Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ian Huntley
05-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Ian Huntley

Ian Huntley has attempted suicide again in prison.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/5314944.stm

I'm finding myself thinking that if a convicted murderer choses to end their life, and they're not mentally ill, who are we to stop them?

The prison service say they have a duty to ensure that a prisoner serves his time, but should they? If a murderer can't, literally, live with their crime, should we let them end their lives?

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Ian Huntley
I thought about this when I first heard about it this morning. At first, my reaction was "shame he failed". My mind then changed from this to "no, let him live with his guilt. Holly and Jessica's families have to live with their pain every day." I know it's costing us money to keep him alive, treat his body and his mind and keep him under constant guard, but I don't feel he's suffered enough and he is trying to take the coward's way out.
05-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Ian Huntley
I agree with Patsy here why should be allowed the easy way out? Myra Hyndley campaigned for years for her freedom and she never got it, she ended her years in prison and that's what she deserved. Ian Huntly should be made to live with his guilt.

Timothy McVeigh the Oklahoma bomber went to his death a happy man as he felt he at peace whilst the family of his victims still suffer.

No, let him live the rest of his sorry life locked up!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Ian Huntley
Somehow I don't think Huntley is running away from his guilt. I reckon his suicide attempts are a spoiled-boy (albeit extreme) reaction to being locked up.

I hope they keep on reviving him and allow him to suffer.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
06-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Ian Huntley
Hmmm, so are we saying that when convicting a person of a crime, we want to punish that person and make them suffer? Rather than remove them from society for the sake of the safety of the rest of us?

I'm a bit surprised at that, tbh, cos I always felt it was about keeping them out of our way, so they can't do any more damage, but I haven't actually given it an awful lot of thought - maybe my catholic upbringing led me to assume that their real punishment would be after death, not during life.

Bollox to potplants
06-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Ian Huntley
floopy Wrote:Hmmm, so are we saying that when convicting a person of a crime, we want to punish that person and make them suffer? Rather than remove them from society for the sake of the safety of the rest of us?

I'm a bit surprised at that, tbh, cos I always felt it was about keeping them out of our way, so they can't do any more damage, but I haven't actually given it an awful lot of thought - maybe my catholic upbringing led me to assume that their real punishment would be after death, not during life.

I think it is a bit of both Floopy. I know that if a member of my family or someone close to me had been murdered I would not feel happy with the death penalty but to know that they would be spending the rest of their lives in a prison cell with absolutely no hope of freedom then yes, I would be happy that they would suffering and happy that they would not be able to cause harm to anyone else.

Ian Huntley is an arrogant man and I think Fee has hit the nail on the button, he just wants the attention to be focussed on him. If he really wanted to kill himself then I sure he think of a quicker way of doing it, instead he chooses an overdose where he can be found and saved!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Ian Huntley
Don't know about the Catholic side of it, floops, not being one myself. For me, as Bella says, it's a bit of both. Yes, of course we have to keep him locked away for the safety of the public. It's also an eye for an eye type scenario, suffering for causing suffering, which, under our legal system, means keeping him locked away.

We all teach our children to do unto others, etc, or take the consequences. There's probably much more to his "attempt at suicide" than meets the eye and I'm sure we'll find out more when the psyches have done their stuff.
06-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Ian Huntley
SHould anyone who wants to commit suicide be allowed to do it? Or do you think it's just criminals who should be left to get on with it? If the latter, does this mean that a criminal's life is worth less than anyone else's? These are just thoughts that Flooopy's post gave me.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
06-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Ian Huntley
One part of me thinks I wish he had succeeded and was now dead and off the tax payers backs but the other part of me thinks let the ba$tard rot in hell.
06-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Ian Huntley
floopy Wrote:Hmmm, so are we saying that when convicting a person of a crime, we want to punish that person and make them suffer? Rather than remove them from society for the sake of the safety of the rest of us?

I think first it should be about reform, but in cases like Huntley, then it's removal and punishment.

SF - The suicide question has got me thinking. I'll be back on that one.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ian Huntley attacked with boiling water Dolores 66 7,096 30-09-2005 01:06 PM
Last Post: Bella