Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invasion of privacy or stupidity?
25-11-2005, 09:02 PM

Anyone seen http://www.192.com? I wasn't aware of it until today.

You can look up your name or your mate's name, find out what their house sold for, if it sold in the last three or four years, and find out who is living with them. The information comes from the electoral role though the site claims that there's still a large proportion of individuals whose details aren't displayed - you have to buy credits to get this info.

My details don't show and I assume that's because I checked the 'officials only to see details' option when I was filling in the last census. However, I do wonder how many people will be surprised to see themselves, their family members and the price of their home on display for all and sundry.

Click the property prices link on the homepage, fill in the name of your road, and you can see what the neighbours house was up for. How do they get this information?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2005, 11:04 PM
I've seen the house prices one before on a different site and had a nosey at what people had paid for their houses on our road.
But i didn't know about the electoral role info.
But like you Nox, I ticked the box on the council form to not give others my details.
It's amazing who can get their hand on information all about you.
You think you've got a private life, but you haven't really.

[Image: 429.gif]
26-11-2005, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2005 08:03 AM by Coastie.)
I've known for a while that junk mailers can get hold of copies of the electoral role for a few quid....I think it's bang out of order.

I mean you are strongly encouraged to register (as it helps the govenrment know how many people are around) and yet they then go and betray your trust by flogging your info to recycle bin fillers! :ranting:

My details didn't come up on this site though!

My brothers did and it mentions his partner at the same address as well!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
26-11-2005, 10:19 AM
I think it's flipping outrageous :ranting: It's all very well coming up with names and phone numbers - you can get that information from any phone book so no big deal - but to give out personal details from the Land Registry about how much people paid for their houses is just not on!!

I'm not particularly bothered who knows how much I paid for my property but there must be a lot of people who, for one reason or another, would rather not have it made known.

I find it scary and makes me wonder what other personal information is out there if you know how or where to look :mad2:
26-11-2005, 12:09 PM
So does this mean that I can now stop obsessively shredding any thing with my name and address on it as it's out there for all and sundry to know anyway? they don't even have tog et there hands dirty rifling through my dustbin to steal my identity...way to go
Find all posts by this user
26-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi I'm Buzz and I'm in the Stapler business! :whistling:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]