Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having people to stay/ staying with people
07-08-2005, 05:33 PM

Well? Do you love it, hate it? Are you a better host than guest?

I've just had Dolores to stay and we've had a lovely weekend. She's very laid back and good company and her son gets on with my 2 really well, so it's always an easy time. She's so laid back that I'm probably not a very good host as I usually just let her get on with it and make her own drinks etc and even let her make mine!

I was going to post that I don't generally like having people to stay but suddenly realised that it's probably really down to my husband. Because when he was younger it's not something he and his family did and he's carried that through to our lives.

As for staying with people I just spend my time worrying that everyone (OK, yes I do mean my husband!) is happy that I wouldn't be able to relax properly.

When I was young we all used to go and stay with my Nana in a one bedroomed bungalow. So altogether there was 6 of us, and I used to share a single bed with my mum! My husband thinks this is hilarious, but it's not really something I ever gave much thought to at the time. Eeeee those were the days!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2005, 05:38 PM
My husband is a bit like yours Mas, he doesn't like staying over and hates having people to stay. I, on the other hand find both quite easy and don't have a problem with either.

And if we move to Southampton, it's something he is going to have to get used to, but I have to say I am dreading the mother-in-law coming to stay!!! :ohmy:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
07-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Bella Wrote:And if we move to Southampton, it's something he is going to have to get used to, but I have to say I am dreading the mother-in-law coming to stay!!! :ohmy:

Lol Bella! Fortunately I only live a 20 minute drive from mine so we haven't had that happen, although we have been on holiday with them but that's different. It is something I gave thought to though when we were thinking of moving away ages ago. And it really was one of the things that put me off.

Christmas is always a bone of contention in my house. My husband is happy to stay one night but he really doesn't see the point in doing any more. Whereas if I go to my mum's I know she would be hurt if we just stayed one night. I always feel like I'm in the middle.
07-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Blimey, you're very pensive today Max!

We rarely have people to stay because we don't have the room. If we do, though (usually parents), we don't let them lift a finger. The only people we go stay with as a family are also parents. My parents are very much "treat it like your own home", whereas Mr P's Mum is a true hostess. It took us both a few years to get used to the differences, but are fine with both.

Mr P is also not a great mixer. Why did we all marry such grumpy bug gers?

If I ever go and stay with friends on my own (usually the Cats), I feel instantly at home. Cat is also a great hostess, but for different reasons. There is no ceremony and by the end of the night, no-one is standing!
Find all posts by this user
07-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Patsy Wrote:Blimey, you're very pensive today Max!

Keeping out of the grumpy bug ger's way! He'd deny it of course.
07-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Both me and Mr H loving having people to stay, but we do have time-limit. 3/4 nights on the trot is fine - but much longer than that it tends to get a bit wearing. At that point, the house will start to feel a bit cramped with the extra people.

Mostly, I prefer being a host to being a guest although that does depend to an extent on whose house it is. I don't think it much matters to Mr H - he can happily be a host or a guest. When it comes down to it though, its more about seeing the people. Where we do it is secondary.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
07-08-2005, 06:33 PM
I love having people to stay. Not that I do anything; they get a key and pointed in the general direction of where everything is. But like Karen, I don't like 'em around for tooo long.

However one friend of mine has a habit of 'helping'. This normally involves rearranging things - last time she was here, she reorganised my kitchen cupboards because 'they were illogical' and even changed vases of flowers, because SHE didn't like them.

Fortunately she's a back-to-wall bog-paper hanger otherwise I mightn't have been responsible for my actions :wink2:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
07-08-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm more than happy to have people visit and stop over...as long as they understand that they will need to take me as I am....

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
07-08-2005, 07:07 PM
......... and a marvellous hostess you are too. :thumbsup:
07-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Patsy Wrote:......... and a marvellous hostess you are too. :thumbsup:

Cheers hun...you can come visit again.. :thumbsup:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The people of Survivor Online - The Curmudgeon's verdict. The Curmudgeon 115 7,978 29-05-2008 12:25 PM
Last Post: Gneiss
  Quick question for you good people.... Figaro 24 2,916 15-01-2007 04:12 PM
Last Post: Patsy
  SO News people - volunteers wanted Haydon_acc2 19 1,844 13-09-2006 10:53 PM
Last Post: Haydon_acc2
  people who are 'know it alls'... msgirl 13 1,442 05-04-2006 10:48 PM
Last Post: Andrea
  Why do people leave or stop posting on SO? Northern angel 125 5,493 22-02-2006 03:47 PM
Last Post: Aondeag
  How do people...? JakeyBoy 27 1,993 11-12-2005 05:33 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  Not Many People Know That. survivorfan 17 1,321 13-10-2005 07:11 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Sayings that people LOVE... Aondeag 16 1,811 31-08-2005 07:25 PM
Last Post: jaycee
  What Famous Person/People Have You Met? Patsy 31 2,186 11-05-2005 10:23 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Famous people you fancy - but think you probably shouldn't Voice of reason 154 6,134 14-03-2005 09:48 AM
Last Post: claire