Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do nerves affect you?
24-11-2004, 02:56 PM

And how do you overcome them?

As some of you know I'm currently job hunting and have had one interview and I've got another one on Friday. I get terribly nervous which is probably quite normal but I tend to shake and it's so embarrassing. The more I think about it the more it happens. Last week the woman even said to me 'you seem very nervous' so I'm obviously not very good at masking it!

I've started taking a natural remedy which I think builds up over a couple of weeks so it's probably too late for Friday. Any other recommendations to help me relax?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2004, 03:03 PM
It sounds obvious Max, but remember to breathe and I mean real breaths not just little shallow ones which will deprive your blood stream of oxygen and make you even more jittery. In through the nose and out through the mouth, three or four of them should calm you enough to stop the shaking and it gives you something else to concentrate on Smile
24-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Ask your doctor to prescribe beta blockers for the interview.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
24-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks Voice, I'll give it a go.
24-11-2004, 03:19 PM
I tried to get an appointment but as usual there's a wait of about a week so they recommended the pharmacy and that's where I got these tablets. They're supposed to be particularly good for coping with the stress associatied with giving up smoking.
24-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Rescue Remedy is wicked at calming nerves and is natural too.

My Shark Website
[Image: Fin.gif]
____/\___\0/____
24-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Good luck with the interview Max.

Voice is right with the breathing technique ... have a few practices before the interview though, the last thing you want to do is hyper ventilate - which I did once and only set me to giggling !!

The natra-calms which you can get from the chemist are good (and so is a vodka and tonic!) and also the 'rescue remedy' a few drops on your tongue before you go in.

Have confidence in yourself, if you know you can do the job standing on your head pretend that that is what you are doing, pretend that you really don't want the job, anything that will make your brain be off on a tangent. The shakes only last a minute or so if you can get enough oxygen to the system... in through the nose ... slowly out through the mouth. (hope they don't call security with you hyper ventilating with a vacant expression !)

GOOD LUCK !!!

Some mornings it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the leather straps . [Image: badgersm.gif]
24-11-2004, 05:41 PM
maxine Wrote:How do nerves affect you?
They give me wind.

maxine Wrote:And how do you overcome them?
By farting.

You did ask.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
24-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Shark_Attacks Wrote:Rescue Remedy is wicked at calming nerves and is natural too.

Where can you buy this?
I suffer from shakes too maxine, so you have my sympathy. I get them when stressed too. I'm quite an outgoing person but currently I'm very quiet at work as I'm having a problem with a colleague, I know exactly what I would like to say and would love to stand up for myself , but don't trust myself not go bright red and shake so I sit in the corner and take it Blush but I guess that is a seperate issue. :sad:
Good luck with the interview Smile , I think if the signs of nervousness really are visable it dosn't harm to tell the interviewer that you are nervous, that way you said it first without wondering if they have noticed that you are trembling and might have a drink problem. :eek:

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
24-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Well I have an overwhelming desire to go to the loo - number twos!Blush

As I've said before Max, I'd rather have the shakes that the s****!! :laugh:

I find the following help me calm my nerves.

1. Go to the loo
2. Take immodium
3. Take Bachs Rescue Remedy (I swear by it)
4. Breathing in a measured way
5. Go to the loo again
6. Go for interview or whatever, with confidence to ask to use the loo if necessary - and yes I have done this on an interview and still got the job!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...