Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think this whole family needs help!!
01-07-2006, 03:43 PM

Growing up early
A 5-year-old boy in Broward County, Fla., preparing to enter kindergarten, is believed by gender-identity experts to be the youngest kid in the country whose family supports his decision to live completely as the other sex (according to a May profile in New Times Broward-Palm Beach). The parents doubt that the unnamed now-girl (dubbed "Nicole Anderson" in the article) is "just going through a phase," because of "her" early, constant, and insistent female preferences and comments, e.g., "I want the fairy princess to come and make my penis into a vagina." (New Times Broward- Palm Beach, May 18, 2006)

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2006, 03:39 AM
oh dear...do they not realise alot of little boys go through this phase! They enjoy dressing up like mummy for a while...afterall mummy has pretty much been his world up until then! :mellow:

These parents should be prevented from breeding ever again!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2006, 09:38 AM
I think the issue that needs to be challenged here are the male/female roles shown to this child so far in its life. The idea of the female fairy/princess has always troubled me. If all the wonderful, beautiful, magical figures presented to a child are feminine - tooth fairy, beautiful princess etc., then little wonder that being a littel girl seems more attractive than being a little boy.

Going off at a tangent a little if I may:

My hairdresser is expecting her second child in October. Her little boy is two. She was asking me how we prepared Gigi for Eddie's arrival. I told her we bought her a baby doll, complete with accessories - nappies, dummies, bottles etc, so that when Eddie arrived and my time was spent looking after a new baby, she would be able to be involved. When I changed Eddie's nappy, she changed her baby's; when I fed Eddie, she gave her baby a bottle. Etc.

Kirtsy (hairdresser) thought this was a brilliant idea but said there was no way her husband would allow their son to have a doll to play with, in case he got 'confused' . Personally I think that's a really bad way to think. Eddie loves playing with Gigi's dolls, and she loves playing with cars and trains and traditional boys toys just as much as the girly ones. I think it's a real shame that there aren't many, if any, boy dolls available. I'd certainly buy pirate or elf type boy dolls if there were any around.

Children only learn what they are taught, so for a child to develop gender issues at the age of five, my immediate concern would be with how that child defines gender and how those definitions have been taught.

Yes, the whole family need help, but the parents probably need it most.

Bollox to potplants
02-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Following on from floops tangent, when my eldest was 2 or 3 and we used to go to toddler groups he loved nothing better than playing with the dolls prams and cots etc, and one of the other mums there asked me if I was at all concerned that he would be gay! When I asked her to clarify what she meant, she said that she thought he may have tendancies as he liked to play with dolls...

To this day he still loves babies, he also likes (when I am not watching) to log onto FHM images and oogle the blond ones with the big boobs! Am I concerned?? not really..
02-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Sorry, Jen, but I'm staying tangented for now.

I have a friend whose family are all convinced that their 5 year old boy is gay as he likes playing with a play kitchen and the hoover and helps around the house.

So he must therefore be gay: nothing to do with the fact that he spends all his time with his mum, who spends all her time doing the housework, and that his dad never plays with him.....:glare:

Personally I do strongly believe that people are born with their sexuality, it's not learnt - you can't turn someone gay any more than you can turn someone straight, otherwise how come so many parents are so shocked and scared by their children's life choices. Surely if nurture defined sexuality, everyone in the world would be heterosexual.

Back to MsG's 5 year old in the story. He may well grow up to be a transexual, but 5 yearts old is way way too young to experience anything approaching that. For nearly all young people, issues of sexuality and gender don't ever start until puberty.

Bollox to potplants
05-07-2006, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2006 01:10 AM by msgirl.)
Oh, floops...I have a gay brother...I wasn't saying that it's wrong for them to let him dress up, but AT HOME maybe, as children and even adults can be SOO cruel. I have a 'dress-up' center in my room as well as a 'kitchen center' and the boys are the ones in it and the girls are playing with the cars. And I ENCOURAGE them to play with whatever they want and even correct the littlest of the closed-minded when they say that this one 'shouldn't' play with this or that b/c he/she is whatever. (Same with the black/white issue I'm dealing with in a new student who scratched a little girl up b/c according to this little KKK person, she wasn't supposed to play with black kids!!)
Msboy #1 fell in LOVE with the Little Mermaid when it first came out and had a bendable 'action figure' that my hubby just died over b/c we had to take it EVERYWHERE...then there was 'Xena: Warrior Princess' and those went all over as well. I just feel that unless he's going to a very progressive school it may be very traumatizing and as his parents, I would think that they would 'consider' this...I'm with you as I believe you are sexually oriented from in utero. It is only a diatribe of allowing the child to be picked on or shunned or hurt b/c of his dress preference, b/c we can't assure that all people are capable of being tactful and understanding and open-minded as we would want everyone to be. Ya know sweetie!!???!! (Kisses)

05-07-2006, 01:19 AM
postscript:I suppose that if the paper had not reported the name and people wouldn't know for awhile, it wouldn't have struck me as bothersome, but over here, especially in the South I'm embarrassed to report, there are such bigots that I worry for the child and the family, and that's mainly what I was trying to convey...not that they are 'wrong' b/c I know people would not be so afraid of 'coming out' if people were more accepting...it's just that a 5 yr. old as a 'target' of any kind is heartwrenching for me.

BTW, msboy #1 got through his female 'action figure' stage and is totally pre-occupied with the real female action figures...not that there'd been anything wrong with him being gay.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Would you disown a family member if they were gay? Bella 63 3,578 21-10-2005 09:03 AM
Last Post: JakeyBoy