Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do people...?
07-12-2005, 10:00 AM
How do people...?

I was just reading something in the 'Avin a Laugh section:

Aondeag Wrote:So...does anyone know what sort of qualifications you need to be a binman?
Or do you just pick it up as you go along......?

:laugh:

and it got me thinking (I know, shocking isn't it?) about how people actually do become some certain things. The binman thing is a classic example. At what point in your life do you go, "Hey! I wanna be a guy who picks up other peoples trash for a living!" Or do you grow up, wanting to be a binman?

Another example is someone who works as one of those people who wrap your christmas presents at the shops. Is it voluntary work? Because my mother doesn't get paid to wrap presents now does she?

So if anyone knows how to get one of these jobs (or any other one similar) could you tell me because I wanna be a shoe-shiner...:shocking: Nah seriously now, can anybody think how people get these jobs and why they would want to? Feel free to add other ridiculous jobs into the fire:thumbsup: ...
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2005, 10:06 AM
How do people...?
JakeyBoy Wrote:At what point in your life do you go, "Hey! I wanna be a guy who picks up other peoples trash for a living!" Or do you grow up, wanting to be a binman?

Another example is someone who works as one of those people who wrap your christmas presents at the shops. Is it voluntary work? Because my mother doesn't get paid to wrap presents now does she? .

I doubt anyone wants to be a binman, but if you need the money, then you do what you can to earn it. And from what ive heard, binmen are VERY highly paid.

As for wrapping pressies, yeah of course they get paid. I doubt very much though.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2005, 10:09 AM
How do people...?
Bonsai Wrote:And from what ive heard, binmen are VERY highly paid.

Quite right. They have to put up loads of rubbish at work! :wink2:

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
07-12-2005, 10:10 AM
How do people...?
Groucho Wrote:Quite right. They have to put up loads of rubbish at work! :wink2:

Blimey - the old ones are the best eh Groucho :laugh: :wink_kiss

07-12-2005, 01:59 PM
How do people...?
How much are we talking here?
07-12-2005, 02:04 PM
How do people...?
It's good honest work...but I have no idea how much it pays.
And think how miserable everyone else would be if there were no binmen.
icky!
I would'nt fancy the work myself...but then again, I bet no binmen would fancy what I do.
So don't forget to leave a christmas card for your binman with a tenner in it!

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
Find all posts by this user
07-12-2005, 02:06 PM
How do people...?
Aondeag Wrote:So don't forget to leave a christmas card for your binman with a tenner in it!

God, do people actually do that Huh I have never given money to the binmen, postman or anyone come to that :wink2:

Tight a*se ... moi :laugh:

07-12-2005, 02:08 PM
How do people...?
Icky indeed. So from what I have gathered, nobody really wants to be a binman, it's just that they can't get any other job. Hmmm, I wonder why?... Maybe coz they have their hearts set on old bananna peels and dirty nappies perhaps...
07-12-2005, 02:15 PM
How do people...?
Binmen have it really easy now with these big, black muckle things on the street - all they do is drive along, hook the bin onto the truck, tip in the truck and drive off!! I would do that for ever how much they get paid!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
07-12-2005, 02:47 PM
How do people...?
I think it's all down to money. Binmen get paid a really good wage and as Bella points out, the job is much easier nowadays. In fact, if you don't wheel your bin right to the road, they are not obliged to walk a few yards a drag it

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The people of Survivor Online - The Curmudgeon's verdict. The Curmudgeon 115 7,973 29-05-2008 12:25 PM
Last Post: Gneiss
  Quick question for you good people.... Figaro 24 2,912 15-01-2007 04:12 PM
Last Post: Patsy
  SO News people - volunteers wanted Haydon_acc2 19 1,842 13-09-2006 10:53 PM
Last Post: Haydon_acc2
  people who are 'know it alls'... msgirl 13 1,442 05-04-2006 10:48 PM
Last Post: Andrea
  Why do people leave or stop posting on SO? Northern angel 125 5,482 22-02-2006 03:47 PM
Last Post: Aondeag
  Not Many People Know That. survivorfan 17 1,321 13-10-2005 07:11 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Sayings that people LOVE... Aondeag 16 1,806 31-08-2005 07:25 PM
Last Post: jaycee
  Having people to stay/ staying with people maxine 15 999 08-08-2005 08:37 AM
Last Post: Bonsai
  What Famous Person/People Have You Met? Patsy 31 2,182 11-05-2005 10:23 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Famous people you fancy - but think you probably shouldn't Voice of reason 154 6,128 14-03-2005 09:48 AM
Last Post: claire