Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holiday Showdown
19-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Holiday Showdown

Does anyone else watch this programme?

I stumbled across it last night and was totally hooked for a whole hour - which is an amazing concentration span for me!

One family was a totally up themselves terribly English family who tried to kid us that they dont usually eat Lobsters and have cream tea served by livered waiters but they normally eat beans on toast and were once so poor that they lived for three days on a peice of mouldy cheese the stuck up wife found behind the fridge ... even the uptight and totally reserved husband had to say she was exaggerating slightly there!

The other family were Australian, the dad was a bit of a macho knob but basically a nice guy who worked hard and enjoyed his family holiday in a caravan by the sea. I particularly liked his wife, who seemed like the most genuine one there.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Holiday Showdown
Dolores Wrote:Does anyone else watch this programme?

I stumbled across it last night and was totally hooked for a whole hour - which is an amazing concentration span for me!

One family was a totally up themselves terribly English family who tried to kid us that they dont usually eat Lobsters and have cream tea served by livered waiters but they normally eat beans on toast and were once so poor that they lived for three days on a peice of mouldy cheese the stuck up wife found behind the fridge ... even the uptight and totally reserved husband had to say she was exaggerating slightly there!

The other family were Australian, the dad was a bit of a macho knob but basically a nice guy who worked hard and enjoyed his family holiday in a caravan by the sea. I particularly liked his wife, who seemed like the most genuine one there.

This has been on for some weeks now Dol. The highlight for me was last weeks - when the family from hell went to Blackpool hell bent on eating burger and chips morning, noon and night, the kids were loud and demanding, the Mum lazy and completely ineffectual and the Dad did everything. The "posh" family that went with them took them to Dubai (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and nicknamed them the Munsters ! lol.

This weeks programme - I found the families less irritating. The Poshoes seemed to be living the life of luxury on credit - ie "What do we do when bills come in darling?" "Oh I just extend my overdraft" The kids were well behaved to the point of being robots and didnt show the slightest bit of affection for either parents, having been shipped off to boarding school practically as soon as they were born....... the Ozzie family were brash, branded as common, but were infinitely the better parents. True, the Father was a rather stereotypical competitive, sarcastic idiot but he bonded with the English familie's son by taking the lad fishing and praising him up. Which is more than the child's own Mum and Dad did.

As for the "cream tea" on Sark. Words failed me. How vile was the woman that ran the restaurant? And how OTT and unnecessary was all that opulence. I just pray it was all put on for the TV cameras. I turned the TV over to see kids starving in the Sudan - and it made what Id just watched look totally obscene.
19-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Holiday Showdown
I watched this too, and your right the English were so up their own ar$es it was scary. I felt very sorry for the boy Theo(?) he had no idea how to relax and enjoy himself and even when his mum asked for a cuddle he couldn't bring himself to do it, how sad is that?? Aussie bloke was okay,bit brash and full of it but at least his kids liked him and he semmed to want to be with his family on holiday.

As you say the woman who ran the tea rooms wants taking out and shooting..several times. Didn't do much for the tourist trade for Sark did it?
Find all posts by this user
19-11-2004, 10:20 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2004 10:22 PM by Shark_Attacks.)
Holiday Showdown
"As you say the woman who ran the tea rooms wants taking out and shooting..several times. Didn't do much for the tourist trade for Sark did it?"

OMG I totally agree! I had to rewind the tape again to actually believe what she said. What a total stuck up bitch. And with the cameras around she was probably acting civil. Urgh! Here's a few more bullets Buzz... lol

None of the families were overly irritating but they all had their flaws. The Brit dad was just so wooden and his wife went a tad OTT when he fell off the horse, 'Oh Charlie, oh Charlie' (whatever his name was?) in that awful high pitch. He totally annoyed me, just chill out for god sake! The Oz dad was a bit macho but as Dol said his wife was the most genuine person there. They did come across as being the better parents or the ones I would prefer anyway. I did feel sorry for Theo, especially when he was describing his boarding school, eek! Im sure it's all for the best in the long run though.

The final meal was so much calmer than the previous few showdowns which was nice to see. I hate it when they end up calling each other names rather than discussing the actual holiday.

My Shark Website
[Image: Fin.gif]
____/\___\0/____
21-11-2004, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2004 02:02 PM by Dolores.)
Holiday Showdown
I shall have to watch it next week ... I bet that was the last in the series wasn't it?

Or else it will clash with IAC.

I must dust off the video recorder and start taping stuff again!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
21-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Holiday Showdown
Dolores Wrote:I shall have to watch it next week ... I bet that was the last in the series wasn't it?

Or else it will clash with IAC.

I must dust off the video recorder and start taping stuff again!

Im afraid it was the last show, mah little chickadee :sad: - they may repeat them though, you never know.
13-12-2004, 01:30 AM
Holiday Showdown
Hi All I Am Leanne The Aussie Mum From The Show. Thank You For Your Replies As Yes I Was Genuine I Could Not Afford Not To Be. We Had A Blast With This Show And It Was An Experience Of A Lifetime. I Found It Hard At Times Having To Leave Two Youngest Boys In Aust And Never Having Been Seperated Before. I Have Five Sons. I Also Have An Illness Called Chronic Fatigue And Was Housebound For Four Years Before My Husband Had To Leave Work So I Could Get Some Health Back. This Was Hard Also As Even Though I Gave Myself A Big Pat On The Back For Making It Through Filming I Was Bedridden For Three Months After It Due To A Relapse. We Do Not Have Money But I Stick To What I Say That We Are More Rich Than Many. Being Ill Has Taught Me And My Family That Life Is Too Short To Be Overly Stressed Or False And So I Showed Myself Good Bad And Ugly Without Worrying What Others Thought Of Me. I Am A Kind Person And Have Practised Spiritual Practise All My Life And This Only Makes Me Wish To Help Others. I Am About To Launch My Own Partyplan Doing This And Even Though My Health Will Suffer If I Can Help One Person Overcome Obstacles With More Positivty Then I Am Doing What My Heart Tells Me. The Lady At The Cream Tea Yes She Did Upset Me As She Was Completely Bloody False And When She Offended My Son I Actually Was Very Relaxed In My Usual Personality When Someone Upsets My Child. Theo And Clemmy Were Gorgeous And I Could Not Help But Want Them Under My Wing They Kind Of Compensated For The Two I Had Left At Home And Made Five Children Be The Normal. A Lot Of Behind Scenes Things Were Quite Different But Overall I Loved The Whole Experience And Have Stayed Friends With The Tv Crew And Many On Sark. This Place Was Beautiful And Even If At First I Felt We Had To Be Snobby To Be Accepted The Most Heartwarming Thing Was When The Locals Welcomed Us And We Shared Many Fun Times With Them All. This Showed Us That Even Without High Class Living They Saw Through That To Our Hearts.....cheers To You All From Australia.....ps If Anyone Can Give Me Details Of Papers Or Magazines Over There I Would Appreciate It As I Am Making A Memory Box Of All Articles....
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Holiday Showdown Dolores 9 1,471 10-02-2006 09:34 AM
Last Post: Bella
  Celeb Holiday Reps Bonsai 41 3,815 03-10-2005 11:21 AM
Last Post: MariaRob
  SPOILER - Trust Me I'm a Holiday Rep' - SPOILER Minklemar 11 2,509 24-09-2005 04:19 PM
Last Post: Bonsai
  Holiday Showdown MariaRob 3 998 09-06-2005 07:31 PM
Last Post: Pandora