Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ITV - The Shot
16-08-2005, 10:44 AM
ITV - The Shot

Have you seen Sir Trevor advertise this? What is your shot of the last 50 years?

You can vote for what one is most significant to you:

The Shot

Looking through the images, most of which are heart-breaking I really don't think that I could choose one. Each one tells us such a different story. It is such a difficult choice. I remember the Berlin Wall coming down and just being glued to the screen and can't believe that it was almost 20 years ago, the same with Tiananmen Square, I often wonder what happened to that young guy. In recent times The World Trades will remain in everyone's minds forever and the devestating scenes from the Tsumani will be there also.

The sporting ones really should have been retitled - Best Footballing Moments with 5 of the 10 being football!!! :bag: I would have thought that Red Rum winning his 3rd Grand National was more significant than Fionavon winning, but I appreciate that, that was also a great sporting moment for racing pundits. I would have liked to have seen a better variety - Nigel Mansell winning Formuala 1 for instance, I was never a huge Mansell fan but when he won the The Championship in 1992 it was a brilliant moment. Kelly Holmes winning her double Olympic, Steve Redgrave winning his 5th Gold medal but there can only be 10, it's just a shame that football appears to dominiate it.

So what will be Your Shot?

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2005, 12:55 PM
ITV - The Shot
Like you said Bella, an almost impossible decision to make. For its effect on our everyday lives, the twin towers has got to be up there and I expect it will get most votes. But in its own way the loss of that young boys life as he cowered behind his father was just as memorable.

It also depends on your age. Younger people will see the later events as more significant having been aware of them at the time. I remember being glued to the TV as events unfolded and that seemed very significant at the time.

The only category I didn't bother looking at was the sporting photos. Although they might be significant to a few, I can't see that they're particularly important in the great scheme of things.
16-08-2005, 05:20 PM
ITV - The Shot
For me, it has to be Sept 11th. I will never forget watching it on tv that day.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
16-08-2005, 05:26 PM
ITV - The Shot
I am actually not sure about this 'award'?

Awarding a 'shot' the image of the last 50yrs is almost akin to celebrating albeit through tragic circumstances.[barring the sporting ones - although some could argue ...:whistling ]

I don't think I like this, and one of the reasons is the image I have lodged in my head is that of the first Twin Tower coming down, so despite all the other subsequent and previous tragedies - 9/11 is going to be foremost in most peoples mind [because of the horror of it in the Western World], and yet the Asian Tsunami claimed more lives and could be argued was more tragic.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

16-08-2005, 05:55 PM
ITV - The Shot
Good point Flip. The liklelihood is that the Twin Towers shot will win as there are going to be more Westerners who vote than Indonesians, even though the tsunami killed more people.
16-08-2005, 05:58 PM
ITV - The Shot
I am in agreement with Flip I am not sure about this 'award'

The choices are mostly tragic circumstance or celebrations of sporting achievements which are really incomparable....

As well as the sporting acheivements, there are another couple of strange ones in the 'World First' The Beatles first US tour and the Elvis TV performance to a 60 million audience...... they are hardly a 'shot that shook the world'
16-08-2005, 06:17 PM
ITV - The Shot
I completely missed the world first and yes I hardly think that The Beatles and Elvis can really compare to landing on the moon or going round the world solo! :ninja:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
16-08-2005, 06:25 PM
ITV - The Shot
ilovesurvivor Wrote:I am in agreement with Flip I am not sure about this 'award'

The choices are mostly tragic circumstance or celebrations of sporting achievements which are really incomparable....

As well as the sporting acheivements, there are another couple of strange ones in the 'World First' The Beatles first US tour and the Elvis TV performance to a 60 million audience...... they are hardly a 'shot that shook the world'

I too agree with you and Flip hunnie, its seems a little macarbe that so many "first shots" are from fatalities and tragedies, there must have been more "happy and good" things that have happened over the last 50 years :unsure:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
Find all posts by this user
16-08-2005, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2005 07:05 PM by Coastie.)
ITV - The Shot
Thanks for the reminder Bella...I was going to do this but had forgotten about...my votes have now been registered! :thumbsup:

I voted in terms of the shots that portrated world changing events....

9/11 shook the western world and has caused a huge increase in the amount of money spent on counter terrorism.

Gegurin was the first man in space,,,he proved it could be done and so made it easier for others to follow.

Mozambique brought to the for the true human tragedy faced by the third world every day. It meant an increased awareness an much needed aid to countries that few had thought about before.

Johnny Wilkinsons final goal sent my home land crazy. It was a time of rejoicing for a nation after a spell when there had been few reasons to cheer.

JFK - the assasination which has spouted more conspiracy theories than any other event and caused people to question their governments more than ever before about what goes on without their knowledge. It also lead to and escalation in the Vietnam war as he was no longer there to stop it.

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]