Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have your parents offered you words of wisdom?
17-12-2004, 07:08 PM

I was chatting to a bloke at work about another colleague who told me that he never drinks with work mates as he is a different person outside of work with a drink (I secretly wondered if this was the time he developed a real live personality!). Anyway Chris told me that his dad always used to say "Never trust a man who wont take a drink in company". Too true.

But then I got to thinking that my dear old pa and ma have NEVER offered me any words of wisdom that I can remember. (and no I don't count "and don't come home ****ed! ... as words of wisdom!!).

.....so what words of wisdom have been imparted to you over the years from your parents?

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2004, 07:14 PM
My parents never really offered me words of wisdom but my mum has always been very frank about her....erm....60's rebellion...me and my brother never had to experiment with drugs we simply asked mum what they did! :wacko:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
17-12-2004, 07:48 PM
My parent offered me and my siblings loads of words of wisdom. I tok them to heart for a while, but I have since come to realise that most of them were b0llocks.

I was offered such snippets as:

"Never trust a girl who has hair over her face. She has something to hide" (we're talking long fringes here, rather than beards - I've had a fringe for years,and Mum keeps telling me it looks "shifty").

"Never trust a man whose eyebrows meet in the middle. He has violent tendancies" (If I didn't pluck them for him, Mr H would have one long eyebrow runnng the length of his forehead. He has trouble stamping on a spider, so I think his violent tendencies are questionable).

There were other snippets, some I think were worth bearing in mind actually. But those were the most ridiculous.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
18-12-2004, 07:39 PM
I don't recall any specific words of wisdom from my parents but what I have learnt from them is by example.

I am one of 5 children, we are all close - best friends infact, we never had a great deal on birthdays/christmas but what we had was greatly appreciated.
We look out for each other and are there for each other. Dad now is mums full time carer as she has altzeimers.

In my upbringing words wern't great, but the actions were.

Love em all.
x
18-12-2004, 07:54 PM
my mother once told me that my virginity was something to be treasure and i shouldnt let any joe bloggs take it!! oops too late.

kookycat? she makes exceedingly good posts

[Image: pot002.gif]

[Image: egg03061.gif]
18-12-2004, 07:56 PM
kookycat Wrote:my mother once told me that my virginity was something to be treasure and i shouldnt let any joe bloggs take it!! oops too late.

I was called a Jezabel by my mum when she found my pills. I was 18 tho.

Great movie staring Bette Davies by the way. Wear that red dress girl.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Words/Sayings from a byegone age Figaro 34 2,336 08-06-2007 03:11 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  Words of wisdom. secrets 16 1,172 21-07-2006 01:20 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  Proud Parents floopy 33 1,745 14-03-2006 05:24 PM
Last Post: PJ
  Advice please: Where can I put my parents? karenh 18 1,682 20-10-2005 05:24 PM
Last Post: Northern angel
  Worst Words jaycee 14 1,270 31-07-2005 08:49 AM
Last Post: Fee For All
  Wisdom teeth.... PJ 21 1,429 31-05-2005 03:19 PM
Last Post: Becks
  Words or expressions you hate.... Dolores 25 1,920 25-05-2005 06:19 PM
Last Post: Gelastic
  Trendy Words Flip 18 1,304 17-05-2005 03:42 PM
Last Post: Dolores
  Do you swear in front of your parents? Dolores 15 1,266 08-03-2005 08:26 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  When children realise parents are people sheoque 4 759 22-11-2004 11:06 PM