Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homepage hi-jack
18-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Homepage hi-jack

I've already mentioned this in the hotmail thread in this forum but thought it was worth a mention here too.

My homepage is normally Google but over the last couple of days it keeps being replaced by a browser whose address line is 'about blank'. I keep changing it back to Google and it stays for a while but then gets replaced again.

As I said in the Hotmail thread, it is also appearing every time I try to retrieve my email messages on my hotmail acoount.

Queeenie very kindly gave me a link to a help site but as yet I haven't been given any.

If any technical wizard out there has got any ideas I'd be eternally gratefully cos it's really bugging me now! :angry:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Homepage hi-jack
Max, I have found this article on 'browser hijacking' which contains some tips, it might be of help.

here

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
18-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Homepage hi-jack
Thanks SF. I'll take a look.
18-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Homepage hi-jack
"Browser Helper Objects" cause this kind of problem. The first thing you should do is ditch Internet Explorer as soon as you can, in favour of a more secure browser like >Firefox< (fancy and full-featured) or >K-Meleon< (virtually impregnable and very fast).

To protect against these problems (if you insist on running IE), get >BHODemon<.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
18-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Homepage hi-jack
I ditched IE ages ago, it is a bug riddled pain in the butt to be honest. I use Slimbrowser now, and once you get used to it it's brilliant. For a slow server I also have Firefox installed, it's basic, but fast!

I've tried a few browsers, but those two I have kept, they work just great for me.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
Find all posts by this user
18-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Homepage hi-jack
Thanks guys. I'm adding all these things to my favourites so Mr M can sort it out.
18-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Homepage hi-jack
Yet another reason why I love you lot - you talk so intelligently and discuss things that I have no conception of, I am amazed that you all know so much about computers - I know absolutely nothing and am happy to remain in ignorant bliss.

But I make a fine potato dauphinoise! :wink2:
18-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Homepage hi-jack
Eternity Wrote:I ditched IE ages ago, it is a bug riddled pain in the butt to be honest. I use Slimbrowser now, and once you get used to it it's brilliant. For a slow server I also have Firefox installed, it's basic, but fast!

I've tried a few browsers, but those two I have kept, they work just great for me.

Can I ask, if you use FireFox, can you still keep IE intact? Two different browsers on the same machine don't conflict with each other do they?
And also I heard that Firefox can't handle some bank websites so I would need to keep IE or another browser handy.
I'm just asking because I've been wondering about using the Firefox browser for a while now.
18-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Homepage hi-jack
Yes Andrea, you can keep them both installed, no problem.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
18-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Homepage hi-jack
thanks Blink.

I'm getting broadband next week so I may download Firefox and give it a go.