Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insurance scams
08-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Insurance scams

We have a carpet in our house which I loathe. It's flowery and awful and I can't bear to tolerate it for much longer - it was in the house when we moved in and we can't afford to replace it at the moment. It's all over the living room, dining room, up the stairs and on the landing.

My plan was to drop a tin of gloss paint on it and claim for a new one on the house insurance. Cockers won't let me though cos he's scared - which is most unlike him btw.

So. Would you? Have you? Did you get away with it?

Share your scams here.

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Insurance scams
Big Grin I thought about the exact same thing as the carpet in the hall and stairs in this house was truly hideous - it was yellow and red and brown - I kid you not.

In the end though I just couldn't bring myself to do it, I'm a rubbish liar generally and although I honestly don't think I'd have felt too guilty I just didn't have the nerve.

I just ripped it up instead and as a result of that I still have no carpet on my stairs, but even no carpet is perferable.

Anyway so I've got no real business in here never having scammed my insurance so I'll be moving along now Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Insurance scams
Yes - done it. Or something similar anyway. It increased the monthly payments of the houseld insurance by a negligable amount, but we got a new carpet for the hallway, stairs and landing.

It wasn't a scam - it really was a genuine spillage of beetroot juice on the stairs. But the result was the same as if we'd dropped gloss paint. We claimed, we got paid, we got a new carpet. No problem. So if you acidentally spill gloss paint on the hallway stairs......
08-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Insurance scams
Figaro, I'm liking the cut of your jib

Bollox to potplants
08-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Insurance scams
Figaro Wrote:beetroot juice ...

How old are you Fig?

*snigger*

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
08-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Insurance scams
I have to hold my hand up to the tin of paint 'accident' too.

We blamed the toddlers we had at the time, tsk, milling around whilst we were trying to decorate so they wouldn't be brought up in a hovel....oopppss the lid was left of the paint for a spilt second and 'oh dear'....

result - one new carpet hall, stairs and landing.
08-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Insurance scams
Do they not send an assessor in to check the age/condition of the carpet and then pay like for like?
08-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Insurance scams
Dammit, now I'm really jealous, I should have been braver, more accident pronw... something. Oh well I know for next time. I say go for it then Floops - only you should publically state on here first that you're not going to do any such thing!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Insurance scams
I would never do such a thing. i was just testing the morality of the forum :pimp: .

Don't mind if they do like for like - valuewise, cos the existing carpet is very good quality and only 2 years old, it's just most offensive thing ever designed. Surely they don't replace pattern for pattern?? :shocking:

Bollox to potplants
08-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Insurance scams
Groucho Wrote:How old are you Fig?

*snigger*

Old enough to know the benefit of a healthy diet, but young enough to be looking forward to kids and reaching the pinnacle of my career.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Life Insurance and other morbid things ... Bonsai 23 3,399 27-02-2007 04:11 PM
Last Post: msgirl
  Car Insurance. Northern angel 3 14,957 24-04-2006 01:48 PM
Last Post: survivorfan
  House Insurance Bonsai 4 9,153 31-03-2006 06:36 PM
Last Post: survivorfan
  Family Holiday Insurance survivorfan 14 2,644 25-02-2006 11:22 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Travel Insurance Gelastic 14 3,362 01-05-2005 01:08 PM
Last Post: Flip