Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with menu
11-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Help with menu

Its my wedding anniversary next week, so i bought Mr.B's card this morning, and have been planning what to do. Luckily it falls on a Sunday so we can have a nice romantic day.

Because we are kinda skint, i was thinking i will banish him from the kitchen in the evening, and prepare a nice meal ... three courses with wine - and have candles on the table etc ...

I just need to find a nice simple recipe to cook, maybe involving beef as thats his fav meat.

Can anyone suggest anything, that doesnt take Delia Smith to cook it. I enjoy cooking, but im not a brilliant chef. If not beef, then maybe chicken as thats his next fav (and mine too).

I dont think i want to do a casserole as i do them often in the week, maybe something that involves a joint - but something different to the usual bog standard roast :blink:

I was thinking of having melon for starter, and then maybe making a lemon sorbet for dessert.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Help with menu
A nice simple but stunning starter is figs with Gorgonzola Cheese!

All you do is wipe and halve the figs, then place them, cut side up, on the baking tray. Season with salt and freshly milled black pepper, then pop them under the grill for 5-6 minutes, until they're soft and just bubbling slightly. When the figs are ready, remove the baking tray from the grill and divide the cheese equally between them, gently pressing it down to squash it in a bit. Then pop them back under the grill for about 2 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and faintly golden brown.

Meanwhile, make the sauce by combining the honey and vinegar together, then serve the figs with the sauce poured over.

You don't need to use Gorgonzola cheese, but it does taste really lovely and it is ready in minutes.

I'll have a wee scoot around for a beef dish for you Bonny!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
11-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Help with menu
In fact you could try this one from Delia. I have done this one and it is really nice.

I'll link the page for you:

Delia Recipe

Hope that works! You could just get a smaller piece of meat and adjust accordingly.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
11-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Help with menu
Thank you Bella. I would adore your starter, and will print it off for my next dinner party. Unfortunately Mr.B doesnt like figs (he doesnt know what he is missing).

He has quite simple tastes. He likes for example a tiny bit of garlic, but not too much as he is mildly allergic.

11-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Help with menu
That delia beef receipe sounds delicious, and definate worth a try Smile

11-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Help with menu
Take a look at this site Bonnie.

There's one very near you.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
11-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Help with menu
But all the food is ready made isnt it ??? I would like to tackle the cooking myself ... which would be my present to Mr.B.

I think i will pop into the shop though as it looks interesting, and my mum will love it.

11-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Help with menu
Bonsai Wrote:But all the food is ready made isnt it ??? I would like to tackle the cooking myself ... which would be my present to Mr.B.

I think i will pop into the shop though as it looks interesting, and my mum will love it.

Bonnie a really simple and tasty starter is a quarter of a small round of Camembert, popped into a really really hot oven for about 90 seconds, take it out and carefully wrap it in a slice of Parma Ham, decorate with a few rocket leaves and finely sliced cucmbers [on the length rather than width].

For a main - with beef - is simply poaching a fillet steak in red wine and stock. Make a stock [go on chucky hen use a stock cube] reduce by 2/3rds, add a large glass of red wine and continue to reduce by 2/3rds again [boil very rapidly] - lower your fillets into the stock/wine jus [reduction] and poach for a few mins [depending on how rare you like your steaks - 3 mins for rare, 4 -5 mins med rare and 7 - 8 well done {ish}].

Serve with mash [try boiling some celeriac or an onion in your tatties and mash all together when cooked] of course to make the mash tastier - use double cream and lashings of butter. And some greens like spinach or spring greens. Or roasting some root veg in oil and garlic.

Puds are not a forte of mine - how about home-made rice pud - lovely comfort food. Or a mixed fruit Pavlova??
11-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Help with menu
Er, I hate to rain on anybody's parade but he's a REAL MAN I take it??!

All the men I know (especially the meat lovers) would say their favourite meal is an old fashioned roast with all the trimmings - home made Yorkshire pud, roast parsnips, a variety of veggies etc. Yes I know it wouldn't seem much to a woman, but blokes love a bit of traditional fare like their Mum used to make far more than they love all that poncey stuff out of Ainsley Harriott, Nigella or Jamie Oliver.

Make him a home made apple crumble and custard for pudding and he'll love you forever.

I think. :laugh:
11-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Help with menu
To start:

Dry toast.
[/font]
Main:

Pot Noodle, Chicken & Mushroom

or

Pot Noodle, Beef & Tomato

To end:

Tinned fruit salad.

Failing that, everything else that has been recommended sounds decent enough.

[font=Arial]cheerio!