Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insomnia..
16-10-2008, 06:36 AM
Insomnia..

OK, not sure I really SHOULD be sharing personal information with you people, but what the hell.

For the last... six, seven weeks now I've been taking sleeping pills because I can't sleep. Before that point, I would lie there for a while, wide awake and then get up again, before finally going to bed at 3 or something. Or I would fall asleep at night and then wake up at 3ish and that would be me.

So my wife bought some Ginseng tablets, hearing that they worked. They didn't. So I bought some sleeping pills (Herbal Nytol) and they sucked. It got to the point where I was taking sleeping pills at night and then energy pills in the morning. Not good.

Anyway - I then bought pills called "Kalms" which, up to about a week ago, seemed to work OK.

Now though, even WITH Kalms, I'm going to sleep at 12 and waking up at 5:30, hence me being on here at this stupid time in the morning.

So, OK, the title of this thread is a little misleading and melodramatic; it's obviously NOT insomnia per se, but it's getting to be a massive pain in the ass.

So, the plan today is - buy better sleeping pills. I dunno, maybe I got too used to the Kalms or something? My wife keeps telling me to go to the doctor, but I feel like I'm never out of the damn place, and what's he going to do anyway? Give me pills.

But maybe YOU people have some suggestions? And I imagine some of you out there are tempted to suggest I try downing the whole bottle of pills, but I'm willing to try pretty much anything else..

Don't abuse children, or else they'll turn out like me.
http://www.thecurmudgeon.proboards88.com - The site to save your life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Insomnia..
Im afraid i dont have any suggestions, apart from the stuff im sure you already know which are:-

having a relaxing bath before bed
having a milky drink before bed
not drinking alcohol or caffeine 2hrs before bed
going to bed at the same time every night to get into a routine
not having the TV on in the bedroom

Im sure you have tried the above, and they dont work. They didnt for me.

I went through a long phase of not sleeping, and then snapped out of it. One day i was lying awake looking at the ceiling until 4am, and the next i was sleeping like a baby.

Im not a fan of pill taking, herbal or otherwise. But, if they help and if the doc can prescribe something ... go for it.

Have you got a lot on your mind ? Is that why you are awake ? Are you thinking about what you have to do the next day / work or jobs that need completing ? Perhaps sorting out your life will help you sleep ?

Anyway - I dont know, im waffling. I hope your sleep patterns sort themselves out soon.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
16-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Insomnia..
I go through periodic bouts of bad sleep - either total insonmia or periods of restless/broken sleep. I've pretty much tried everything over the years, from the tips that Bons suggested, to over-the-counter sleeping remedies to full-on, doctor prescribed sleeping pills. I found that the only thing that worked was the prescription pills, but they leave you feeling hungover and drowsy the following day and they can be highly addictive so I wouldn't recommend them unless in exceptional circumstances (e.g. following a bereavement). Nowdays, I just live with it and let it resolve itself.

The periods of bad sleep always pass in time, usually within a couple of weeks. The longest it ever lasted for me was about 3 months which was hell at the time, but it did resolve itself eventually.

Hope if passes soon Curmy. I feel for you.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
16-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Insomnia..
OK, cheers for the advice. I don't drink tea or coffee (and if I did, I wouldn't before bed). I don't drink Red Bull or anything like that either.

Hot milk? Does that actually work? I've never even tried milk hot before, so.. who knows? Worth a shot.

We've got a TV in the bedroom but its never on, but we do usually watch it before bed, but we've been doing that for years - why would it make a change now?

And I have all kinds of messed up stuff going on in my head 24/7. Maybe that's the case too.

Anyways, I'm going to the chemist today to see what kind of drugs I can get. Good point about the drowsiness, Karen.. hmmm. Don't know if I'd like that. The pills I take right now don't make me feel drowsy in the morning.

Oh well.. Fingers crossed.

16-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Insomnia..
That horrible '3.00 a.m. WHY can't I sleep?' anxiety is a real downer - you start thinking about your mother dying and not meeting the effing mortgage payments and why leinster didn't play better and what about all the sick puppies and you end up in a complete non sensical semi hysteria. There is no place lonlier on the planet. And your partner is sleeping beautifully. The git. But what if HE died? And we're off again. Totally sympathise with ye.

One thing that might help is to go for a walk before bed. {yay, great medical advice helen} but I have found even getting out of the house and going round the block with the mutt gives you a chance to think about stuff without being in the confines of the bedroom. And music. If the panic starts up and you just know you're not going to sleep, shove your earphones on and it might just take your mind off yourself and stop the worrying.
HTH.

bam bam
Find all posts by this user
16-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Insomnia..
Hmmm. Music and a walk. Two new things to consider. Nice.

I went down to the chemist today to see if I could get some better pills. What a waste of time that was;

Me: Do you have any sleeping pills?
Them: Um.. well, we don't really sell sleeping PILLS.
Me: Oh....really?
Them: Yes. We sell sleeping AIDS.
Me: But are they pills?
Them:.................. Yes.
Me: Riiiiight.

So I took at look at the not-sleeping pills, and what a rip off. £4 for ONE WEEK. Funk dat. I'd rather be tired. So it looks like I'll try some of the weird and wonderful things in Tesco's next.

16-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Insomnia..
The Curmudgeon Wrote:Hot milk? Does that actually work?

Apparently, it does help some people. I admit, it's never worked for me, but what it does do is make me more relaxed so even if I'm not sleeping, I'm not tossing and turning and generally making a bad situation worse.

Tigereye Wrote:One thing that might help is to go for a walk before bed. {yay, great medical advice helen} but I have found even getting out of the house and going round the block with the mutt gives you a chance to think about stuff without being in the confines of the bedroom.

Going for a walk is not a bad idea. I agree with TE that one of the keys it to stop your mind "thinking" so much. I've never gone for a walk, but I do sometimes go downstairs and read for an hour or so, and that will often clear my mind to the extent that I can just drift off to sleep.

One other thing that you could try is Night Nurse. It works for me every time, but I would only suggest doing it for one night though. It can make you feel sluggish for a few hours the following day, but sometimes one dose of Night Nurse can just break the pattern of restless sleep and get you back to normal.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
16-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Insomnia..
Similar but different is the problem of jetlag.

With the travelling I've been doing over the past 4 to 5 months I haven't had a chance to consider where or when to sleep..

in the last couple of weeks I've gone from Japan which is GST+8hrs, to London for 3 days, to San Francisco for a week which is GST-8hrs, to London for 4 days to Panama for a week which is GST-6hrs to London today.

So each time it's just long enough to start to adjust to the local time before being off again.

I seem to have mastered it without taking to anything. I think when this all stops I will just flake out and die... Quietly...

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh
16-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Insomnia..
Sleep like a baby, sleep like a log. Both odd. Babies wake up every 20 minutes and logs are dead.

I have never suffered from sleeplessness, thankfully, but then I have no conscience :w00t:

Bollox to potplants
16-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Insomnia..
The Curmudgeon Wrote:I'm going to sleep at 12 and waking up at 5:30

Er, yeah, me too. And then I go to work.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"