Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holiday Travel advice
24-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Holiday Travel advice

My sister phoned me yesterday afternon to tell me that she had missed the ferry from plymouth to Roscoff despite setting off at 7am for a 3pm ferry.
There wasn't another ferry from plymouth till monday so they had to go to Portsmouth instead and pay more.

I'll be doing the same drive in a couple of weeks and we'd planed to set off at 4am for 12 noon ferry.

My dad suggested we drive down half way the night before and stay in a B&B but becasue I am working and won't get to theirs till 6ish I don't reckon we'll get to far down south and if the traffic is terrible around Birmingham then even if we did stay further down we'd still have to rise very early to avoid this.

So does anyone living near the Birmingham and Bristol areas know what times the motorway is best avoided.
I think we are going to avoid the M6 and take the M1 and then M42 and M5 even though all the internet direction sites estimate this takes longer locals here have been telling me the M6 is worse.

I know yesterday was the first day of the school hols so probaby made a big difference but I'm really nevous about missing the ferry and short of leaving at midnight I don't know what else to do for the best.

Anyone know any alternative routes to avid the traffic hot spots

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Holiday Travel advice
Bob I don't know if this will help but I read this yesterday about the M1 on the BBC website
24-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Holiday Travel advice
Thanks Ils, that may be one to avoid

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
24-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Holiday Travel advice
Bob - you should miss it if you go off on the A42 for the M42. I'd be inclined to agree with you that M1, M42, M5 would be best, but again, it can be so unpredictable on the motorways...

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
24-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Holiday Travel advice
Bob, I really wanted to invite you to stay here for the night (5 miles from the ferry port) but my wife is a serious contender for the Antisocial Person of the Year Award 2005 and blew a gasket at the thought. Sorry.

However, if it'll help any I'd be happy to find you the best B&B deal in the city. I know it's not your favourite option, but if it comes down to that I'll do the Yellow Pages shuffle for you.
24-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Holiday Travel advice
Aww Dab what a sweetie :wink_kiss
Thanks honey but I don't blame Mrs Dab and I will be with my parents Rolleyes
Thing is I don't think we are even going to be able to make it down south at a reasonable hour anyway as I'm working and will be going straight from work to my parents, I won't get there till 6 and we'd have to set off practically straight away we wouldn't get to plymouth till after midnight and I couldn't cope with working a full day and then driving all that way without a sleep.

All the direction sites reckon on a 5 and half hour drive at the most. We have to be there for 11 and I'm allowing 7 hours and plan on two stops, but if I know my mum it will be more Rolleyes
think we are just going to have to leave earlier than 4 and hope that I can manage to get to bed early the night before

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone flying out on holiday? Fee For All 2 1,015 03-08-2007 03:57 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  ebay selling advice please survivorfan 10 4,798 13-11-2006 02:58 PM
Last Post: survivorfan
  Friend p*ssed off at me - advice please. PJ 18 2,525 26-09-2006 11:10 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Dog Advice Andrea 20 3,368 01-09-2006 08:39 AM