Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grace And Favour Homes.
02-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Grace And Favour Homes.

I am not normally bothered by the subject of grace and favour homes, thinking of them, as in some way part of an historical relic tied to jobs.

However, the sheer size and cost of Grace and favour homes to the state is ridiculous and needs to be limited and controlled to essential Cabinet MP's and staff only.This should be across the political parties.

Dorwood should never have been on a grace and favour home list, it would make an ideal residential home for the elderly and infirm.

It is somewhat irresponsible to encourage the keeping of Grace and favour homes of the size and dimension of the above unless it was to accomodate a substantial number of residents over the space of a week. No one individual should be allowed to place there stamp or seal of ownership over them, after all they should be tied to a job to warrant being granted use. They should be run like a B and B, or not available at all. MP's have expense accounts and have all been issued guidelines as to what is an acceptable expense.

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Grace And Favour Homes.
I think i'm probably in the majority here but i think they should mostly go to a better cause.
The people that have these homes seem to earn enough to buy their own pads and why can't they stay in a hotel if they need to work away from where they live?
I don't know much about grace and favour homes, do they actually get used most of the year or do they sit about empty most of the time, perhaps they could put asylum seekers in them when they're empty????

[Image: atom.gif]
02-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Grace And Favour Homes.
Here's a Beeb article on grace & favour properties. There's some lovely looking places there:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5036540.stm

Seems that some of them are supported by charitable trusts and thus cost the nation nothing, and that the occupants are taxed on the benefit of occupying some of them too.

I don't mind a few very senior types having somewhere special to take VIPs for meetings and suchlike. The worst scandal for me was Lord Irvine's incredibly expensive wallpaper.

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
03-06-2006, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2006 12:11 AM by Northern angel.)
Grace And Favour Homes.
mikado Wrote:Here's a Beeb article on grace & favour properties. There's some lovely looking places there:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5036540.stm

Seems that some of them are supported by charitable trusts and thus cost the nation nothing, and that the occupants are taxed on the benefit of occupying some of them too.

I don't mind a few very senior types having somewhere special to take VIPs for meetings and suchlike. The worst scandal for me was Lord Irvine's incredibly expensive wallpaper.

Hello Mikado,

The Beeb Website only lists a handful of Grace and favour homes, but even the ones owned by trusts are not entirely free. The government departments are responsible for funding the running costs, this ultimately means tax payers. Or sponsors and fund raisers for each successive government. in the light of current Governmental financial running issues one would have though economies would be essential in this department.

The real purpose of Grace and favour homes is being abused in these circumstances when they form a retreat away from the working arena as opposed to placing you within closer proximity to work. There are many board rooms in parliament suitable for the holding of meetings, without haiving to engage in the lavish.

As far as Lord Irvines Wallpaper is concerned he should have paid for it himself never mind puting the bill on his expense account and abusing the priviledge.

Where I stayed recently I was shocked to hear that some of these flats and apartments in the street were 30% owned as second homes privately, another 30% managed and sublet providing income for Cabinet ministers and personal secretaries etc who do not use there Grace an favour homes at all.Someone has had ro buy or pay the rent on these apartments valued at between 375.000.00 and 395.000.00 The remainder all grace and favour homes used buy members of both The house of commons and the House of Lords. So the total number of grace and favour homes is costing quite a sum.

Governments who seek to represent the nation should get themselves organised in a more down to earth and acceptable way. They need to speak the language of the people, not the language of the Gentry.

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh: