Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green and pleasant land
19-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Green and pleasant land

OK I think I'm definately turning into a Grumpy Old Man. The smallest thing seems to get me going these days.

Anyway, weather maps.... anyone noticed that the BBC have redesigned their weather maps? They seem to have turned the UK, and most of northern europe into the Sahara.

I know it's been hot the last couple of days but they changed the colour of the land about two weeks ago. It seems to have been done so that they can show off their new "cloud shadow" effect. I'm sure it could work just as well if the land mass was actually green.

Perhaps the BBC are taking global warming warnings to the extreme and trying to demonstrate what the UK will look like in a couple of years. Either that, or the water companies are sending subliminal messages about the lack of water.

Whatever the reason, I don't like it. I want England to look green and pleasant, not like Afganistan. :ranting:

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Green and pleasant land
I wish they had left it alone too. Sometimes its just change for changes sake, still the forcasts seem to be getting more accurate. On TV am on friday morning they said the cloud would clear into bright sunshine at about 4pm, and almost exactly that time, that is what happened.
Find all posts by this user
19-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Green and pleasant land
There's a weather forum I go onto every now and then and everyone on there hates the new style weather forecasts.

They have totally dumbed it down so that all you can see now is where the rain and cloud is going to be.(or should I say supposed to be)
There are no pressure charts, no wind direction and no fronts.
Madness I tell you, madness.:wacko:

And who doesn't feel sick when they travel around the country showing all the different weather. It's like being on a roller coaster:sick:

Oh as well, apparently a lot of people in Scotland have been complaining because the way the map of Britain is presented now it makes Scotland look alot smaller than it actually is.

[Image: 429.gif]
19-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Green and pleasant land
I don't like it either! I wish they had just left it how it was!
19-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Green and pleasant land
It's the usual PC-ness from the Beeb...they don't want to offend anyone who might not actually come from a verdant, green countryside....desert brown is now deemed the new colour of choice...
20-06-2005, 06:58 AM
Green and pleasant land
Andrea Wrote:There's a weather forum I go onto every now and then

..and you admit this in public!

Actually my dad is mad for knowing what the weather is going to be and he probably visits this site too!

As for weather maps and the dumbing down thereof, EVERYTHING is dumbed down these days and if can't be got across in a soundbite then it's not included. Who are they appealing to I wonder? I'm not saying everything shuold be high falutin' but surely there should be some depth?

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
20-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Green and pleasant land
I don't like it either. It's too basic. I like to see the fronts and low/high pressures etc. Bring the old one back I say!

Andrea what weather forum. I would like to see that.Smile I find the weather fascinating and because I can name all the clouds. Mr tiggs thinks I'm a weather anorak. :wink2:

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
20-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Green and pleasant land
Haydon Wrote:OK I think I'm definately turning into a Grumpy Old Man. The smallest thing seems to get me going these days.

Anyway, weather maps.... anyone noticed that the BBC have redesigned their weather maps? They seem to have turned the UK, and most of northern europe into the Sahara.

I know it's been hot the last couple of days but they changed the colour of the land about two weeks ago. It seems to have been done so that they can show off their new "cloud shadow" effect. I'm sure it could work just as well if the land mass was actually green.

Perhaps the BBC are taking global warming warnings to the extreme and trying to demonstrate what the UK will look like in a couple of years. Either that, or the water companies are sending subliminal messages about the lack of water.

Whatever the reason, I don't like it. I want England to look green and pleasant, not like Afganistan. :ranting:

Oh Haydon LOL. Are you auditioning for the Grumpy Old Men series?? If so, then boy oh boy you have a great chance of succeeding.

That was one of the funniest moans I have heard. Sorry I know it gets your goat, but it is hilarious.:laugh:

I know Andrea likes to peruse weather fronts etc. And can see that the 'cartoony' way they present weather is a bit patronising to intelligent people. But it is still making me giggle.

I tend to look at the cows, and the wildlife, it tells you more than the weather forecasters can.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

20-06-2005, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2005 08:55 AM by Andrea.)
Green and pleasant land
tigger767 Wrote:Andrea what weather forum. I would like to see that.Smile I find the weather fascinating and because I can name all the clouds. Mr tiggs thinks I'm a weather anorak. :wink2:

Tiggs its this one..... www.net-weather.co.uk

Some of it goes totally over my head, but they have all the charts and some really interesting reading on there:thumbsup:

Weather anoraks of the world unite:ninja:

[Image: 429.gif]
20-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Green and pleasant land
Thanks Andrea, have saved the site, and will go have a nose. Smile

What started your interest in weather Andrea? Mine was started after living in North Carolina and tracking hurricanes and severe thunderstorms.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."