Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone seen Phantom of the Opera?
20-12-2004, 11:11 AM

If so, what did you think of it?

I have been wanting to see the theatre version ever since it came out and it just never happened. In the early days I played and played the tape with Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman til I know every word and every pause for breath - lol.

I took myself to the cinema yesterday and prepared the enjoy it but I was very disappointed with the singing. I thought it was really poor compared to the originals. The Phantom shouted a lot of it and Christine screeched the high notes. Why couldn't they have dubbed over the originals. Nobody could sing the Phantom and Christine like them.

Funny thing was - there was only 8 people in the audience - says it all I suppose. I know it probably has limited appeal - not a man's film I wouldn't have thought.

But then, we always say that if you phone our cinema and ask what time it starts they say "what time can you get here" - hahaha

What did you think of it?
Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Ooops! still finding my way round here and Peej re-directed me here (thanks Peej). Now I see a thread for latest films you have watched. This should be on there as it has already been discussed. Sorry folks.

Still like to know what you thought of the singing though :laugh:
20-12-2004, 04:31 PM
I haven't seen it yet Critique. I was planning to, but to be honest I am not sure if I want to after reading your review....
22-12-2004, 07:21 PM
I've seen it as a play a few times. Once in Toronto, Canada and once when it came to my hometown thru a traveling broadway version of it. I love the play and expect the movie to be good (haven't seen it yet), but think it is best seen on stage.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-12-2004, 12:41 AM
i am a fan of musicals so i had earmarked this one to see!! but perhaps would prefer to see it onstage? the ads dont look that good for it. and i swear to god i read an interview and jennifer ellison was supposed to be in it?

kookycat? she makes exceedingly good posts

[Image: pot002.gif]

[Image: egg03061.gif]
24-12-2004, 09:55 AM
I saw it on Monday and LOVED it! :wub:

Gerrad Butler as the Phantom is not only Phwoooar (even when ugly side exposed) but his voice is amazing...he is the only member of the cast who hasn't been dubbed over....Mini Driver is hilariously OTT and the whole film is spectacular...I have always wanted to see the stage version and will one day but for now this film has excited my joy buds no end......If you love musicals....see it....if you love an extravaganza...see it....if you want to be amazed...see it! :laugh:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
02-01-2005, 06:01 PM
i did'nt think i would like it as its not usually my sort of thing but i was in tears at the end and really enjoyed it, even better with a scoop or two of chunky monkey ice cream by ben&jerry's mmmm! :laugh:

Sammy xx :wave:xx
Find all posts by this user