Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many times....
22-07-2005, 11:47 PM
How many times....

Have you written something in a post then deleted it before you post it?

I was about to write something in a thread (not a serious one, just a silly remark) and then thought twice about how it can come across, so I deleted it.
It really only was a funny comment (well I thought so) but then on reading it again, I thought of other ways it could be interpreted.

I was talking to hubby earlier about how people are perceived on a forum like this, and he mentioned about how different it is to talking face to face.
On this forum I find certain peoples sense of humour really funny, but when I reply I'm not sure if people realise my sense of humour (I'm not very good at expressing myself and i'm sure the way I word things could be construed in a totally different way) and I must say I back off a little bit, not because I'm hiding myself, but because I don't want to upset anyone.

I know we've had threads like this before, but more on a serious side of things.
This is more of a case of, can you get you sense of humour across on a forum?
I know I see others sense of humour and some of you lot make me laugh hilariously. (no I'm not naming names)

I guess it's all in the way you post things.
I'm rubbish at explaining myself in real life as in here, hence the long post for a minor point of view:w00t:

[Image: 429.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2005, 12:26 AM
How many times....
I'm very similar...and I also must say I do not submit a lot of posts that I start. Sometimes things sound so much better in your head...then when you write it out you wonder if it makes sense at all...lol.

And I always wonder if people are going to even get that what I said was a joke...which is why nearly all my posts and chats online with people have "lol" in them after nearly every sentence..lol...

But I think if you go with your first thought of a response...I think the humor usually comes across...but I tend to second guess and then try to change it to make more sense and hten it loses it's humor....which leads me not to post it....

In other words...i think sometimes I hit and sometimes i miss badly. lol.
23-07-2005, 12:36 AM
How many times....
Yes, I made an interesting discovery today by becoming a sponsor and seeing who delivered reputation. Taken aback because people dont come across the way that they appear on the forum (the other side of the coin).

I have found that people have taken my comments definitely not the way I intended and it does put pressure (albeit lightly) to either not make a comment or be totally pc. That is a shame.The pc world is a bit dull for me.

I figure that the people I want to know are the people who have a high degree of tolerance, humour, warmth and the people who dont immediately jump to thinking the negative or the worst. Most people, in my experience, do not mean to intentionally write anything disrespectful or offensive.

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
Find all posts by this user
23-07-2005, 08:18 AM
How many times....
.................. yes. :kid:
23-07-2005, 08:26 AM
How many times....
yeh I quite often starting typing out a reply then either think it's too banal (yes, I really have some EVEN more banal thoughts than the tripe I post!), too contentious, not what I really think (replying for the sake of it) or maybe i just can be bothered to follow my orignal thought that made me reply through to a meaningful conclusion.

... and sometimes (as in life) I forget what my point was !!!!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
23-07-2005, 09:00 AM
How many times....
I can identify with this "second-guessing" or even withdrawing your remark completely on consideration - probably only about half the posts I start actually end up getting posted.

But then, reading many forums, you do realise that far too many people don't even bother to consider what they've said either in terms of its relevance or how it may actually come across to others: I think I'd rather be in the former category.

Forums vary from real life in that you have no body language or intonation to reinforce the sense of what you're saying so you do have to make your meaning clear: Conversely, and to its advantage, you get the chance to preview and consider what you're saying in a way that would be quite useful in real life (for those of us with terminal foot-in-mouth disease).

Post in haste, repent at leisure - or in my case, post when pi**ed and wonder what the hell you were talking about for ever more :wine:
23-07-2005, 09:07 AM
How many times....
Blimey, yes, loads of times. I was talking to someone about this recently. Sometimes when you say something on here, it is not taken the way it would be if the same thing was said face to face. Also, not many people on here actually know each other, so can never really know the intent behind a quip or remark. PMs are obviously a way of delving deeper if we're not sure, but it's all too easy to make a snap, and often, wrong judgement. I'm sure we've all been there.

Being able to see someone's expression and body language makes a whole lot of difference.
23-07-2005, 02:50 PM
How many times....
All the time!
23-07-2005, 03:39 PM
How many times....
Andrea Wrote:but because I don't want to upset anyone.

Go on Andrea...just occasionally.

You never know, you might just enjoy it! :ohmy:

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
23-07-2005, 04:32 PM
How many times....
I do it all the time... in fact probably more than half of my posts don't go out. I either type loads and then think "who cares!?" and not type it... or wonder if people will get me, and if they do get me, then will they get me how I intend to be got?

Smilies definitely help!! It's certainly the best way to show that what you've said is a joke!!

I have stopped posting whilst drunk recently, because my most offensive, not thought about, horrible, regrettable posts come out when I'm drunk (as with normal real life speech, i suppose)

Anyway, hope this makes sense!!

There are three types of mathmatician:
Those who can count and those who can't!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Rare auld times...Dublin sing songs! Aondeag 64 3,020 20-10-2005 03:03 PM
Last Post: Aondeag
  How many times have you fallen in love? Nox 18 957 10-03-2005 09:49 PM
Last Post: Isis
  I've told you 1000 times!! claire 17 1,478 11-01-2005 10:48 PM
Last Post: Flyo