Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holiday Timing
10-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Holiday Timing

Does anyone who where i stand on this ?

We are a small company with two Partners who have a PA each (me being one of them). The PA's arent allowed to take holiday at the same time - which is fine.

The job we do is a two person role, and when one of us is away we suffer ..... hugely. Beacuse of the amount of work, and the fact the Partners need to share us, we cant always get everything done.

The Partners are now saying that, not only do we now have to not clash with one another - we HAVE TO clash with one of them so there is only one Partner and one PA in the office.

I really dont like this idea. The Partners tend to have all the school holidays off, and if i wanted a holiday when the kids are about i would of had some myself. I prefer the quieter times of the year.

Also - they tend to cram all their holiday into the summer season with a few days either side. So that means we will have to take the majority of our holiday during the school summer holidays - and then have months either side of it working.

So - can they do this ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Holiday Timing
I don't know about this issue legally, but it sounds like the partners are being a bit unfair in their expectations.

Have they considered getting a temp in when one of the PA's is on leave? A temp may not be able to cover all of the work of the absent PA, but they could probably relieve the burden enough so that the remaining one could take up the slack.
Find all posts by this user
10-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Holiday Timing
Figaro Wrote:Have they considered getting a temp in when one of the PA's is on leave?

Unfortunately they cant as we have to be checked out before joining as we are dealing we peoples money. A temp wouldnt be able to see our client files / databases.

BUT we have suggested they get a temp in for answering the phones and general filing, photocopying and post etc ... but they are so tight (even though they earn fortunes) they have said no.

10-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Holiday Timing
Bons, a lot will depend on what it says in your contract of employment re holidays and also if there is a clause allowing for changes like this.

Also in such a small firm, you have to weigh up the consequences of kicking up too much.

If you want to pm me, I can give you some advice.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
10-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Holiday Timing
I wont be kicking up a massive fuss as i do enjoy my job - i just wanted to know where we stood. I didnt know if they could enforce this.

It just seems unfair that we have to take our holidays (which are dearer when going abroad etc) during school holidays. I just want to say tongue in cheek if they will pay the extra money it will cost for us to go away then. I truly dont think they have thought it through as they are kiddie orientated.

Our contract doesnt state when we can take holiday - just that it has to be in the year, and that we have 20 days. If we want to take off longer than 2 weeks it needs to be agreed by them - and we have to get holidays forms signed by both managers normally.

Im sure they could add a clause to the contract if they wanted too.

10-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Holiday Timing
That does seem a little unfair as taking holidays during school term is a lot more expensive too. Although that said when my sister worked for NEC, the factory closed for 2 weeks in July so there were no options for their holidays either.

I know before I had kids and even before Katie was at school we always took our holidays before the school term - it was cheaper and it was a lot quieter.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
10-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Holiday Timing
Bons...are there any times when your work load as a company as a whole is reduced due to the time of year?

We have high and low season...there is seven on a watch and three grades within that. In the low season two people of the same grade can be on leave at once in the high a maximum of two people of different grades can be off but not when the shift lands on a weekend then it's only one on leave!

I'm just wondering if you can reach a compromise with your bosses on this front.

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
12-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Holiday Timing
Technically, they can only ask nicely if you agree to do this.

If you don't, then it is a relationship issue with the bosses and can be managed if you speak openly and honestly.

Your compensation should reflect if you have restrictions on your vacation. Free market, if you can get the same job, same salary elsewhere without the restrictions, theoretically you would.

All jobs are a package, good things, bad things, and just has to be weighed up that way.

Question: Would you have accepted the job if this restriction were made clear to you at outset? I realise its not quite the same, but if you left, I bet they would be explaining this to the next person so a replacement might seem less "troublesome" to them - just a thought.

I would accept with due enthusiasm while expanding on my understanding and agreement on the logic, then choose my moment to express the level of personal inconvenience and cost (which of course would be expressed as unimportant Big Picture in my viewpoint, just for the brownie points), then leave them to decide among them selves "Bonsai was so understanding and supportive, lets sweeten things...". Lose the battle, win the war.

And if they don't appreciate, hit the wanted ads!
18-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Holiday Timing
Bonsai Wrote:I wont be kicking up a massive fuss as i do enjoy my job - i just wanted to know where we stood. I didnt know if they could enforce this.

It just seems unfair that we have to take our holidays (which are dearer when going abroad etc) during school holidays. I just want to say tongue in cheek if they will pay the extra money it will cost for us to go away then. I truly dont think they have thought it through as they are kiddie orientated.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
Hello Bonsai, unless your original contract of employment states that some of your holidays are fixed, your employer can not order you to take your holidays at a specified time of year.This is assuming that at your original interview you had been informed that the firm has fixed holidays and that you have agreed to them.
[/COLOR]
Our contract doesnt state when we can take holiday - just that it has to be in the year, and that we have 20 days. If we want to take off longer than 2 weeks it needs to be agreed by them - and we have to get holidays forms signed by both managers normally.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Your employer may ask you to consider taking your holidays at the same time, but you are not obliged to take them up on it.
[/COLOR]

Im sure they could add a clause to the contract if they wanted too.

Small firms are always struggling to manage, and holidays do pose serious problems as finding enough experienced cover for absent members is a worry.
I think and these are my thoughts on the matter, I'd be tempted to go for a compromise as a temporary solution until you can sit down with your employers and ask what exactly they want to renegotiate. If you are not happy with the renegotiation changes, you should say so and at that stage seek professional help, to discuss your options.

The compromise would be to take one third of your holiday entitlement in the summer and try to fit it in with the partner you represent. The remainder of your holidays could be taken at a time to suit you.

In Newcastle we have x amount of small firms of accountants who actually close for two weeks in the summer, I have also seen small haridressing firms close in the summer for holidays. There are still large manufacturing and industrial concerns which take fixed holidays and close for two weeks in the summer only to resume trade as normal afterwards.

Hope your issue resolves itself in due course.

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  do you feel you HAVE to take a two week holiday? Dolores 25 2,125 19-01-2006 06:47 PM
Last Post: Bonsai