Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Embarrassed About Gaming
01-09-2006, 09:55 PM

Taken from here which was part of a wider (and very interesting article) here

"I've spoken with people over the years who confess to me that they're gamers, too, as if we're part of some giant Gamer's Anonymous group trying to break the habit. Of course, it doesn't help the situation when the media portrays gamers as geeky, unwashed loners who can't communicate with "normal" people. But the gazillions of people playing World of Warcraft tell a different story."

:ranting:

Why, after all these years, are gamers like myself still portrayed like this? My god, almost everyone has a PC nowadays and/or a games console...I just don't understand :confused:

"While in my head time is collapsing and the currents run cold"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2006, 09:57 PM
HushTheVoices Wrote:Taken from here which was part of a wider (and very interesting article) here

"I've spoken with people over the years who confess to me that they're gamers, too, as if we're part of some giant Gamer's Anonymous group trying to break the habit. Of course, it doesn't help the situation when the media portrays gamers as geeky, unwashed loners who can't communicate with "normal" people. But the gazillions of people playing World of Warcraft tell a different story."

:ranting:

Why, after all these years, are gamers like myself still portrayed like this? My god, almost everyone has a PC nowadays and/or a games console...I just don't understand :confused:

What's a games console? Is it software that say 'Aww, never mind' when you lose?

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Hush, you just admitted to spending 18 months on the same game! That's why gamers have that reputation, cos the games they paly are so all encompasiingly blumming long that real lives get put on hols while they play.

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2006, 10:27 PM
LOL, and here we are discussing it in a forum based on a TV reality show, yet this forum isn't classed at geeky, weird maybe, but not geeky.

All playing a game like WoW really did was stop me from posting on this forum; I was still posting stuff but on a different forum related to the game and with the group of people I was playing with. Talking of which, over 6 million people play this one game...just a single game, so if you start to include other popular games like Second Life, Counterstrike, Half Life, and their ilk (let alone the increasing number of console games you can play online now), I would think the figure must run in to the 10's of millions! And who plays these games? Are they all 15 year old unwashed, overweight geeks with no friends and certainly no love-life beyond lady palm & her 5 lovely daughters? The answer is most certainly no. While, without doubt there are those who play games who fit that category exactly, like most groups they only make up a proportion of the community. Certainly while I played WoW, the vast majority of people involved were over 18, working or at University, most of them had partners, some of whom played as well. In the group I was in, we had people from all walks of life and all ages, with most of them being over 18.

The funny thing is that on-line gaming, by its very nature, is a very social experience where there is far more immediate interaction between people. Sure I played it for 18 months, and it took me away from here, but that was probably people here didn't want to discuss how to defeat a particular monster or the best way to gain in-game money.

I also think part of the problem is the genre itself, which is invariably fantasy, horror or sci-fi based, and these genres have always been looked down upon, even in a literary sense. 'Oh, so you don't like normal books then?' is a phrase I've heard more than once. I'll save that rant for another day Wink

Stands up Hello my name is HushTheVoices, I'm 35 years old and I like playing PC games
Let the healing begin Big Grin

"While in my head time is collapsing and the currents run cold"
05-09-2006, 12:37 AM
It's just stereotyping...

Dunno if you know the games, but I like final fantasy... I have spent lots of money collecting the cards from FF8 so I can play the card game (very enjoyable and addictive) in real life!

As for internet gaming, not really done much of that myself, though I did go on warcraft 3 a few times (lost every game and gave it up as a bad job)

I don't think there's anything wrong with playing or overplaying computer games, I've spent many an hour on champ manager! But it's the distinction between enjoyment and obsession that must not be crossed! 15 year old spotty teenagers have nothing better to do with their time. I'll admit I do enjoy staying in on my own and talking to this bunch of cybergeeks sometimes, or spend a night on my own playing a computer game... but I have a real life too! (I do maths at uni too, sounds like a right nerd!)

There are three types of mathmatician:
Those who can count and those who can't!
13-09-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm a bit embarrassed by my gaming addiction as well. I really have to force myself NOT to play. I've just pre-ordered a game called Company of Heroes which is due out in a couple of weeks. I'm going to have to ration myself!

There is definately a bit of a stigma associated with gaming. :kid:

I've not tried World of Warcraft but whilst looking for things to promote on SO, came across a site promising you WoW riches. Hush you might find it interesting.... lookie here

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
11-10-2006, 09:26 AM
There must be something wrong with me then (dont you dare you horrible lot) cos i hardly ever played games till now and yes i have become a bit of an addict and take it quite seriously, so much so i couldn't sleep last night as playing 30k starfighter i got hooked in and got a score of 122,434,150 and built up 43 lives still to play with then the game froze, not the computer, the game.

I was wild :boxing:

Watch out Hush i want my title back.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
12-10-2006, 08:31 AM
The above was typed by Mr.B ..... but i was his witness yesterday. He played the game for nearly three hours (we dont have a life !!) and then it froze.

To say he was vexed is an understatement.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me