• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grace Dent's Thoughts - 17/01 - Interesting Stuff
17-01-2007, 03:03 PM

Spot on as usual......

Dumb and dumber

Posted on Wed 17 January, 11:50pm

[Image: 1.jpg]
It's 1am in the morning and I'm watching Jade Goody on the CBB sofa. She's in full spitting-feathers mode about Shilpa Shetty. Jade hates and despises everything about Shilpa. In fact, she wants to head-butt her. Shilpa, according to Jade, is a nasty, dishonest, fake, manipulative piece of work.
Jade hates Shilpa's smug face, her laugh, the way she speaks and the way Shilpa isn't "real". "Big Bruvva is like totally favouritising Shilpa" - by giving her help for her back pain. That Shilpa has turned Dirk and Jermaine against Jade, too. Jade's rant goes on for an hour, the worst parts obscured by birdsong.
Jo O'Meara and Jack Tweedy smirk and chip in snide comments. Mysteriously, after a diary room visit at 11pm, Danielle Lloyd has been struck dumb. As Jade rambles on moronically about how wonderful, genuine and beyond reproach Jade is in comparison to Shilpa and how, magnanimously, Jade only entered CBB to give her mum and boyfriend this wonderful opportunity, little does she realise the storm of crap brewing outside.
Over 13,000 complaints about Celebrity Big Brother 5 have been logged with Ofcom and Channel 4. Several newspaper front pages are labelling Jade a racist. There's blanket negative coverage on British TV and radio.
Act Against Bullying has dropped Jade as a spokesperson. MP Keith Vaz is tabling a parliamentary motion over racism. All over the media, commentators who admit they've never watched Celebrity Big Brother are giving hazy "expert opinions" on events.
Faced with a few idiotic comments about "Indians eating with their hands" and Shilpa being "a dog", it's pretty difficult for commentators to prove there's racism in the house. To really understand how this huge furore grew you need to have been there from Day 1.
Inviting Jackiey Budden, Jade's mum, into the Big Brother house was certainly the catalyst to the problem. During Jackiey's stint in the house, her behaviour towards Shilpa, well documented in my previous blogs, would have been classed as racist in any modern British workplace.
Nevertheless, Jackiey Budden was slung out of the house without much rebuke from Davina. This is one of the show's biggest problems. If Big Brother is determined to give mentally questionable numbskulls 24-hour-a-day airtime and let us get nice and worked up about their views, it can't really let culprits appear to skip off scott free when it comes to eviction time.
But at the moment that seems to be the only policy. Yes, Channel 4 might have won ratings by televising inflammatory footage of Jackiey being an ignorant pig to "that Indian" all week long, but when it comes to eviction night, we're back to cosy, frothy, light entertainment again.
The fact is, Davina's chair isn't really the place to expect any po-faced public statements on racial awareness. Neither is Big Brother's Little Brother, Big Brother's Big Mouth or even Big Brother's Big Brain.
[INDENT]With a distinct lack of fun on CBB this year, the most gripping part of the show will be watching how Big Brother cleans this whole mess up[/INDENT][Image: 2.jpg]
In Jackiey's case, by the time regular CBB viewers had watched the racism question being whitewashed by Davina, fudged by Dermot and excused for by pop-psychologists on Big Brain, viewers had begun to get a little heated and complaints began to flood in to Channel 4.
Then, with Jackiey Budden dispatched last Wednesday, quickly the Jack Tweedy alleged racism problem kicked off. In brief, at some point just after Jackiey's eviction, Jack Tweedy, Jade's largely silent boyfriend, was shown on Channel 4 making a bleeped derogatory comment about Shilpa Shetty.
It's difficult to ascertain exactly what Jack said. However, the combination of Jade's shocked expression, amateur lip-reading and the fact that unbleeped offensive language is so normal on post-watershed Big Brother that the comment had to be something bloody terrible to be censored at 10pm, led many viewers to assume the worst. Many people accused Jack of saying "Paki".
Many more people complained to Channel 4 about racism towards Shilpa. People were starting to get really angry about Celebrity Big Brother. Bearing in mind that Jack's entire outburst was captured on video, it would have been a good idea for the unbleeped footage to have been accidentally leaked onto YouTube. If Jack didn't say "Paki", then it would have put an end to the controversy. Instead, a statement was issued by Channel 4 telling everyone that Jack didn't say it and that's that.
The problem is, "that's that" doesn't wash with the British public these days. Seven years into Big Brother and we're all highly au fait with the idea of interacting and changing TV. Viewers love voting, texting and calling in with their opinions.
They love posting clips up on YouTube and starting frenzied debates and petitions about issues on the internet. They expect and demand to be able to make a difference.
And these days, when they get no joy from TV companies over important matters, they're fully aware that the next simple step is contacting the broadcasting complaints phone line, Ofcom and even hassling their local MP. Laughable perhaps, but totally true.
Over the past week we've watched Jade, Jo and Danielle join together to outcast Shilpa Shetty. It's classic schoolyard tactics, really. The trio huddle together in secret conversations. They bitch about Shilpa continually, finding fault with her voice, her walk, her manners, her cooking, her looks and her supposed inflated ego. They make stupid remarks about Shilpa's culture, which aren't specifically racist but just show them up for a distinct lack of brains.
I wouldn't call them racist myself, just nasty, empty-headed and bitchy, but it's not as clear cut as that. Jermaine Jackson is vocal about Jade and co's actions being all about racism. Bearing in mind that Jermaine is in there living with them and that he rarely speaks without giving matters a lot of contemplation and seems a very nice bloke, I have a lot of respect for his view.
Jermaine says that Shilpa's problems in the house stem from the colour of her skin. Yes, he says, we could all say Shilpa's unpopularity is down to her class and the lofty way she holds herself, but then Jermaine argues why isn't posh Cleo Rocas being singled out for abuse, too? Keith Vaz MP for Leicester East is convinced this is racism. So were numerous callers on radio phone-ins and TV shows yesterday. I'm pretty sure whoever sent those malicious e-mails to Channel 4 last night wasn't sitting on the fence, either.
With a distinct lack of fun on CBB this year, the most gripping part of the show will be watching how Big Brother cleans this whole mess up. Or if it even bothers at all.
The sad fact is, we've got Shilpa Shetty, one of India's biggest stars, in a house surrounded by Jade, Jack, Danielle, and Jo, all white English people, who are bullying mercilessly, making dumb-ass comments about India, threatening to beat her up and causing a national incident. It's not looking very good, is it?
"Who goes? You decide!" is the motto of the game. Well it looks like 13,000 people have decided. Kick all four of them out now.
Oh, dear, this is getting depressing. Who fancies a nice cup of tea? Mail me on "grace.dent@bbc.co.uk?subject=TV OD".

Liking the cut of your jib.........[Image: aniburns.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Yep! Very spot on Pan, thanks for posting that, an excellent read! :applause:
Find all posts by this user
17-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Fabulous and spot on as always.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
17-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Very good, i am surprised by how well that reads. But can we finally clear something up.

In India, the vast majority of the population eat with their hands?

can someone deny this?

**I heart Northern Soul**
17-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Never been to India so I wouldnt know.

Anyway, if you had three nieces like I have, who only seem to shovel pizzas and Big Macs down their necks, I reckon anyone would think the majority of our UK teenagers eat with their hands.....

Liking the cut of your jib.........[Image: aniburns.gif]
17-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Yes they do, as they do in most Asian countries, including China. It's the reason most of their meals are served in bowls, the bowl sits under the chin and they 'hook' it in from there. A lot in China do use the chopsticks, but a lot more cannot even afford them - so fingers do.

Like you say Pandora, just check out our own teens who think all food goes in by hand!
17-01-2007, 04:12 PM
I had an Asian colleague once and we all often used to go out for a curry and yes, he did eat with his hands. :eat:

:sun: : PUNKYFISH
17-01-2007, 05:21 PM
When they are evicted there's talk of them being booed when they come out, but i think best laugh would be to have nobody there at all, just a sign on a stick with the number for a taxi
19-01-2007, 06:32 PM
I thought there might have been a new one today

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  More Grace Dent - and she has Cleo spot on! Pandora 4 1,146 24-01-2007 06:49 PM
Last Post: IsLe Of WeAtHeR
  Grace Dent on the shenanigans of the last week 22/1/07 Pandora 11 2,046 23-01-2007 07:28 PM
Last Post: Dolores
  Grace Dents latest look at CBB (excellent stuff) Pandora 2 877 12-01-2007 02:44 PM
Last Post: Bonsai
  Grace Dent's comments on Celeb BB Pandora 6 1,452 08-01-2007 05:18 PM
Last Post: Pandora