Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamsters
23-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Hamsters

Today I bought a hamster for the boys. We have bought a book and all the basic stuff.

Any of you hamster owners/ex-owners got any tips?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Hamsters
The more you handle them the tamer they become. If you let it run round the room keep a close eye on your wires. You can now buy hamster litter which trains them to do their mess in one place and it doesn`t smell. They like chocolate but if you give them too much they wiil throw up
23-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Hamsters
One piece of advice....

don't take it into a delivery suite with you, they do not make good midwives!:nerd:

On a serious note, handle him lots and regularly, keep the temperature even, they do not like getting cold, clean out weekly, change water every other day.

Apart from that they are easy to keep. I have lots of food and sawdust you can have next time you float Bedford way (I had just stocked up when the friggin thing died!)
23-04-2006, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2006 03:24 PM by Patsy.)
Hamsters
Oooo hamster litter trays. Sounds good.

I checked I wasn't pregnant first, Buzz, just in case. :thumbsup:

I plan to start handling her properly in the next day or so; just wanted her to get used to her cage first.

Thanks for the offer of the sawdust and feed. Mucho appreciado.

How deep should the sawdust be?
23-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Hamsters
Patsy Wrote:Oooo hamster litter trays. Sounds look.
EH?

I checked I wasn't pregnant first, Buzz, just in case.:thumbsup:
Good idea

I plan to start handling her properly in the next day or so; just wanted her to get used to her cage first.
[i]Another good idea...your full of em.[/i]

Thanks for the offer of the sawdust and feed. Mucho appreciado.
your very welcome

How deep should the sawdust be?
You should still be able to see the hamster

HTH........
23-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Hamsters
:laugh: I don't care what anyone else says about you, Barbara. You're very funny.
23-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Hamsters
Patsy Wrote:Any of you hamster owners/ex-owners got any tips?

One's not enough for a pie.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
23-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Hamsters
Thank you, Virginia McKenna. :glare:
23-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Hamsters
And another thing...if it get's under your gas fire, under no circumstances should you suck it out with the attachment off a Dyson hoover - as the commercial says - it doesn't lose suction:shocking:
23-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Hamsters
I would say pick him up as soon as you want to Patsy. I may seem a bit harsh but I don't go in for this mollycoddling them! I also tend to not bother too much about waking him up when he's asleep either, esp if it's early evening anyway as your kids will probably be in bed when he is at his liveliest.

We pick ours up when the fancy takes US! not him! are we rotten hamster owners? he seems quite happy though and the more they are handled the less likely they are to bite.

Our present hamster is very smelly and his bed needs cleaning out almost every day. (maybe he's a bed wetter cos he keeps getting woken up at odd hours!). Hamsters are very clean tidy creatures and always use the same corner for weeing in.

are you going to post a piccy up of the little fellah soon?

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user