Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holiday Camps!
29-07-2005, 06:52 AM
Holiday Camps!

I see that Dolores is off to Butlins today and it got me reminiscing about my childhood memories as we nearly always went to a holiday camp for our holidays.

Have you ever been to a holiday camp for a holiday/long weekend break either as a child or an adult? Do you have any fond memories or do you find them a complete nightmare?
Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Holiday Camps!
As a child we never went to holiday camps. I think my parents probably thought it wasn't their cup of tea ... not that we went on fabulous holidays abroad instead! we mostly visited relations for holidays or went camping, a couple of times on the Norfolk broads etc.

But since I've had my son I've been about 6 or 7 times. We really enjoy it cos a lot of stuff is there for you to do all in one place ... very handy if you don't have a car! and in the evening you can have a few beers and just wander back to the chalet!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Holiday Camps!
We went to a few when I was a kid and I loved them especially Butlins.

Mind you in those far off days I guess they were a totally different proposiion to what they are like today, there was a lot of organised team activities and rules etc. Everyone was woken at 7 am with 'Zippity Doo Dah' blasting from the tannoy system. I distinctly remember that if someone arrived late for a meal everyone in the food hall stopped what they were doing and hammered on the tables with the handles of their cutlery. If you were late three times you had to pay a forfeit, one bloke was dragged out of his chalet by redcoats at 7:30 am and had to sit on the roof in his pyjamas and eat a plate of cold stuffing.

The chalets were rather basic in those days, although I think you could get a 'luxury' chalet which meant you got a sink.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
29-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Holiday Camps!
We always had a sink but the toilet was at the end of the block. We didn't have any tea making facilities, I remember my dad going out rain or shine to the café to get the first cuppa of the day and bringing it back on a tray.

I remember the wake up call over the tannoy system but I had forgotten about the hammering on tables in the food hall, I loved that and we always use to go to the 2nd sitting as the 1st sitting was at an ungodly hour!
29-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Holiday Camps!
We never had holiday camp hols as kids - too poor. I can only remember having one proper holiday - a week in a caravan at Whitstable in Kent.

As we now have Butlins 5 mins up the road in Bognor, I've taken the grandkids in there for days. I think the admission fee is extortionate bearing in mind that all the things the kids want to do you have to pay for. There are a few free activites but they always want to go on the Go-Karts or plough money into arcade games.

I used to get cheap passes because I knew someone who worked in there, otherwise I wouldn't have gone. Better off saving the admission money and going to a "pay as you go" fun fair. Of course, if your kids like swimming and are willing to stay in the water half the day, that saves a few bob but the viewing area is like a Sauna so if you're not swimming you still need to be wearing a bikini Smile

Where abouts are you going Dol?
29-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Holiday Camps!
Bognor Crit! pop in and see us ... we'll smuggle you and Maz in!! bring the grandkids!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
29-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Holiday Camps!
Ooooh Yippeee! What time you getting there - a bit late now, I could have met you and arranged a welcoming committee. I will look for you in Town

xxx Crit
29-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Holiday Camps!
We always went on camping holidays, then went posh and got a caravan!! Usually Cornwall/West Country or Wales (like most Brummies!). Also spent some of the holidays visiting family.

The only time I've ever been to a holiday camp was a couple of years ago. Visited Butlins in Minehead for the day and absolutely hated it! It's fine if you want everything in one place and laid on for you, but I like to get out and about and find things to do. Probably, if you've got small kids who need entertaining, it's ideal. But really not my cup of tea at all.

My eldest went to Pontins with his friend a few years ago for a week and didn't like it much either.
Find all posts by this user
29-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Holiday Camps!
Went to Butlins in Pwllheli with my Grandad when I was 6 or 7. Loved it! But that was because I was with Grandad, who was ace. I wouldn't enjoy it now.
29-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Holiday Camps!
I have never been to one, and I don't think they are really my cup of tea. I am not big into organised anything, and would rather go my own little way - little adventures are more my style.

But I grant that the holidaycamp style holiday really does suit people with children and I have no doubt given the opportunity my boys would probably love it - but they ain't going to get that opportunity. Sorry lads!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone flying out on holiday? Fee For All 2 831 03-08-2007 03:57 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  Holiday Packing Buzz 8 898 16-08-2006 09:36 PM
Last Post: Sammboelyn
  Bank Holiday - What you up to the eh? Cat 27 1,856 31-05-2006 03:29 PM
Last Post: Tigereye
  Holiday/Relationship/Friends dilemma. PJ 36 2,750 11-05-2006 09:26 PM