Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to find a Church?
10-10-2005, 05:17 PM
How to find a Church?

I want to start attending Church - but I don't know what kind of Church would be best for me. Without trying them all....how would I know what type of Church I'd be suited to.....?

Can someone explain to me what a Charismatic Church is? I know someone who goes to a Charismatic Church, but I have no idea what it is. But just word Charismatic makes it sound interesting!

For me, there is something quite daunting about the thought of just turning up one Sunday at a Church I've never been to before. If anyone can offer me advise on how to find a Church I'd be very grateful.

Minkers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2005, 05:27 PM
How to find a Church?
Minklemar Wrote:Can someone explain to me what a Charismatic Church is? I know someone who goes to a Charismatic Church, but I have no idea what it is.

I'd have thought the best way to find out would be to go along and see for yourself. But barring that, I have found this:

"The Toronto Blessing" is a movement that began in 1994 at the Toronto Airport Vineyard Church. Since that night, on any given evening, if one entered a service at the church, one may encounter some "strange" activities which include people barking like dogs, roaring like lions, laughing hysterically, or acting as if they were drunk. The "Toronto Blessing" is a movement that finds its roots in the Charismatic Movement which, in turn, emerges from Pentecostalism.

...The "strange," "free move" associated with the "Toronto Blessing" has stirred controversy within the Christian faith. The opponents, including many people who also are in the Pentecostal faith, argue that the activities taking place at the nightly services are demonic, strange and should not occur in the church. However, many Pentecostals argue that the "Toronto Blessing" is a genuine manifestation of God's Holy Spirit, in which people are receiving healing, joy, peace, and faith. How can one determine the validity of the "interesting" manifestations? Is it a move of God for people to walk around a church and cluck like chickens or suddenly fall to the floor (better know as "slain in the spirit" by Pentecostals)?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
10-10-2005, 06:12 PM
How to find a Church?
You remind of DI Rebus of Ian Rankin fame - he was always searching for a church and hasn't yet found one that he is comfortable with, although from what I remember reading he felt most at ease with a Catholic priest but did not feel comfortable with their faith..........sorry, Mink I digress.

I have never heard of a Charasmatic Church before, you are right it does sound interesting! Big Grin

I was lucky enough to find a really good church with an excellent minister and the community within are just really friendly! I had used the church hall on many occassions for music groups, toddlers and I joined the Women@Wardie group there. I never ever felt the need to join the church but had heard that the minister there was really nice. I had gone along to see one of the babies who went to the toddlers get christened and that particular sermon that day, just struck a cord with recent events that had been going on my life. I started going along a few more times and my daughter joined the Sunday School. The community within that church were the ones that made it, as I have said everyone was so friendly and so welcoming. I went along quite regularly, helped out with the creche rota, the Sunday School but it took me 4 years of doing that before I decided to join the Church. I went along to an Emmaus Course and really enjoyed, again it was my minister who made it enjoyable. I don't go along every Sunday as sometimes the pressures of everyday life just doesn't make that possible but I feel comfortable being there and I don't feel a fraud.

Maybe you will have to try out a couple of churches or even ask to speak to the minister. I do think that a good minister within a Church can make a huge amount of difference.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2005, 07:59 PM
How to find a Church?
Minks...i go to what some would call a charismatic church....it's not as wild as some but it shares alot of the more common features.

Basically we have a worship team, we sing modern sounding songs as well as some of the older traditional stuff done in a more upbeat way. Instead of the traditional organ playerwe have a guitarist, keyboard player, singers, percussionists (me) and well basically more of a band set up.

The atmosphere is a lot less formal than a traditional church, people wear whatever they feel comfortable in as apposed to having a Sunday best suit, although this is perfectly acceptable to. We rarely do stand up sit down shared readings and our church leader doesn't wear a dog collar. Various people in the church bring words based on the bible and personal testimony and its not unusual for people to pray and sing in tongues....a kind of funny sounding, foriegn language which is deemed a gift of God which is a personal way of communicating with him.

Depending on which church you go to depends on how excitable the worship can become...ours is just right for me, not too O.T.T. (if you hear of a local Vine Yard church mine is kinda like that although it isn't part of their network).

Basically though Minks I would say go along to a few of your local churches and see which one you feel most comfortable to worship in. I love my church and I know that if it wasn't the type of church it is I would have lost my faith long ago, they keep it real and I feel able to praise God and be me in his presence when we meet on a Sunday.

All the best!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
10-10-2005, 09:09 PM
How to find a Church?
Coastie Wrote:Minks...i go to what some would call a charismatic church....it's not as wild as some but it shares alot of the more common features.

Basically we have a worship team, we sing modern sounding songs as well as some of the older traditional stuff done in a more upbeat way. Instead of the traditional organ playerwe have a guitarist, keyboard player, singers, percussionists (me) and well basically more of a band set up.

The atmosphere is a lot less formal than a traditional church, people wear whatever they feel comfortable in as apposed to having a Sunday best suit, although this is perfectly acceptable to. We rarely do stand up sit down shared readings and our church leader doesn't wear a dog collar. Various people in the church bring words based on the bible and personal testimony and its not unusual for people to pray and sing in tongues....a kind of funny sounding, foriegn language which is deemed a gift of God which is a personal way of communicating with him.

Depending on which church you go to depends on how excitable the worship can become...ours is just right for me, not too O.T.T. (if you hear of a local Vine Yard church mine is kinda like that although it isn't part of their network).

Basically though Minks I would say go along to a few of your local churches and see which one you feel most comfortable to worship in. I love my church and I know that if it wasn't the type of church it is I would have lost my faith long ago, they keep it real and I feel able to praise God and be me in his presence when we meet on a Sunday.

All the best!

Reading that makes me think that our church is kind of charasmatic! We have a band and the kids come in to the begining of the service. And this week our minister gave a speech from a Ronnie Barker thread! The only downside to him is that he supports Hibs! :ninja:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
10-10-2005, 09:24 PM
How to find a Church?
More and more churches are using bands for the worship now Bella as there are so many great songs out there that don't conform to the traditional hymnal style.

You do get some churches...more likely to be called 'Evangelical' which can be very hyper and excitable and I enjoy that format once in a while but to much does my head in. We have a nice balance at my church...we meet in a local school at the moment as our little hall is having some major refurbishment work done...most people who visit us say our forty or so members are more like one big family than a church and are amazed at how we all get on. If you want to put my church in a more easily recognisable group as it were we fall under the umbrella of 'Community Church'. We have house groups aka home groups once a week, usually on a Wednesday or Thursday evening which are basically groups of around ten church members meeting around each others houses and sharing and praying with each other as well as studying the bible. This is also a good way for newer memebrs to get to know a few people well early on.

Most of the members of the church tithe (give 10% of their salaries to the church) but there is no heavy handedness involved....people do it because they want to.

The thing with finding a church is that you really do need to feel comfortable there. It's important that you can express your faith in a way that you enjoy and are able to feel supported as and when you need it. People are different so what is right for one person may not be for another hence all the different styles of churches that are around these days. God loves varity and so enjoys them all!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
11-10-2005, 07:45 AM
How to find a Church?
Minks I have never heard of a Charismatic Church either. But it sounds lovely. As you know I am deeply invovled with our church, in many ways; choir, admin, PCC, and actually leading the Family services.

I do get a bit dissallusioned sometimes, when I hear, primarily the older generation, moan about progress and modernisation within the church. But the congregation numbers are falling every year. And I beleive this is because there are alternatives that are not so formal and more welcoming.

I am not sure about every church or faith, but within the Anglican church, there are lots of different types of services. And reading the description of a Charismatic Church above, it sounds like our family services, I always have percussion insturments that everyone in the whole congregation play - it is MAD!! We have a walking hymn, this is great interaction for the little children to be part of something tangible.

The sermon generally always has a 'freebie' [an acorn, a daff buld, a colouring picture etc - and more often than not the sermon begins with a quiz]. So it sounds very charismatic.

However we also have a very old and traditional service [The Book of Common Prayer], which is very thee and thou - but I actually enjoy this one as well, maybe once a month.

I think to find what you want Minks, the only way is to explore and research ALL different types of faiths/churches. Even within the same faith churches vary immensely!!

Good luck!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

11-10-2005, 09:05 AM
How to find a Church?
This thread strikes a cord with me too.

Having moved to the country i have found that more and more people seem to go to church here. I have always enjoyed going to church, but in truth i only seem to go when there is a wedding or funeral to attend. I find a sense of peace though when im sat there, in a beautiful building, listening to someone talking 'sense'.

When i walk the dog on a Sunday i hear the church bells, and a smile comes on my face. Its one of my favourite sounds.

A few weeks ago i mentioned going to church to Mr.B and he said he would never go. He used to be head choirboy in church when he was younger (he even did a solo on Songs of Praise) and feels he has "done his bit". So i would have to go alone - and the thought scares me. I dont even know what time the church 'opens' :wink2:

Also - do you have to go to the Church in your village ? I have one in our village, but the one i want to go to is in the next. Am i allowed to go there ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
11-10-2005, 09:05 AM
How to find a Church?
Mink if you are truly looking for a church for religious reasons, then try and exercise some faith and pray for God to lead you to the Church that is right for you. Smile

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
11-10-2005, 12:07 PM
How to find a Church?
Thanks everyone for your input.

SF - I should have mentioned....the Church that I was talking about in the first post is at the other end of the country to where I live, and I don't know of any Charismatic Churches in my area.

Bella, Flip and Coastie - your Churches sound great...I hope I can find one that I can be a part of the way you are with yours (although I won't be leading any services like Flip though!)

Like Bonnie I will be attending Church on my own....and I do feel a little apprehensive about it. I think I'll have to get a local paper and see what Churches there are in my area.

Tigger - I'm going to take your advice and do exactly as you have suggested....thank you Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I challenge you to find.... floopy 22 3,050 05-06-2008 07:31 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Celebrities You Find Irritating - and why..... Pandora 34 2,453 26-09-2005 04:30 PM
Last Post: Pandora
  Can you help me find this book? dab 5 927 18-12-2004 07:33 PM
Last Post: kookycat