Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me before my pc dies!
19-04-2005, 05:47 PM

Yesterday and today my computer didn't start as it usually does.
Instead of pressing the power and then leaving it to get to the ctr, Alt Delete page, it got stuck somewhere in between.
I have had this page before when I've left a floppy in the A drive,but no floppy in and this message:

Check system health: ok
Master hard disc S.M.A.R.T status Bad Backup and replace
:mad2:
I could pres F1 to continue and windows started up ok, but I don't know what to do!
Should I really replace my master hard disc? Is that the same as hard drive?
Or is it something I can repair myself.
Please help me!

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Go into the BIOS, switch off the useless SMART system, run a scandisk with surface test. Backup hard drive, and consider replacing if you really want to.

Detailed instructions will follow tomorrow if you need them.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
19-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Thanks for replying Blink, but what is BIOS? I don't know how to runa surface test! How do I back up the hard drive and would I realy need to replace it?
I'd be grateful for any advice, but if it's really lengthy don't worry, I'll take it into a pc shop. Big Grin:

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
19-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Can't help you with your PC problem, Bobski, but your pussy's nearly had it. It doesn't even want to play. It's starving.
Find all posts by this user
19-04-2005, 10:02 PM
blink is abosolutly right Bob but i know you are running win 98 or less

you need a new one see me

[b][i]Life is not that long [Image: 36_1_12.gif]
[/b][/i]
20-04-2005, 06:48 AM
Bob Wrote:I'd be grateful for any advice, but if it's really lengthy don't worry, I'll take it into a pc shop. Big Grin:
It's up to you. Yes, the advice would be lengthy, and some of it is necessarily technical. Not all PC shops will be able to help here (or inclined to, since they more likely have a vested interest in selling you a new PC).

You could perhaps start with the easy part. In Windows, go to Start-->Accessories-->System Tools-->Scandisk. Choose the C drive, and select the option for a thorough test (which includes a surface scan). Disable any screensaver, since that will interfere with the operation. Start the scan and let it run - this could take a few hours, so you may want to leave it running overnight. Switch your monitor off to avoid burnout.

There's an advanced option on Scandisk to fix problems automatically; you should switch that on if you're going to be leaving the PC to it. In fact you may as well switch it on anyway.

Having done the scan, reboot your computer. If you still have a problem then you'll need to perform the other steps I mention, which is where it gets complicated and technical...

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
20-04-2005, 07:17 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2005 07:20 AM by Cockney.)
I could probably get you a base unit only Reconditioned
you use your old monitor but you get new keyboard and mouse

what You get

Windows XP Home

MS office 2003

Atherton 2200 processor

20 gig hard drive

224 Mb RAM

56k internl modem

for about £200

[b][i]Life is not that long [Image: 36_1_12.gif]
[/b][/i]
20-04-2005, 07:24 AM
I don't mean to wee on your bonfire, Cockney, but have you seen >this<? With Dell selling new PCs for £241, I think the bottom has really dropped out of the secondhand/recon PC market.

Brief specs:

2.4GHz Celeron
Windows XP
256MB RAM
40GB hard drive
17" monitor.
DVD/CDRW combo drive
Modem
Network
MS Works

20-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Bob this happened to mine too - it is probably dying and irrepairable. Buy a new one. :wink2:
20-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Blink Wrote:It's up to you. Yes, the advice would be lengthy, and some of it is necessarily technical.
Blink if you don't mind running through this with me I'd be really grateful. I'm not wanting to get rid just yet. I'll do the scan and let you know what happens. Big Grin

Cockney I'm on Win 2000, dos that make a difference?
Like Blink says new pc's are nearly as cheap as old, good package at TINY with everything including digi camera £500. But I'm not one to buy new things when there is still life in the old! I'm hoping to squeeze a few more years out of this yet.