Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How ready are you for Christmas?
14-11-2006, 04:52 PM

Another year almost gone.

I never know whether to be glad its coming to a close or whether to rejoice, eat drink and be totally merry. I never enjoyed the damp, the cold, the early morning fog and frosts, snow if it lies can be quite pleasant. But the fact that there seems to be hardly any hours daylight is a humdinger.

Given the above and by contrast to it, I do like the warmth of feelings expressed at this time of year one for the other and I love buying the presents and passing them on.

But there is something very special for me around this time to and that is all the practice with the various music groups and the raising of funds for charity, it is something I have always done and do enjoy.

I am already half organised with regards to the wrapping of gifts for the old folks in two homes and the childrens wards gifts are also wrapped and ready. I have still got lots to do, so unless I come down with some dreaded lurgy, I'm looking forward to seeing all those lovely unexpected smiles and laughter lines.

So how are your christmas plans looking? Have you made the christmas cake and puddings yet? I'm doing mine this weekend. Is the shopping done yet or have you yet to start?

I hate last minute rushes so if you are one of those who does the shopping in the last week, god bless you and good luck.

MAUREEN
NORTHERN ANGEL

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Northern angel Wrote:Given the above and by contrast to it, I do like the warmth of feelings expressed at this time of year one for the other and I love buying the presents and passing them on.

I like this aspect of it too, NA. I don't care if people are only nice to each other for two weeks of the year ... at least it's better than nothing. Being of a hypocritical, two faced nature it comes quite easily to me to wish someone merry christmas in the lead up to Christmas and then wish them dead first thing in the new year!!! :devil:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2006, 06:43 PM
I am completely prepared for Xmas this year.

Last year i had a minor panic, and i really run up the credit card bill. This year i decided to pace myself. I bought my first pressie in Sept !!

I have bought all presents now, but i still need a few stocking fillers for my parents.

I dont get paid in Dec until after Christmas, so Novembers money is for food and drink. The few pay days before that is for presents.

I adore christmas. I love the fact that everyone is smiling and happy. I adore Christmas Day with my parents and Auntie who comes down from Derbyshire for the holidays. I cant wait.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
15-11-2006, 11:59 AM
must admit to being an auld softie / romantic / sucker for christmas - love it to bits, but am never really organised.

Every year I promise myself I'll get it together and not have a stressy time, but I think part of me loves the rush of the rush, if you know whaddImean.........

Had chat with family last night [first of many 'lets go to the pub and organise christmas' outings :thumbsup:] and have at least decided on menu:

starters: melon balls, prawn cocktail or smoked salmon with brown bread
(there's ten of us and we all like different starters]
All easy peasy and 'makeable upable' prior to sitting.

main: Am being clever / lazy this year and am cooking the turkey and ham the day before, leaving them to rest overnight and carving them early next morning. Then lashing the meat into two roasting tins and covering in gravy for the turkey and white sauce for the ham and then gently warmed. Easy to serve up and then only the veggies & spuds to worry about......

dessert: making two booze laden trifles on christmas eve while bird is cooking, am buying a black forest gateaux and have a pressie of home-made christmas pud.... - sorted.

Ah Jaysus, I'm starving now....:laugh:

bam bam
15-11-2006, 12:11 PM
I like to have all the presents wrapped and the cards written and all the freezer and snack things in by the end of November. I work 12/14 hour days throughout December so don`t have much time for shopping.
The decs take us 2-3 days to put up, with us both working and any free time after that is spent food shopping up sitting with feet up and a glass of wine.
November and December are the best 2 months of the year. I love the run up to christmas and watching all the decs go up in the houses. Tis a magical time of year.
I cook for 5 people on christmas day and 12 on boxing day with all the trimmings. The 27th we are usually just back to it being Mr Breeze , myself and the cat and then for the next few days after that I put my feet up and there`s no need to cook as we just live on the left overs
15-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Seabreeze Wrote:there`s no need to cook as we just live on the left overs

I think left overs are the best bit. I love turkey, chips and peas ..... and turkey sandwiches with pickle ..... and turkey with bubble and squeak.

Wonderful :laugh:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
15-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Tigereye Wrote:must admit to being an auld softie / romantic / sucker for christmas - love it to bits, but am never really organised.

Every year I promise myself I'll get it together and not have a stressy time, but I think part of me loves the rush of the rush, if you know whaddImean.........

Had chat with family last night [first of many 'lets go to the pub and organise christmas' outings :thumbsup:] and have at least decided on menu:

starters: melon balls, prawn cocktail or smoked salmon with brown bread
(there's fifteen of us of us cos we have invited the Buzzes over this year and we all like different starters]
All easy peasy and 'makeable upable' prior to sitting.

main: Am being clever / lazy this year and am cooking the turkey and ham the day before, leaving them to rest overnight and carving them early next morning. Then lashing the meat into two roasting tins and covering in gravy for the turkey and white sauce for the ham and then gently warmed. Easy to serve up and then only the veggies & spuds to worry about......

dessert: making two booze laden trifles on christmas eve while bird is cooking, am buying a black forest gateaux and have a pressie of home-made christmas pud.... - sorted.

Ah Jaysus, I'm starving now....:laugh:
Tigereye, that is so kind of you....:wink2:
15-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Buzz Wrote:Tigereye, that is so kind of you....:wink2:

You're more than welcome. Anyone else?

[as t.eye books xmas flight to bermuda....

bam bam
15-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Ooo I'm cooking up a feast tonight, what a shame I rather fancy the sound of the pub instead.

The decorations are starting to appear in front windows now so the street in a few weeks time will be all twinkling and sparkly with lovely lights and decorations. The shops have theres now and Fenwicks store has its childrens christmas windows in now with Gullivers travels. All very exciting.

Its great hearing how organised everybody is this season as every now and then you can have a bad one, but being early means things do run that bit smoother.

MAUREEN
NORTHERN

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
16-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Am I the only one who gets a sick, dread feeling in the pit of my stomach at the thought of Christmas? I think it's probably age related because I've only recently started to feel like this Sad

I haven't bought so much as a Christmas Card yet! Just can't get into Christmas mode.

We're going back to Wales the last week of November to help sort out some more of my deceased bruv-in-law's stuff. By the time we get back it will be 2nd December and then I'll have to get a move on.

I only have to cook Christmas lunch for 4 (me, hubby, son and eldest grandson) but I still get into a state trying to get everything done at the same time and even though I usually do the turkey the night before I still never seem to have enough shelves in the oven Sad

I've got 11 Grandchildren to buy for ranging from age 11 months up to 20 yrs(not all blood related but all treated the same). I think it will have to be a small "tree pressie" to unwrap and money to get what they want after Christmas.Blush

I'm hyperventilating just thinking about it all :surrender:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Happy Christmas Saedhb 4 1,694 24-12-2009 02:23 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Christmas cupcakes jeryruse 2 1,269 17-12-2009 05:44 PM
Last Post: Mars
  Christmas spinach filo torte jeryruse 1 1,241 17-12-2009 12:59 PM
Last Post: jeryruse
  Tired of Christmas yet? karenh 8 2,019 28-12-2008 10:45 AM
Last Post: Buzz
  Merry Christmas Bonsai 8 1,989 27-12-2008 04:48 PM
Last Post: Seabreeze
  Christmas Parties Slipper 18 3,319 12-12-2008 01:45 PM
Last Post: Slipper
  A Christmas wish for you all! ~ils~ 11 2,776 02-01-2008 07:23 PM
Last Post: Tigereye
  The Christmas Rat Rob 1 1,319 11-12-2007 07:16 PM
  Is Everyone Ready? Seabreeze 23 2,524 02-12-2007 03:30 PM
  Record your first sighting of domestic Christmas decorations here! Dolores 58 4,461 27-05-2007 05:23 AM
Last Post: Seabreeze