Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horses.
16-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Horses.

I have a question regarding the aforementioned beautiful beast.

When I go on my run there is a lovely friendly horse in a field, all alone though the field has a walk through so it sees company throughout the day and has a lot of petting. This morning as I ran thru this field about 7.30 it occured to me that it had been out there all night on its own with no shelter.

Is this normal...is it Milkemar who owns horses??? What would happen if it rained and stormed all night - do you go and get it or what.

This has been worrying me today. It's always there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Horses.
It's not unusual Cat....in fact quite a lot of horses stay out quite happily all the time. When the weather gets a bit colder and stuff they should at least have a rug (a kind of wax jacket for horses is worn on top of a blankety one if there's a risk of rain).....the main thing to look out for is if it starts to look underweight or it's coat appears particularly unkempt.

Generally speaking though he/she is probably fine provided the owner is checking on him a couple of times a day.

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
16-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Horses.
The horse is lovely and very healthy looking. It just struck me as sad this morning....dont' they like company - should I throw in a donkey or a goat or something?
16-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Horses.
Some horse don't like to much company....some prefer humans to their own kind...although this is rare....throwing a donkey over the fence might help in one respect but what often happens is that the horse then refuses to go anywhere without the donkey.....oh the problems that can cause!

Is this horse male or female? If male does he still have his balls intact (you can't miss them) if he has this would explain why he is on his own as Stallions tend to be a bit of a handful and fight allot when with other horses!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
16-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Horses.
I wouldnt worry Cat. I live almost on top of the 'Suffolk Punch' horses, and they stay outside in all weather. I think they get quite hardy. Im sure babies wouldnt be left outside if it was cold.

I love horses, and i often used to take a bag of old carrots to the horses (about once a week) and give them a treat. It used to get so i would walk near them, and they would all walk over for a bit of fuss and some food.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
16-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Horses.
Cat Wrote:is it Milkemar who owns horses???

That would be Marmoset.
When i had a horse (Merlin) it did have a shelter that he had open access to day and night.
But nine times out of ten he just stayed in the field whatever the weather.
I am sure that your regular contact with this horse is much appreciated anyway.

[INDENT]

[/INDENT]
Find all posts by this user
16-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Horses.
Take him a carrot Cat.....a whole one and let him bite it off in chunks...! :wink_kiss

Or if you really want to be his freind....a couple of Polo's will make his day! :wink2:

16-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Horses.
Cat Wrote:The horse is lovely and very healthy looking. It just struck me as sad this morning....dont' they like company - should I throw in a donkey or a goat or something?

no!

I have visions of you tossing goats and donkeys over the hedge now cat!!! :kid:

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
16-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Horses.
Dolores Wrote:no!

I have visions of you tossing goats and donkeys over the hedge now cat!!! :kid:

It'll be like the French in 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' slinging cows and other farm animals over the castle walls! :laugh:

16-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Horses.
Mrs Lovely warm hearted animal lover :wub: - horses don't mind one bit being left out over night. Don't get me wrong, some love a good pampering in straw laden stables, but most like to stay out over night. If you think about it it is quite normal and natural for the horse breed to be out over night!

Think of the New Forest, Dartmouth or Exmoor ponies, they are permanently outside - it is their natural habitat. Most however do like company, all horses are pack animals and defer to leadership.

So please, my love, chuck a goat in if you feel the need, otherwise they will no doubt benefit from the wisdom of your heart and large gob!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]