Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Instincts....
06-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Instincts....

How far do you feel you should be guided by instinct?

There are theories which suggest that our instincts are primeval guidance zones, that they direct use "instinctively" toward the correct course of action. And research suggests that although men and women will generally have the same instincts in similar circumstances, women are more likely to trust their instincts than men.

I'm not a big fan of these men versus women theories. I would rather like to think that the two genders are equal in all thing apart from the obvious. But, my personal experience is that this theory/research bears out.

What do you think? What is instinct? Is difference between the genders in this regard?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Instincts....
I think instinct is like intuition, it's to do with perceiving that something has happened or is likely to happen without having any hard evidence under your nose.

There's the old saying 'female intuition' suggesting that women have more of it than men.

I suppose there's another kind of instinct, the kind that animals have when they migrate, I don't know what the human equivalent of that is, I suppose specifically an instinctive sense of direction but more generally it would mean knowing something without having been taught it, something you're born with.

I'm not sure I agree with your view that men and women are the same in all regards. I'm basing that on the idea that as they are physically different there's no reason to suppose they aren't psychologically, behaviourally, different. And as there are physical similarities there wil also be psychological, behavioural similarities.

One area inwhich I think they differ is that men more often than women will use thinking to evaluate a problem whereas women are more inclined to use feelings (a feeling that something is favourable/unfavourable). The flip side of this is that quite often men's emotions seem crude or suppressed, and women's thinking can be poor or tainted by their feelings - see for instance some arguments put forward on SO. Obviously that won't apply to all men and all women.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
07-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Instincts....
We were talking about this in college the other night. Apparently 75% of men are thinkers, only 25% being feelers, (no remarks please! :w00t: ), whereas women are 75% feelers, and 25% thinkers. According to Jung these traits are innate. But one does wonder how may the old age argument of nature vs nurture come into this. Are we born this way, or is it shaped that for instance, it's sissy for boys to have emotions? I think women do tend to be more intuitive, but there are women out there who are not. The most common types for Jung's typology are IS's versus the IN's, so to be intuitive is actually not that dominate. Jung does argue that men's intuition is suppressed.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Instincts....
Oh..........

I dunno !

Let me think about it for a while and I'll get back to you!

BTW - On the juice last night Figs?
07-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Instincts....
Slipper Wrote:BTW - On the juice last night Figs?

yuo've just reminded me it's Thursday night tonight - and we all know what that means don't we!!!! :w00t: :bag:

I often think women are encouraged to go with instincts whereas men can be derided for it.

It's also about being logical (for both men and women). Often it's not instinct that stops us doing something (ie. getting on a train that crashes etc) but fate and just the way the cookie crumbles. However, hindsight is a wonderful thing and allows us to put different spin on different outcomes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user