to, as nothing in my view beats going to the shop to get what you want. I suppose if every householder in Britain gets a computer an armchair shopping revolution could take hold, rendering all the big stores to become warehouses for goods in transit. No its just too impersonal.

Information is power, yes it can be - but is it not how that information or education is used, which enables the carrier to have real power and influence.

Google can't take on microsoft or any of the credit away from it, but they are in the big 4.

Maureen
Northern angel
06-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Northern angel Wrote:Google can't take on microsoft or any of the credit away from it

:glare: Not sure what this means......surely that's exactly what they are doing?

Giving people what they want is good.

Private enterprise is good.

Greed is good.

Google is good.

Thank God for Google!

:wink2:

07-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Yes, MS is an issue as well. Didn't they get taken to court a year or so ago because of their monopoly? I think they were forced to split part of the company up, but it didn't work, as that division got huge as well!

MSN are trying to react to Google. MSN search has been improved and they say is more accurate than Google now. They've ploughed a shed load of advertising money into MSN Search recently.

All credit to Google for their innovation, but doesn't there become a point when a commercial enterprise just gets too powerful?

More and more people are using the net for shopping and buying goods and services online. The majority of people use Google to find those goods and services. Most people don't look beyond the first ten or so suppliers. So unless those suppliers are willing to pay Google in order to get higher they don't stand a chance really. Case of the rich getting richer and the poor poorer.

Surely Google have too much influence over what and who people see/hear?

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2005, 12:28 PM
That's capitalism at work.

If there's that much money being made, it will attract plenty of competition into the space.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Would You Rather Own Google or Indonesia? Groucho 16 1,429 13-10-2005 12:56 PM
Last Post: JakeyBoy