Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignorance is bliss.....
10-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Ignorance is bliss.....

....not!

A 43-year-old Indian woman has been rescued after being locked up by her family in a single room for more than a quarter of a century.

Her family members in the eastern Indian state of Orissa said she was mentally ill and had to be kept apart because of her "wild behaviour".

Annapurna Sahu was confined in an abandoned outhouse - only a few feet high and without proper flooring.

The family said she was not mistreated and was given food and water regularly.

Segregated

Eyewitnesses present during the rescue operation in the town of Dhenkanal, 100km (62 miles) from state capital, Bhubaneswar, said Ms Sahu was living in inhumane conditions.

She was reportedly naked when she was found.

[Image: _40783868_pol.jpg] The outhouse was only a few feet high

Her brother, Ganeswar Sahu, said she had to be segregated from the rest of the family after she started abusing others.

She had dug up the floor of her small room, her mother, Yashoda Sahu, said.

Following her rescue, Annapurna Sahu was taken to a hospital in Dhenkanal.

Surendra Mohanty, the doctor treating her, said she had shown signs of improvement since she was admitted. She would be given a detailed examination of her mental state on Saturday, the doctor said.

District magistrate, Usha Padhi, said Ms Sahu would later be shifted to a rehabilitation home.

The cost of her treatment would be paid by the district unit of the Red Cross, she said.

A counsellor from an NGO attending Ms Sahu said she showed no sign of mental illness, though she did appear weak and emaciated. Pallavi Nanda, of the Maharshi Dayananda Saraswati Service Mission, said Ms Sahu was taking food and was responding to questions normally.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Ignorance is bliss.....
I hate to tell you, but this is far from rare in many Eastern cultures, and you can bet there are 1,000's more just like this case.

It was one of the things I got involvewd in while out there, looking for and finding children in this position. As a foreigner I encountered many problems with beurocracy (sp) as most children were well fed (too well in some cases) and clean. They were just locked in rooms all day because they had some form of handicap, and ignored by the family.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
12-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Ignorance is bliss.....
Oh my - that poor woman :blink: I wonder how she will 'cope' with the outside world after that amount of time locked away. It must be worse than a normal, in jail, type prisoner rehabilitating.

Can you remember the story of that poor boy, in America i think, but i could be wrong - who was locked in a small cage for years and years and fed scraps. Poor little love.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Ignorance is bliss.....
Here's one from March 2005:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Police Tuesday arrested adoptive parents on charges of child neglect after a six-week investigation into the treatment of a 17-year-old boy who officals say was grotesquely underweight and kept locked up.

The investigation into Brenda Sullivan, 48, and Wilson Sullivan, 55, began Jan. 10 after the Department of Children and Families hot line received an anonymous tip.

Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Chief Steve Weintraub said the teen weighed only 49 pounds and was kept in an enclosed crib "similar to a cage" that had a chain and padlock.

Police said the Sullivans have only told investigators they kept the teen inside the locked crib because he was gorging himself on food at night.

According to the police report, the 17-year-old was height of an average 9½-year-old and weight of an average 6½-year-old. The boy was wearing a diaper when found and appeared to be developmentally delayed.

"This child suffers from the result of psychosocial dwarfism and starvation," the report said.

Police said the Sullivans moved to and East Arlington home from Ohio last October. The 17-year-old, who had been with the couple for 10 years, and two 10-year-olds were immediately removed from the home.

"We were disgusted and outraged by the condition of the children at that time," John Harrell, spokesman for the child welfare agency, said in statement. "DCF has been working with law enforcement on this tragic case. We are pleased to report that the children are now safe and improving."

The 17-year-old has put on almost 30 pounds since being removed from the home.

The Sullivans are being held under $200,003 bond and are scheduled to face a judge Wednesday. Child neglect is a second-degree felony that can carry a prison sentence of up to 15 years.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
13-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Ignorance is bliss.....
Oh SF we have so many "brilliant" parents, school officials, social workers, medical folks, 'concerned' neighbors over here it's pathetic. I remember this story as all of the kids were in a state of malnutrition. There was also the mom and dad who left 3-4 children all under the age of 7(?) alone with strict orders not to go out so they could go on a 2 week cruise. Someone finally found the kids and took measures and were at the port when mom and dad got off the boat but the poor kids had been alone nearly 2 weeks. We've always got a news report at least once a week I guarantee about a group of parents going out and leaving a passel of children in the care of a 8-10 yr. old and the house catching fire while the parents were partying, etc. It's so sickning. And of course loving people desparate for children are rarely able to adopt. At one of the daycares I sub at there's a mom with 4 kids and she's 21. The state has already had to investigate her. The kids are pitiful and she's so hateful to the staff when we ask for diapers or let her know that one of them is getting sick. She was pregnant again but lost the baby and her least one is 10 mos old!!!! :ranting:

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure: