Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has the Tory Party Gone Mad?
14-11-2004, 10:32 AM

So ... Michael Howard has sacked Boris Johnson because he had an affair. Or rather - not because he had an affair. But because he was not honest about it when challenged. So, he has been sacked for not telling the truth. Now, I wonder if every Tory minister was sacked for not telling the truth, would there be anyone left?

I think the Tory Party has gone mad.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2004, 10:44 AM
I heard this on the radio this morning SF. I don't know the story at all but just this week in the paper Michael Howard was at some award ceremony singing Boris's praises.

Personally I think he's much better off out of the Tory party - he can speak his mind now!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2004, 11:14 AM
I think Michael Howard is overreacting and setting daft precedents. For starters, does Boris owe anyone (other than his wife) an explanation of his private life? I'm not sure that it can be said that he has lied, simply that he does not feel bound to bring the truth to people it does not concern. In any case, Michael Howard seemed to find the whole subject amusing enough when he publicly joked about it during a speech a few days ago.

If Boris has indeed done what is alleged then I'm not impressed. But I was far less impressed by his continuing to allow the racist junkie Taki to continue his nasty column in the spectator, unreprimanded for frequent racist rubbish -something which seemed to be overlooked. And that pales into insignficance over the excesses of duplicity shown by the labour front bench over iraq. That's the sort of stuff which ought to raze political scalps, not shagging in the press office.
14-11-2004, 04:49 PM
I actually agree with Howards decision.

I am looking at this from the point of view of a potential future PM. He is looking at his oppo, Blair and he sees that Blair tells geet huge porkies. He sees the GBP becoming disallusioned with the continual lies and cover ups perpetrated by the Labour government.

So he is presented with a situation, Boris. He really has no other choice to sack him. He has made it quite clear that he is not sacking him because 'of' the affair - no, because of his dishonesty. And a future PM cannot be seen to be permissive of dishonesty.

I personally think he has made a great 'politically tactical' call. However, I love that loon Boris Johnson!
14-11-2004, 05:04 PM
I happen to agree with Flip on this one. She said everything I would say about it, so I won't repeat it . Smile

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
14-11-2004, 05:13 PM
I regret Boris going. If they read back in the press when he became an MP there were huge hints of his dalliances. He is apparently fully expected to be involved with his chidren including school run, on that Mrs J will apparently not compromise. I would be suprised if his wife left him. I don't feel he should be sacked for not telling Howard whats what. I would still be miffed at Howard over the Spectator rebuke.
Thats my almost vote for the Tories gone again.
Boris is as honest in his politics as the next MP. He has been on a huge learning curve as an MP. I make an effort to read what he writes and frankly have liked him from day one.
14-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Flip Wrote:he is not sacking him because 'of' the affair - no, because of his dishonesty. And a future PM cannot be seen to be permissive of dishonesty.

But that is just an illusion surely - I mean that dishonesty can't be permitted. Are the Tory faithful really taken in by it - or is it that they simply want to let themselves be taken in by it?

Also, I wonder if it's being dishonest that's the real issue - I get the feeling that dishonest is OK, it's being found out that's the problem!

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
14-11-2004, 09:45 PM
survivorfan Wrote:Also, I wonder if it's being dishonest that's the real issue - I get the feeling that dishonest is OK, it's being found out that's the problem!

I think this is probably true.

I really dont' see why Boris should apologise to anyone except his wife and family. What Michael Slimeball Howard thinks he is gaining with this pathetic show of sacking someone for having an affair is beyond me. Oh and btw - wasn't the fragrant Mrs H married when Mr H met her?

The likes of Boris were saving the Tory party from totally mediocrity without him they are pale and lacklustre - good - so maybe Howard has done the Labour Party a favour!

If Howard dismisses everyone who lies in his party he will find himself in very deep water!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
15-11-2004, 10:52 AM
What I wonder is how Boris Johnson - with his Spectator editors job, his role in the Tory Party, his role as Shadow Arts Minister, and his other media commitments - was able to fulfil his duty to his constituents as an MP??!

The man's a buffoon. He's great entertainment value, but has no credibility as a serious politician. I don't think that Howard's just sacked him for this latest indiscretion - I think he was sacked because of all the accumulated bloopers he's committed, particularly the Liverpool article. He should back to where he belongs on HIGNFY.

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
15-11-2004, 05:57 PM
mikado Wrote:The man's a buffoon. He's great entertainment value

He is both of these things Mik! But I also believe he has a great intellect which is hidden by his disarmingly charming and affable nature.

Whereas Mr Howard has none of the above!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Inside Hezbollah | Party of God johnconory 9 919 08-08-2006 03:46 PM
Last Post: gatubela
  Princess Eugenie's Party Turns into Drunken Rave MariaRob 9 778 04-04-2006 09:59 AM
Last Post: Aondeag