Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate my fish....
21-08-2005, 02:11 PM
I hate my fish....

A couple of years back I started a thread about a new aquarium that I was planning to buy.

I loved it at first, but now I'm bored of it. Fish just sh!t so much. I clean the tank out every 2/3 weeks and its a real chore cos it STINKS. You can't stroke fish or take them out for a walk or communicate with them. And they are horrid to each other! They will nibble each other fins and eat their own babies (cannablistic b'stards).

I wish I hadn't bought the tank. And Dol - Groucho - I so do not want to hear any "I told you so" type comments.

There were a few members who bought acquariums around the same time as me. Is anyone else eqully disillusioned?

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2005, 02:13 PM
I hate my fish....
Fish are for my hubby to catch and me to eat:ninja:

[Image: 429.gif]
21-08-2005, 02:28 PM
I hate my fish....
Hi Karen

I set up a new aquarium a couple of years ago too. I started off with coldwater fish but they were more expensive than some of the tropical fish and they didn't seem to live very long so I bought a heater and changed to tropical.

I was told that Platy's are the best tropical fish for beginners because they're hardy. I have two females who are pregnant at the moment and I'm looking everyday to see if I can see the baby fry Smile

Joy Smile

[Image: chatdaily_sig.gif]

www.chatdaily.co.uk
21-08-2005, 02:32 PM
I hate my fish....
Joy Wrote:Hi Karen

I set up a new aquarium a couple of years ago too. I started off with coldwater fish but they were more expensive than some of the tropical fish and they didn't seem to live very long so I bought a heater and changed to tropical.

I was told that Platy's are the best tropical fish for beginners because they're hardy. I have two females who are pregnant at the moment and I'm looking everyday to see if I can see the baby fry Smile

Joy Smile

Hi Joy

My acquarium is tropical too.

Re; your prgnant fish. Have you got a nursery basket? If not, then get one immediately, because when those baby fish are born they will need to separated from the rest of the fish asap. If they aren't, they will get eaten. A nursery basket will allow them to stay separate from the rest of the fish until they grow to a big enough size to avoid being chomped.

21-08-2005, 02:44 PM
I hate my fish....
Hi Karen

No I don't have a nursery basket. Different people tell you different things and some people are against using them because they distress the fish. They also suggest not using them because the tank will become over-crowded and most aquatics shops won't have the fry off you and then you're stuck with 100's of fish.

Platy's are very good at hiding and as long as you have plenty of places to hid, like plants, driftwood etc, in the tank, them some of them survive. The two females who are pregnant at the moment were fry from a previous mating.

Joy Smile

www.chatdaily.co.uk
21-08-2005, 02:48 PM
I hate my fish....
Joy Wrote:Hi Karen

No I don't have a nursery basket. Different people tell you different things and some people are against using them because they distress the fish. They also suggest not using them because the tank will become over-crowded and most aquatics shops won't have the fry off you and then you're stuck with 100's of fish.

Platy's are very good at hiding and as long as you have plenty of places to hid, like plants, driftwood etc, in the tank, them some of them survive. The two females who are pregnant at the moment were fry from a previous mating.

Joy Smile

Perhaps you are right. I guess you just gotta do what you think is best. But we've had 3 pregnancies since we first got the acquarium and oly 1 baby (out of literally dozens) has survived to adulthood. The rest all got munched.

You're right when you say that the fry are excellent at hiding - they are! But the problem is when you clean the tank. Because during that process you can't help exposing the fry.

But yeah, to an extent some of them need to be eaten, otherwise you'd just get a consistently bigger population,

21-08-2005, 02:54 PM
I hate my fish....
Hi Karen,

I'm always very careful when I'm cleaning the tank with fry. I have a large stone at the back of the tank where the fry hide and I only clean the area in front of the rock so as not to disturb them.

Platy's are very small fish and as long as the fry can hide for a few days then they don't normally get eaten because they're too big to fit in the mouth of the adult Platy's.

I also have four very young catfish and they never seem to bother with the fry because I've watched them.

What kind of tropical fish do you have?

Joy Smile

www.chatdaily.co.uk
21-08-2005, 02:54 PM
I hate my fish....
I was another one of those enthusiastic acquarium people karen, and like you I am fed up with it. It takes up too much room and is too much work. I am waiting the days out until the fish die, but I guess that will be a long time yet.

Regarding the platys, we bought some female ones and one was pregnant. It had the fry and one of them survived and grew to a big size in the plant growth hidden from the other fish. Smile

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
21-08-2005, 02:59 PM
I hate my fish....
Joy Wrote:What kind of tropical fish do you have?

We've got two Silver Sharks which are very striking looking, but I suspect are getting too big for our acquarium. We've also got 3 Mollys, 4 Platys and 3 Black Widow Tetra's. The Tetra's are horrible - they bully the other fish and each other and barely qualify as "community fish" IMO.

21-08-2005, 03:00 PM
I hate my fish....
tigger767 Wrote:I was another one of those enthusiastic acquarium people karen, and like you I am fed up with it. It takes up too much room and is too much work. I am waiting the days out until the fish die, but I guess that will be a long time yet.

That's the approach we are taking too. But the little buggers seem to have a longer than expected lifespan.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fish Figaro 18 2,297 17-10-2007 05:58 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Dont you just hate it when...... Groucho 2,351 78,324 19-07-2007 06:10 AM
Last Post: Buzz
  i hate my boss kookycat 4 807 18-11-2006 04:59 PM
Last Post: Bonsai
  DYJLIW & DYJHIW - when you love & hate it in one! ils 250 7,992 12-11-2006 08:46 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Fish Question Bella 4 994 26-05-2005 04:47 PM
Last Post: Gelastic
  Words or expressions you hate.... Dolores 25 2,009 25-05-2005 06:19 PM
Last Post: Gelastic
  What do you hate about Christmas? maxine 25 2,129 16-12-2004 11:41 AM
Last Post: ils
  Another Fish Question............. Bella 5 853 30-11-2004 03:38 PM
Last Post: Bonsai
  Advice needed - yet another Fish thread! karenh 14 1,659 22-11-2004 11:10 PM
Last Post: karenh