Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you / would you discipline your kids?
13-12-2004, 02:14 PM

Im interested to know...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2004, 03:53 PM
With my children, depending on what they have done, they either get a talk with which we try to figure out why, what, how of the behaviour, or a stern talking to, or grounding from privileges, such as computer, gamecube, staying up later etc etc. It is all according to what they have done. Previously in their younger years we did spank some, but not a major amount. I tend to look at the severity of the situation and then figure out which approach suits.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-12-2004, 04:17 PM
How I displine my children has changed as they have got older. What is suitable punishment for a toddler is not suitable for a teenager. I think as they have got older removing their privileges has been the most effective. But what works for one child wont always work for another. I have found, grounding, removing their pc rights and confiscating their phones works the best for my teenagers.
13-12-2004, 04:21 PM
I find the threat of witholding pocket money is an incentive to behave. But I also like to reward good behaviour.
13-12-2004, 05:19 PM
maxine Wrote:I find the threat of witholding pocket money is an incentive to behave. But I also like to reward good behaviour.

Definitely Maxine, I try to always reward my kids for their good behaviour. It really goes a long way.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
13-12-2004, 05:19 PM
maxine Wrote:I find the threat of witholding pocket money is an incentive to behave. But I also like to reward good behaviour.

I agree with that maxine. I withhold playstations, tv etc for bad behaviour.

I tend not to reward genral good behaviour as I expect that to a certain degree. But if they have been really well behaved in a say boring shopping trip or the like, they get rewarded for that.
Find all posts by this user
13-12-2004, 05:29 PM
maxine Wrote:I also like to reward good behaviour.

I agree this is very important !
13-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Bad language and violence usually works in my house! :blink: :laugh:

Seriously, my son is generally quite well behaved, but if he is naughty I usually shout at him and then make him either go upstairs in his bedroom (he's too young to think that's a good thing!) or if I'm really really mad I make him write out 100 lines of whatever he's done wrong. ie: I must not be rude to my mum. By the time he's written those lines down we've both calmed down and are ready to start a fresh fight!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
13-12-2004, 06:10 PM
you make him write lines ?????????? ala bart simpson I hope ... geez whatever happened to good old clack round the head/leags/arms whichever was available as they were running from the chainsaw!

Some mornings it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the leather straps . [Image: badgersm.gif]
13-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Mashed Wrote:you make him write lines ?????????? ala bart simpson I hope ... geez whatever happened to good old clack round the head/leags/arms whichever was available as they were running from the chainsaw!
Have you tried keepingup with a 10 year old?! It ends up me being punished not him!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kids and their Summer Hols. bridge 28 2,248 03-08-2006 09:30 PM
Last Post: Fee For All
  Funny things kids say Critique 50 2,968 13-05-2005 10:51 PM
Last Post: Marmoset
  Kids Stuff Coastie 19 1,585 16-02-2005 09:48 AM
Last Post: Woodstock
  Passive smioke dulls kids claire 22 1,770 05-01-2005 08:34 PM
Last Post: Cockney