Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much is your pet worth
05-08-2007, 04:07 PM

In the last three weeks my brothers 6 year old cat has cost them the best part of £900. Plus they have found out he is diabetic so will need regular insulin jabs twice a day for the rest of his life and live on a maintained diet.
Don't get me wrong he is a member of the family and we all love him dearly but where do you draw the line?
Is it a case of whatever it takes or I just can't afford it?

Touchwood our cat just costs us £45 a year on her annual jabs which we wouldn`t really bother with but she has to have them for the cattery.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2007, 07:12 PM
I've always insured my pets because I'd feel guilty if cost were the decider in providing them with treatment.

I did have the option of chemo for my last cat, which would have been covered on insurance. However it would only have extended her life by about 6 months, so I felt the kinder option (which the vet agreed with, having given me time to make up my mind) was to have her euthanised.

The chemo was based on the same drugs that some human cancer patients have to beg for via NHS, so there was something not right that these are readily available for pets at the drop of a hat, and some cash!

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Sid has cost me £100 thus far...Milo £24 - many have said 'But their rats...you could buy loads of rats for that amount of money...but to know my boys is to love my boys so IMHO it was money well spent and I would do it again:wub:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2007, 09:25 AM
10 years ago my cat Bonsai twisted her spine. The vets were baffled as to what happened. I literally went to the vets every night for about a fortnight with the cat, although luckily i wasnt charged for the visits. The vet was actually quite excited, and wanted to write a paper about the case. He would even call me at night (much to the suspicion of hubby as he was quite cute) asking me questions and checking Bonsai was OK.

I was told she had to go to Cambridge, as they were the main animal testing place (i know there is a technical term, but i cant think of it). The cost would be £1,500. I would of paid it. I would of begged, stealed or borrowed to pay it. There was never any question.

As it happened, she was laying on the floor, and Benji jumped off the sofa straight onto her back. She meowed in pain, got up .... and has been right as rain ever since. The vet was most dissapointed.

I havent got the cats insured, but with the dogs, the day i got them i purchased the best insurance i could.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2007, 03:01 PM
We dont have any pets any longer, but when we had cats, they were worth more that £1 each.

We had fish as well for a while, but I wouldn't give you 5p for any of them!

In-laws have a sausage dog.

I would value a packet of chipolatas more highly.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
06-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Groucho Wrote:We had fish as well for a while, but I wouldn't give you 5p for any of them!

Yeah but - nobody rates fish Grouch Smile

[SIZE=3]

[/url]
[/SIZE]
06-08-2007, 08:49 PM
That's what they all say until their fingers stink!:glare:

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
07-08-2007, 04:02 AM
Fee For All Wrote:Yeah but - nobody rates fish Grouch Smile

We have fish which includes 2 big angels and they are lovely and get excited when you walk into the room. I will be sorry to lose them
07-08-2007, 07:47 AM
...but big blue Grouch is no angel, SB !

[SIZE=3]

[/url]
[/SIZE]
08-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Ma and Pa spent 7.5k on their retriever last year, thankfully she was insured so they claimed 4k back, she had gallbladder disease and is on human medication which costs them £70 a month, but again, some of it gets claimed back...the money was never an issue though.....

They also spent about 5k on the poodle some years ago trying to find out what was causing her fits at the Royal Vetinary (sp?) College.......she is now on meds which cost about £60 a month.....

My own little pooch cost me £50.00 on saturday for his booster and to be chipped - it was cheaper to have him chipped than the booster injection!!! It cost me about the same last year, when he had his booster and treatment for fox mange.....niiiiiice!!!!!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Amazon - Is it worth it? littlemissbig 21 1,862 09-01-2007 12:52 AM
Last Post: Groucho