Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If your friend looked silly in an outfit would you tell her?
15-04-2006, 12:33 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2006 12:38 AM by Northern angel.)

I am curious, I have only once been told that an outfit of mine was inappropriate. I had dressed for a night on the town with my boyfriend and as soon as he saw me, he booked a taxi to take me back home. His words were "Maureen you need to wear something a little less revealing, you have 3 minutes to take the red dress off, and get the next red dress on from your wardrobe. I'm sorry I had meant to tell you earlier, but you are meeting some of my work colleagues tonight".

Mm obviously didn't like the low cut dress but preferred the backless one.

I am therefore curious has something similar happened to you?

Have you ever told a friend that the outfit they were in didn't look right, or wasn't right for her, have you ever told your friend she looked ridiculous?

Have you ever tried to persuade a friend not to buy a garment because you felt it would make her look disproportionate or too tart like?

Do you think a true friend would do this to avoid personal embarrassment of your friend or yourself even though how one dresses is a personal issue?

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2006, 04:30 AM
First of all Mo, if someone told me I had 3 mins to change etc. in the tone and choice of words your b/f did that night, he'd been eating his dinner through a straw. That was domineering and I don't do domineering. My hubby will attest that I would cut off my nose to spite my face. I believe I have Oppositional Defiance Disorder and Authority Issues all of which I blame on my charges at preschool but my mother says it goes back nearly 41 years but I choose not to believe her.
As for telling someone that was a friend or relative, I'd say it in a heartbeat and would expect them to do the same to me. Hubby tells me if he doesn't like my color combos or if I need to make an adjustment of some sort, but he has never forbid me to wear anything and neither has he ordered me back home to change. He's still living...so that would show he has tact.
If you ever get to watch "Steel Magnolias", my nickname among my friends is "Wheezer" b/c of Shirley McLaine's character. Keep that in mind when asking me advise and if this is a current boyfriend, slap the sh!t out of him for sending you back to change. This is the 21st century. Women are not chattle.

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
Find all posts by this user
15-04-2006, 05:44 PM
well if my friends looked horrendous i usually say coz they usually ask and they wouldnt want to go out looking horrendous and they value my opinion. much like i value theirs and if they think something is unflattering then do it!!

kookycat? she makes exceedingly good posts

[Image: pot002.gif]

[Image: egg03061.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Friend p*ssed off at me - advice please. PJ 18 2,421 26-09-2006 11:10 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Work Colleagues / Friend Moans Bonsai 48 3,683 03-07-2006 02:25 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Silly brain waves.Alcohol induced lunches. Northern angel 25 2,415 12-03-2006 01:31 PM
Last Post: Northern angel
  The Official-ish Dublin Outfit Thread Patsy 136 5,979 19-10-2005 10:11 PM
Last Post: Flip
  Speak to my friend Patsy Cat 24 2,097 26-03-2005 03:00 PM
Last Post: Cat