Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heating
27-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Heating

When do you tend to put your heating on indoors ? Have you already had it on ?

I am refusing to turn our heating on yet - much to the disgust of Mr.B who was freezing last night *chuckle*. We have put the open fire on, but not the heating - i mean, its only September.

I have to admit though that the mornings in particular are cold .... but i want to hold off until October is possible.

Am i mad :bored:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Heating
No Bonnie, I don't think your mad.

We don't have any central heating only night storage heaters, one in the lounge, one in the dining room (this one's never switched on) and one on the landing.

We have our log burner so when it's starting to get cold in an evening we get that going, but not usually until at least mid-October, sometimes even later, and that tends to warm up pretty much the whole house. And we do have that going every day. I quite like getting the fire going in an afternoon.

We only put the night storage heaters on when it's really cold.
The one on the landing goes on usually late November, but the one in the living room goes on when it's really cold in the morning and you are shivering getting ready in a morning.

Consequently my boys don't really feel the cold:w00t: they've got used to it. You can often find them running around outside in November in a t-shirt.:w00t:

[Image: 429.gif]
27-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Heating
I just have my thermostat set to 20, and if it gets colder than that it will kick in. I am grateful for that when I get up at 5:30am, it's mostly cold and dark and horrible then, so I have no problem falling out of bed and waking up properly under a shower!

It only stays on for a 1/2 hour or so, but if it's cold I don't want to be.....I HATE the cold! Cool

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
Find all posts by this user
27-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Heating
Yes you are mad. If it's cold why not put it on. What's so special about October?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
27-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Heating
survivorfan Wrote:Yes you are mad. If it's cold why not put it on. What's so special about October?

Im trying to save money. We have oil heating, and at the moment it costs a blummin fortune. Therefore - why not shove another jumper on, rather than sit in T-shirts with the heating on ?

27-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Heating
We have an antiquated system and can't separate the heating from the hot water, so when one's on, they're both on. So we just keep the radiators turned off. I have switched a couple of them on low, just to take the chill off when required.
27-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Heating
Unfortunately our rads seem to be permanently hot and scolding, or nothing at all. They all seem a little seized up. In reality, i think we need new rads - but we cant afford it at the moment.

I have just been looking at oil prices on the net, and its not cheap. BUT, i still thinks its cheaper than elec / gas heating.

27-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Heating
Bonsai Wrote:Unfortunately our rads seem to be permanently hot and scolding, or nothing at all.

This would make your heating bills more than they need to be. If you got that sorted, having the heating on in September wouldn't be such an issue, especially if you kept the heating down to a reasonable level during winter. A degree or two can make quite a difference to the cost.

27-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Heating
Bonsai Wrote:Unfortunately our rads seem to be permanently hot and scolding, or nothing at all.

This would make your heating bills more than they need to be. If you got that sorted, having the heating on in September wouldn't be such an issue, especially if you kept the heating down to a reasonable level during winter. A degree or two can make quite a difference to the cost.

your problem sounds like the thermostat which isn't expensive to replace.

27-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Heating
Yep - you're right SF. I might look into getting those thermostat thingies put on them.

I think one of my pet hates with heating is the fact that Mr.B puts it on for an hour before he gets out of bed. He gets up at 5:45am, which means the heating comes on at 4:45am !!!! Its ridiculous - but Mr.B wont be swayed.

This means i get woken up with clonking pipes really early, and by the time i get up (around 7:30am) - i think ive gone to hell its soooo bleedin hot :unsure: Its a total waste of energy. Unfortunately i dont know how to change the timer .... or i would amend it.

Im a firm believer in trying to save energy. It might sound tight, but i do think we should dress more sensibly in the winter time and not expect to be walking around in flip flops and T-shirts in the cold seasons. I often curl up on the sofa with a blanket and a couple of cats for warmth, oh and a large glass of brandy. Its a lot more comforting that a hot radiator in my eyes !!