Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeopathy
05-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Homeopathy

What are your views on this? Does it work? Have you tried any remedies? Did they work for you or is it just a load of old b*ll****?

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Homeopathy
Oph and I have taken to using Chinese medicine quite often now. As far as I can tell it works far far quicker than the over the counter stuff from Boots etc. It does cost more but if you think that prescriptions are subsidised and you don't have to faff with the Drs for half a day then I'd say it's worth it
Find all posts by this user
06-09-2005, 02:27 AM
Homeopathy
Slipper Wrote:Oph and I have taken to using Chinese medicine quite often now. As far as I can tell it works far far quicker than the over the counter stuff from Boots etc. It does cost more but if you think that prescriptions are subsidised and you don't have to faff with the Drs for half a day then I'd say it's worth it

I wouldnt know a great deal about homeopathy or chinese medicine. I did attend a homeopath when I was initially diagnosed with crohns and experiencing an abdominal obstruction. They gave me a remedy and shortly after I had major surgery! I actually think that the remedy they prescribed was quite potent, too potent for me at the time but all it did was speed up the process that was already taking place. However, I havent returned since.

Chinese medicine I equate with traditional acupuncture and herbs and potions. I attended a chinese medical clinic for 2 years and it was utterly fantastic. When I was quite poorly, all sorts of treatments were involved and when I was incapacitated, the doctors would cook soup for me and deliver it to my house. So, treatments plus bedside manner were excellent. I think also, I had complete trust in the doctors competency, with language as a barrier, but they were very good.

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
06-09-2005, 05:32 AM
Homeopathy
I took to visiting a homeopath for a while, she gave me a cocktail of remedies:
  • one to help monthly period cramps [didn't work]
  • one to stop me being eaten alive by mozzies just before my period [didn't work]
  • another for something else [didn't work -on the grounds I can't remember]
  • and a further just in case.

Another 'alternative' medicine I tried was reflexology - and that literally killed me dead. So I am sticking to kitchen remedies [you know honey & lemon for a cold, garlic down your pants, that sort of thing] and then the real NHS docs if really necessary.

Having said that I don't think it is bull, it is obvious that helps loads of people - but loads of people are able to be hypnotised - I am not and homeopathic reemedies don't work on me either.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

06-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Homeopathy
If anyone reads the excellent The Week magazine (a gathering of all the best worlds newspaper articles, weekly). They publish the Lancet study on this subject and then the subsequent articles that it spawned. Exhaustive research at a high level has, as it always does, revealed that Homeopathy is next to hopeless and generally works on the power of suggestion and little else. I do not know what more anyone would want on this subject as it has been tested to death. I guess it is like smoking in that there are still those who say it is not harmful etc..

So all you numpties with your bach flower remedies have been well and truly c o n n e d :shocking:

Read the report, I urge you.

**I heart Northern Soul**
06-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Homeopathy
I agree. Homeopathy (as distinct from any other alternative medicine) is based on psuedo-scientific claptrap and the power of the placebo.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
06-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Homeopathy
I don't really take a lot of medicines and hate anti-biotics as the ladies among us will know what effect taking them has!!

I understand what you are saying IOW, and yes maybe as per this report these medicines are all in the mind but at least they don't have the side effects that over the counter medicines have.

I have tried a homeopathic remedy for hayfever and to me it worked just as well as the steriod option. Maybe it was in the mind, maybe it really did work who knows, but what I do know is that my body was not pumped full of steriods. My mum is on various tablets for her blood pressure etc and some of them she has to take to counteract the effect of other ones she has taken - surely all those drugs legal or not are not good for you.

My friend's little girl has really bad ezcema and since going down the homeopathic route, it has cleared up greatly.

I agree it can be costly although I know that up in Scotland doctors are going to be allowed to offer a homeopathic alternative, is this happening down South too?

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
06-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Homeopathy
Blink Wrote:I agree. Homeopathy (as distinct from any other alternative medicine) is based on psuedo-scientific claptrap and the power of the placebo.
But if the placebo works???

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
06-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Homeopathy
tonee Wrote:But if the placebo works???

Then don't lie and say otherwise - or create and industry around it fleecing millions of gullible people

**I heart Northern Soul**
06-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Homeopathy
IsLe Of WeAtHeR Wrote:If anyone reads the excellent The Week magazine (a gathering of all the best worlds newspaper articles, weekly). They publish the Lancet study on this subject and then the subsequent articles that it spawned. Exhaustive research at a high level has, as it always does, revealed that Homeopathy is next to hopeless and generally works on the power of suggestion and little else.
IOW here's a rebuttal (of sorts) of the Lancet article:

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/alternat...meopat.htm

Flip Wrote:I am sticking to kitchen remedies [you know honey & lemon for a cold, garlic down your pants]
Flip I'd love to know what garlic down the pants is good for (except as a contraceptive perhaps? Wink )

Blink Wrote:Homeopathy (as distinct from any other alternative medicine) is based on psuedo-scientific claptrap and the power of the placebo.
Certainly there's no known science to back up homeopathy, and it's hard to imagine how it could work... Mrs Mik is a big believer in homeopathy and uses it a lot. I'm more sceptical. It seems to me that sometimes it appears to work, and sometimes it appears to fail. Possibly when it works it's either through the placebo effect (although that's not wholly to be knocked - a "placebo effect" cure is still a cure) or it's just the body fighting the problem naturally. Possibly when it fails it's a question of the wrong substance being used, lack of consultation with the doctor, etc. Who knows.

Mrs Mik is also fairly keen on Chinese medicine (unsurprisingly as that's what she was largely brought up to.) However you have to be a little careful with it - there have been lots of cases of supposedly herbal medicines being adulterated with powerful drugs (eg skin creams containing steroids).

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php