Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Political Correctness on the Wain?
31-08-2005, 10:53 AM

Just occurred to me this morning, watching the adverts whilst getting ready, as you do. They are gearing adverts for household/family orientated items back towards "Mum" again. Makes Mum's life easier, that kind of thing. Made me remember that that's how adverts used to be before PC went mad

Also, comedy programmes, Little Britain being a prime example, is blowing PC out of the water and allowing us to laugh at ourselves. Marjorie Dawes, the way she is with Mira. She can't understand what she's saying, so she says it's "probably something about curry". That's not being racist to Mira, it's poking fun at people like Marjorie who, I know, really do exist. I'm sure a programme like this would never have been allowed in the 80s and 90s. Love Thy Neighbour did exactly the same thing, but was superceded by programmes like "Mixed Blessings" which had a very PC mixed black and white couple (for those of you who remember it, it was sh!te). I seem to remember that Cat quite liked the bloke, Christopher something or other.

Anyway, over to you lovely lot.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2005, 11:19 AM
I don't know if Political Correctness is on the wane exactly (its practically an industry! ), but perhaps it is a little less fervent than it once was.

Its a good point though Patsy, because much as the Media and Advertising can shape the way we think, they also reflect the way that society thinks! But whether these programmes / adverts are "shaping" or "reflecting" the mood of the nation is difficult to say.

I'd like to think that they are "reflecting" the mood of the nation, and that these programmes are a sign that, as a society, we have moved on from the narrow-minded bigottry that was prevalent in the 80's / 90's. Whilst racism and sexism still exist today, 20 years ago they were the accepted mode of thought. Nowdays such attitudes are widely regarded as being in the domain of retards and dinosaurs. So, we feel free to laugh at them in a non-PC way, secure in the knowledge that no-one is going to take it seriously. 'Cos its a joke!

One thing that hasn't changed in 20 years though is that, in most households, the mother still does the shopping, washing etc. so it makes sense to target such adverts at that audience. The only difference is that nowdays, many such mother either have, or have had a career of their own. Many of them are financially independent of men. So they don't need to feel marginalised or pigeon-holed by such advertising.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Patsy, you've got no business starting threads. Get back in the kitchen.

Karen, I suggest you leave thinking about such difficult subjects to us menfolk.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
31-08-2005, 03:44 PM
I sense some bad rep. coming my way...

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
31-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Oh you're a brave man Blink! :laugh:

bam bam
31-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Tigereye Wrote:Oh you're a brave man Blink! :laugh:

Isn't he just :laugh:

I'll try and think of a suitable reply while I'm doing the washing up and ironing......

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
31-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Know your place Karenh............imagine answering back in such a fashion to an obviously all knowing, completely correct man being such as Blink! :laugh: :laugh:

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
01-09-2005, 08:31 AM
I'll tell you what is rather intruiging. In the excellent news round up magazine The Week (all of the best stories from all national newspapers around the world). They run a regular column called "PC Watch" where they run stories of silly PC acts by schools, local aucthorities etc around the UK. In the last month the column has been renamed "Signs of our times"

Now was that because "PC Watch" was too un-PC?

Now that would be ironic! :blink:

**I heart Northern Soul**
01-09-2005, 08:57 AM
IsLe Of WeAtHeR Wrote:They run a regular column called "PC Watch" where they run stories of silly PC acts by schools, local aucthorities etc around the UK.
If i saw an article called 'PC Watch' i would assume they were discussing the local police force :blink:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
03-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Dont think so Patsy.

Take a look at the jobs section of The Guardian.

There are usually a large number of totally daft positions being advertised.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Does anyone want to confess what political party they have voted for? Northern angel 51 2,747 21-04-2006 02:20 PM
Last Post: Northern angel