Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need a favour someone ... please?
08-08-2005, 07:11 PM

We had Broadband fitted about 3 days ago, and everything seems to be going great, everything is much faster and I am really happy with it.

However, I don't need to log onto the internet anymore I just press the Broadband button on the desktop and hey presto I am connected. Now this has given me two problems, the first is stopping my eldest son, and actually the youngest, just accessing the whole wide world internet thing??

And the other is and this is where I need your assistance - I need to know if my name is appearing at the bottom of the homepage when I am not here?? Because, although I close my screens and so only have a desktop moniter showing - I am not sure whether I am actually leaving the site - or am I showing that I never leave??

I have just realised that the question I have asked is a bit hard - as how would you actually know that I am not here? I know it seems a bit daft - but I only come here in short sharp bursts during the day and am rarely here for more than an hour at a time! And I am generally always posting if I am here, if I don't post something - then I am not here.

Can anyone help?

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Flip Wrote:And the other is and this is where I need your assistance - I need to know if my name is appearing at the bottom of the homepage when I am not here?? Because, although I close my screens and so only have a desktop moniter showing - I am not sure whether I am actually leaving the site - or am I showing that I never leave??

I have just realised that the question I have asked is a bit hard - as how would you actually know that I am not here? I know it seems a bit daft - but I only come here in short sharp bursts during the day and am rarely here for more than an hour at a time! And I am generally always posting if I am here, if I don't post something - then I am not here.

Can anyone help?

I think if you have not refreshed the forum for 15 minutes (or whatever time Haddon has set it for) your name disappears from the current active users list so you would not show you are here even if you have left the window open. But the easiest way to make sure you aren't showing is to either close the window you have been using for SO or log out.

As for your other question, I am not really sure but I think if you create your own account and add a password then the boys would not be able to log on without you knowing as long as you turn the guest account off as well.
08-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks ils for that, I must remember to close my windows or probably log off would be the best way to stop this occuring?

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

08-08-2005, 07:50 PM
I don't think it really matters if you forget Flip, as after the allotted time you would disappear from view anyway, until you refresh the page again.
09-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Flip Wrote:the first is stopping my eldest son, and actually the youngest, just accessing the whole wide world internet thing??
Try the power switch. On the computer or the ADSL modem/router. Either will work. Smile

If you feel you need some parental controls, you may want to investigate suitable software. I know it's out there, but I can't personally recommend any.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!